Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing a new gates belt is a $30 upgrade that can be done at the time of installation.

The R4 is made to be tuned ... not an out of the box 100% solution right away....but once tuned its great.

... if you don't want to tune it or do anything .. just install it and drive off .. HKS (now they they have fixed their issues) will be your safest bet.

If you want more power for the money, get a Vortech and get it tuned.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:56 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL the SUPER CHARGERS will be the safest !!!!!!!!!

VORTECH....I have....Doesnt need software upgrade...there is none...Only can be tuned to make more hp . The tune out of the box is VERY safe and runs rich . Belts...stock belt needs to be tightened all the time.....get a gates belt to take care of that . Most other problems are of installation problems .

ATI....Needs some type of timing control . TS can flash the ECU to take care of every thing . Has the ability to spin faster than the other SCer's and can make the most hp.

HKS...Dont know any thing about it . But with there engine management I would amagine its real safe.

Stillen....From what Ive read on this forum.....There is a lot of problems with belts being chewed up..I believe its from bad alignment . Good trq. down low . With stock pulley only 300whp. Stillen them selves can be a pain in the a$$ to deal with
Old 03-19-2005, 12:08 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Ok I think I will be going the Vortec Route
VORTECH....I have....Doesnt need software upgrade...there is none...Only can be tuned to make more hp . The tune out of the box is VERY safe and runs rich . Belts...stock belt needs to be tightened all the time.....get a gates belt to take care of that . Most other problems are of installation problems .
What is a "gates belt"?
Can an intercooler be used with this setup. If not are Engine Temps a problem?....I live in AZ.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 03-19-2005, 12:10 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by EnthuZiast
Jim-

What boost do you feel Vortec is safest at? What all do I need to buy with it??
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Tom

P.S. how is the projector? Still making your own speakers
Tom,

The Vortech is safest at its stock 8psi setting with all the stock parts w/ new gates belts. You need to add nothing, however, I personally would add gauges for peace of mind.

The PJ is great ... but I am thinking bigger and better now .... next screen will be 100+" .. so that means I need a 7210

I am still doing the speaker thing .. got a 2.5way Vifa/Seas setup that I am working on now ... and I am fully expecting it to rival anything in the $3k range, easy. I also have a lil' Seas Excel bookshelf that I am working on ... but its on the backburner for now.....I just got a new job and I am moving to downtown now ... agghhh.

I would suggest you check out the Turbonetics kit ... I think it might fit you budget, be safe and be future ready (think built motor) .... that and APS are the reason I sold my Vortech ... I am now in the deciding process .... I will be doing something probably mid-summer
Old 03-19-2005, 12:19 PM
hank_4g63t

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone went retarded with a supercharger? People that have tt and run 650hp spend what? $25,000 to make everything perfect? Why hasn't anyone got a built supercharger? Keep in mind how many 5000hp dragsters use turbos? How many use superchargers? I am just tired of seeing everyone post how the only way to make power is with a turbo. When you look at the picture build your engine find a fat supercharger and fit it, tune it, etc. and you would have spent roughly the same as the turbo guy did and you would have the same amount of power without lag. I have just been curious why it hasn't even been whispered yet.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:34 PM
booger

Originally Posted by hank_4g63t
What I want to know is why hasn't anyone went retarded with a supercharger? People that have tt and run 650hp spend what? $25,000 to make everything perfect? Why hasn't anyone got a built supercharger? Keep in mind how many 5000hp dragsters use turbos? How many use superchargers? I am just tired of seeing everyone post how the only way to make power is with a turbo. When you look at the picture build your engine find a fat supercharger and fit it, tune it, etc. and you would have spent roughly the same as the turbo guy did and you would have the same amount of power without lag. I have just been curious why it hasn't even been whispered yet.
Have you seen the engine bay of a G35 or a 350Z ??????
Unless you want a big twin screw sticking 3 feet out of the top of the hood , there is no place to put any thing any bigger
Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by hank_4g63t
Because the ATI is the only unit capable of higher boost in stock form. The V2SQ that comes with the Vortech is near its max warranteed impeller speed. It can be overspun, as many owners do without problems .. but why push it. I know that blowers are great for big power. ... I come from a mustang background ... where turbos are few and far between.

Tom, the Vortech comes with a front mount intercooler, just like the turbo kits, in fact, their front mount in made by Turbonetics. You may want to get a new thermostat and a bigger radiator for the excessive heat where you live ... that is for ANY FI that you choose.

The gates belts are a new brand of belts that work better with the system than the stock ones. It's like replacing a bike chain with a nicer one ... these just work better.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

the superchargers like the vortech and stillen etc... cannot produce the high boost figures needed for a fully "blown" track motore'd Z. I'm hella sure it's possible though, but it would all be custom. I agree, that it would be pretty nice to see, regardless of the hood etc.... after all it would be track only.

theoretically, both a centrefugial SC and turbo could push just as much air, in the same trim. however the SC is reliant on being belt driven and thus can only spin as fast as the motor, or the setup of the SC will allow.
a turbo on the other hand will spin as fast as the exhaust gas can push it, so the more hp the motor has, theoretically, the faster the motor can spin that turbo.

of course you will need the proper setup and tune to do any of this, and there are ways around a lot of things with both sc and turbo, if you tune and build it properly.

