Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:38 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

____________________________________________________________ __
So HKS is out

Now out of the Stage-3 Stillen, Vortech and Pro-Charger

Which one is the best for stock internals???
Which whistles the least but has the best BOV sound?
Which has the best engine-management for a complete install and forget about it solution??
Which out-of-the-box solutions yeilds a realistic 80-100rwhp w/ little to no outside tuning???

I have been in Greddy TT and ATI procharged Z's....completely diff feel....so I am ready to take the superchrgr plunge but really want an install and drive type system...hence why I am no longer going turbo...i just wanna have it installed and forget about constant remapping and what not....

____________________________________________________________ _____

We have the same dilemna. I just want something put on and then NO worries. As far as I know a stock STILLEN charger has never blown an engine. I am fairly certain a Vortec on stock boost has but it seems like the odds are very low.

Why is this so damned hard for me to figure out!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
JimRHIT

Becasue it isn't just $6000 and be done with it ... you need to have a spare $4500 if anything goes wrong .... thats what makes this difficult
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Gman2004

what type of fuel management does the ATI have? Would be curious to see what an ATI with a greddy emanage or even better, HKS pro v would do.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:13 PM
EnthuZiast

Youre right Jim. I should know better...you get what ya pay for and there is no 100% safe.

May I ask what the $4500 would be for?
Also why size/Type tires did you put on the rear. i was thinking about teh Micheline Pilot Sport PS2.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:17 PM
JimRHIT

The spare money is a motor replacement in case anything goes wrong ... ever. It's just a "in case I need it" fund when you go FI.

Toyo T1S 275s do fine for traction. PS2s are great, but pricey.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 PM
NoahzBurnt

Ahh hi love that fund......I've had quite a few FI cars so fortunately I have already gone thru the "let me just tighten the wastegate to raise the base boost and BAM...why does the boost guage read 0" stage already....

I was actually looking to change my hood but the Stillen one is just horrible...i owuld like to have a custom-raised Kaminari hood but what a waste of $1200...I think I may go VORTECH with a Greddy Type-RS BOV paired with a technosquare ecu reflash...most likely leave the SS management piggy-backed "in case"

Opinions?

The ATI whistles too much for me...
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
NoahzBurnt

Tires.....
if u solely drive in nice weather.... FALKEN Azenis 615's 245/35/19 in the front and 285/30/19.....those rears keep the speedo within a +/-1mph from the stockers....

I got a chance to rip a C6 Vette with those tires....the grip is INSANE...but i wouldn't expect any less from a tire with a tread wear rating of 200
Old 03-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
Ahh hi love that fund......I've had quite a few FI cars so fortunately I have already gone thru the "let me just tighten the wastegate to raise the base boost and BAM...why does the boost guage read 0" stage already....

I was actually looking to change my hood but the Stillen one is just horrible...i owuld like to have a custom-raised Kaminari hood but what a waste of $1200...I think I may go VORTECH with a Greddy Type-RS BOV paired with a technosquare ecu reflash...most likely leave the SS management piggy-backed "in case"

Opinions?

The ATI whistles too much for me...
The greddy will not work..vortech uses bypass valve. You can use the greddy s type because it can be used a BOV or bypass.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 PM
NoahzBurnt

thanks for the head's up.....the s-type is a piece o cra_p....the springs used to jam and the plates wouldn't open(i had on on my old car)

The rs should be set up the same expect I believe it's 40mm instead of 38 and has much higher spring rates for the valves
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
EnthuZiast

I got a chance to rip a C6 Vette with those tires....the grip is INSANE...but i wouldn't expect any less from a tire with a tread wear rating of 200
I have the Azenis now and I feel they are too "heavy"
As far as tread ware since there is no universal tire rating system it means less than you might think. It is only "200" compared to Falkens sliding scale and not compared to any other tire manufacturer.