Last edited by Tony@Performance; 03-19-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:46 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by booger
Have you seen the engine bay of a G35 or a 350Z ??????
Unless you want a big twin screw sticking 3 feet out of the top of the hood , there is no place to put any thing any bigger
you could have Vortech rework a S-trim to make it flow a lot more .... but you will never reach the 20+ psi that the tubos will outside of a T or Ysi or something else the size of a basketball
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
booger

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
you could have Vortech rework a S-trim to make it flow a lot more .... but you will never reach the 20+ psi that the tubos will outside of a T or Ysi or something else the size of a basketball
I may end up upgrading the bearings in mine to be able to spin it faster
Old 03-19-2005, 02:16 PM
weslutes

The Eaton M90 could push 10-15 pounds.With a custom upper plenum and a little bigger hood bulge,the M90 could work on my setup.Probably cost $2000 with the hood redone.This may be my next stage after building the motor & pushing what I have to 8-10lbs with more n20
Old 03-19-2005, 04:12 PM
EnthuZiast

Thanks guys. Jim take pics of the speakers if you get a chance!
I will send it to the B&O corporate email. Maybe it will get someones attantion..
So the Vortec comes with an instercooler...SWEET!
Now Jason@Performance says I should get a Camber kit. Do you guys think this kit will significantly improve power to the ground?

Also what width tires would you recommend? Right now I am running 245 width on all 4 corners w/18" Rims.

One last ?: I LOVE the sound of the NISMO exhaust. Do you think it will give me any gains with the Vortec?

Thanks Again!

Tom
Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 PM
G352NV

I just installed the Vortech. Its was a very nice system to install although the instructions suck ****! I also just bought a air/fuel boost and EGT. Ive put about 50 miles on it so far. Until I get my gauges Im not going to push it to hard. Ive gotten on it a couple times but nothing REALLY hard. I can tell you Im going to be happy with this system. Today it was raining and I was on the freeway. I downshifted to 3rd hit the gas and had wheel spin through 4th gear until I hit 5th. I know the road was wet but I felt like the car was making a lot of power. I think the question you have to ask yourself is, do I drive my car alot. I think the Vortech gives you the best of both worlds. A bit of power and piece of mind! Plus the sound of this kit is off da fuggin chain!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

For supercharger...I would say HKS, as it is made for a BONE STOCK 350Z.

For turbocharger...I would say Turbonetics, as it is also made for a BONE STOCK 350Z.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:00 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by EnthuZiast
Thanks guys. Jim take pics of the speakers if you get a chance!
I will send it to the B&O corporate email. Maybe it will get someones attantion..
So the Vortec comes with an instercooler...SWEET!
Now Jason@Performance says I should get a Camber kit. Do you guys think this kit will significantly improve power to the ground?

Also what width tires would you recommend? Right now I am running 245 width on all 4 corners w/18" Rims.

One last ?: I LOVE the sound of the NISMO exhaust. Do you think it will give me any gains with the Vortec?

Thanks Again!

Tom
Is your car lowered? If not, I see no reason to get one ... it is used to correct overly negative camber from 1" + drop in ride height.

A suggestion for rear tire would be to go at least 275 if you can fit it.

The nismo exhaust may increase output somewhat ... just so you know this will add SIGNIFICANT power to your car, in a very linear manner.

Idea of power increase.
If you dyno your car today you SHOULD put down 225-240whp.
If you install the Vortech kit and get it tuned well, you WILL put down 365-400whp.
That is a HUGE difference.

Also not, like Niss said ... the HKS kit is made for a car that is stock ... and unless you want to get into some really expensive engine management software ... will NOT take well to any mods at all.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:15 AM
EnthuZiast

Man this keeps getting harder. I want something I can put on...have tuned...and almost never have to think about again.

Is this not the case with Vortec? Should I spend the extra $ and go HKS?
ALso I thought the Camber setting aloud for the more of the tire to touch road when the car squats down during hard acceleration??

Thanks for answering all my "newbie-like" questions. Believed me Ive searched and read and searched but I am looking for some real time answers as I am looking to make this purchase fairly soon.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:30 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the supercharger shootout sport Z magazine did. Just looking at the dyno's made me want to go with Stillen. But then again I can't afford to have my engine replaced if the tuner screws up.

Has anyone heard of a Stillen blower destroying and engine yet?
Old 03-20-2005, 05:40 AM
EnthuZiast

I think Stillen at stock boost has NEVER blown an engine.
where is the link to this shootout?

NEVER MIND: http://www.sportzmagazine.com/Z_Downloads.htm

Last edited by EnthuZiast; 03-20-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Gman2004

I never heard of blown vortech on stock boost either. I believe the vortech out of the box should put down more than the stillen....330ish rwhp. You can install the vortech and not have it tune. It is very conservative with the settings that come from vortech....pig rich and a lot of timing is pulled.

In Stage 2 trim, the unit produces approximately 70 horsepower to the wheels...You can do this with n/a mods for the about the same price and put less strain on the motor....Not enough power for the money IMO.

Javi put down 295rwhp on these mods:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/112939-update-295whp-n-a-with-ts-reflash.html

JWT Cams
JWT Flywheel
JWT Filter
NISMO Headers
Greddy EVO Dual Exhaust
Unorthodox Crank pulley
Crawford V1 Plenum
NGK Iridium Plugs
Cat pipes
EVO Throttle Body
Old 03-20-2005, 07:01 AM
cjb80

A supercharger is a method of pressurizing air before it enters the motor, and it does nothing more. What the ECU does with the extra air is what will cause your motor to last or blow up. Any supercharger will be fine as long as the ecu, or ecu/piggyback combo handles the fuel and timing properly...... The better question is which supercharger system has the best engine management.

Quick Reply: Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...