Ok Ok back on track.
Vortec with all the goodies I must have. What am I looking at $$ ?
How much for the best tuning in town?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
JimRHIT

Vortech from Avalon Racing = ~$4500 shipped

Gauges - Boost/WB02 or EGT/Fuel Pres. = $600

Install = $500-800

Tuning = $250 -$350 includes dyno time etc

Gates Belts < $40

With that you will be DONE with it ... it will make 375+ whp and you will be one of the proud members of the 350Z FI crowd
Old 03-20-2005, 08:52 PM
EnthuZiast

Jim what about the BOV? Did it whistle at idle and how was the sound during shifting?
What do you think the percentage is that my engine goes *BOOM* at stock boost?
Also how many miles did you get to the tank before/after your Vortec.

Thanks again for all the help and let me know if you need the favor returned.
-Home Loans
-B&O
whatever you need.

Tom
Old 03-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Wicked350

I'm going to say the ATI Procharger. You get more horsepower from less boost and really the reason is the intercooler is so much more effective. When you are putting colder air in it's "better" for your engine. Has more upside potential. The only thing that sucks is you need a good tune and it's louder. No need to drill the oil pan either. Basically take it off when you're done.

Last edited by Wicked350; 03-20-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by Wicked350
I'm going to say the ATI Procharger. You get more horsepower from less boost and really the reason is the intercooler is so much more effective. When you are putting colder air in it's "better" for your engine. Has more upside potential. The only thing that sucks is you need a good tune and it's louder. No need to drill the oil pan either. Basically take it off when you're done.
Hey Im in SAC! Why does everyone trip on drilling the pan. I didnt think it was a big deal. Took me ten min.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:59 PM
EnthuZiast

ATI is out of the question for me. Its between Stillen and Vortec.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 AM
AdamDC

I know I am sounding very redundant, but how can you chose when you haven't gone for a ride in either?

BTW, I raced a guy with a stock boost vortech and easily took him off the line. Low end torque is beautiful. Also, when I am on the highway doing 65 in 6th gear and I want to pass, I don't need to shift gears.

The Vortech is a great choice, don't take my comments the wrong way. I have also run a with a vortech that had a smaller pulley (dyno over 400) and he walked me (we started at 30 mph or so.

The stillen makes the engine feel more like a V8 and that is what I like. There are a lot of people here who do not like that. In terms of reliability the eaton is one of the most tried and true designs. Look at the OEM SC's, they all chose eaton, look at every dragster, look at big american muscle cars, the only choice for all of them is the eaton. I had one on my old tahoe and I could spin 36x14.5 inch tires with a slip of the foot.

Not to keep sounding like a broken record, but FI is a very individual choice. You have made the correct first step by finding out all the info you can, now take the second step and see what YOU like.

Last edited by AdamDC; 03-21-2005 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 AM
NoahzBurnt

I mean I guess everyone is happy with what they chose....

Obviously I chose Liquid Aluminum so therefore it is my fav color....

I was in an ATI but it was just way to loud to me....the VORTECH has essentially the same feel correct???
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 AM
NoahzBurnt

Actually...being I have always been into turbos....

IN essence which 'charger gives a turbo like neck snap when you step on it....please don't compare to an improperly sized turbo that pauses and then rockets like a bullet....I have been in cars that have a little lag but still plaster yourneck to te seat....the V8 feeling is awesome but i know I would get myself into trouble if the car never scared me!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:03 AM
mofoz

i heard it is also a good idea to use the autosport wiring harness so you dont have to cut up your ecu harness. It is $300 though. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:09 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by EnthuZiast
ATI is out of the question for me. Its between Stillen and Vortec.
Just curious why is that ?

I am considering going SC this summer. The reamining SC's on my list are ATI and Vortech. I like that the ATI is tunable and provides more power and doesn't need to tap the oil pan. Plenty of local guys have the ATI and seem to be happy with it.
I haven't seen a Vortech in person yet though to compare it to. From wh at I have read on these boards it looks good and is worthy of consideration.

I ruled out the Stillen because of the hood.

Any idea if there are smog (CARB) issues with these SC's ? I know that the Single Turbos are not CARB approved.

Quick Reply: Which SUPERCHARGER is least likely...