Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vdc

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:38 PM
1 2 NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vdc

Alright so what is the deal with VDC and F.I.? If you forget to turn it off and start to drive aggressive can it end up damaging your engine? I would think so. So can you just pull a fuse or am I just going to have to remember to push the button every time?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:31 AM
luanda

Yes repeated engagement of VDC will harm your engine, FI or not...it's just that FI means your that much more likely to engage it.

Someone on the wen was was selling a circuit thingy to plug in that "remembers" whatever the last VDC setting was when you turn the car back on...was like $50. I will try to find that link....
Old 04-30-2005, 07:00 AM
1 2 NV

Cool, thanks!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:02 AM
1 2 NV

I know this makes me look lazy but I am sure there will be alot of times where I will just want to jump in the car and go and eventually It will get me!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:29 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by luanda
Yes repeated engagement of VDC will harm your engine, FI or not...it's just that FI means your that much more likely to engage it.

Someone on the wen was was selling a circuit thingy to plug in that "remembers" whatever the last VDC setting was when you turn the car back on...was like $50. I will try to find that link....
Sounds cool. I'd definitely be interested in that.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:48 PM
luanda

Not the same page I found earlier, but you get the idea...need to keep crawling around on the weeb...

http://www.controlgenie.com/vdckit/
Old 04-30-2005, 03:51 PM
luanda

Here one priced a bit better....

http://www.kptechnologies.net/
Old 04-30-2005, 04:40 PM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed the KP Tech module in my car. Works flawlessly and I highly recommend it for anyone with FI and VDC.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:44 PM
doodeitstom

This is a noob question, how does engaging vdc often damage the motor?
Old 04-30-2005, 04:58 PM
1 2 NV

I really dont think it can....on a stock motor. Thats like saying Nissan installed a "self destruct" mechanism.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the service manual.. VDC has control over the ABS, Throttle Angle, and Fuel Cut...

None of these would damage the engine, FI or not.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:20 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
According to the service manual.. VDC has control over the ABS, Throttle Angle, and Fuel Cut...

None of these would damage the engine, FI or not.
Thank you Charles, I was hoping someone would step in with some CORRECT information here.

The VDC system is NOT NOT NOT a fuel-cut mechanism in the event of traction loss or yaw condition. VDC actually CONTROLS the throttle, so it's engaging is effectively the same thing as taking your foot off the gas very suddenly.

The KP Tech module sounds like a good product, but it isn't necessary to protect your engine if you have F/I.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:08 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

well according ot the service manual it can engage fuel cut... but im not sure why everyone thinks fuel cut is bad for the engine. fuel cut happens every time you let off the gas and coast from a high RPM.

fuel cut is NOT the same thing as running lean... fuel cut is the injectors not even firing and there is nothing to burn... therefore there is not a lean burn. fuel cut will not engage an injector in the middle of firing, but it will prevent it from firing on its next cycle.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
1 2 NV

So are you aying it is safe to drive F.I. with the VDC on and have no worries?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:53 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i personally dont worry about it. I have left it on accidently countless times and had it cut me out and never had a problem... and at this time I cant imagine what problem it could create.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:23 AM
luanda

My point was this, and it's just my opinion...VDC rapidly adjusts the flow of fuel to the engine. Chances are that the VDC is going to cut in when your rear tires are spinning and/or your car is beginning to skid....chances are you've dropped the hammer to produce this!

Whether or not fuel is cut or reduced to the engine is semantics. Imagine driving your car and modulating the accelerator from the floor-none-floor-none. Aside from the jerky ride and potential loss of control, that can't be healthy for any engine, particularly an FI engine..it simply stresses the engine.

VDC is a system designed to prevent you from losing control of the vehicle, it momentarily "abuses" the engine to prevent you from losing the car. If you forget and leave VDC on at the start of an autocross or track event but quickly turn off when you notice, chances are you're OK, but you wouldn't want to run an event like that and leave VDC on, FI or not.

Me, I haven't bothered with a memory switch, although for $30-40 what the heck...
Old 05-01-2005, 04:18 PM
gersteinp

Paul Gasparola and his top mechanic, Jeff, have warned me about not driving hard with VDC on. They had a supercharged 350Z blow for just that reason. Everyone who buys an FI kit from them or has one installed is warned about turning off VDC before driving under boost. It makes sense because VDC was designed for an NA motor, not a boosted one with pedal to the floor at high revs and max torque. Wheel slip, at the moments that an FI car is most likely to experience it, will cause VDC to suddenly "lift off" the pedal and just as suddenly let your floored foot take over again. There's no good reason to EVER let this happen and the potentially damaging results of this outweigh any theoretical concerns about crank angle cable noise and all the other worries that folks with FI spend lots of money and time to prevent.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:51 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

how do they know the engine failure is because of VDC?

Just doesnt make sense at all... there has to be a reason for failure... not just because it doesnt sound like it would be healthy.

My stock engine has exceeded the HP of all but 1 350z in the USA, and went thru more abuse then I have seen anyone else put their car thru. If there was a concern with VDC... then I would think that the SEVERAL SEVERAL times I ran into it would have harmed my engine.

Someone is going to have to come up with a reason why I should believe that VDC could cause any engine damage before I believe it.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:07 PM
gersteinp

Do you have to prove that crank angle cable signal noise actually caused engine failures before you invest the $80 and whatever time to install the shielded wires?

It's so simple to permanently turn VCD off when you want it off and turn is back on only when you need it on. The module cost me $40 and took about 45 minutes to install. When the weather's bad, I flick VDC on with the press of a button. The rest of the time, it's off and I never have to think about it.

Even if you don't think VDC will harm your engine (which I think is a risky belief), it's definitely adding unnecessary wear to your brakes and rotors when you're trying to accelerate and it's trying to brake.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

You are looking at it from a bizarre perspective if i may say so.

BTW My Z has never had a CAS cable upgrade

Its not about the money, and its not about how easy it is to turn it on and off. Its about the fact that the information is misleading and without justification of truth. Its also about the fact that by telling everyone to just turn off their VDC all the time could potentially cause an accident or death that could have been prevented.

In excess of speeds of 80mph, I always turn it back on. There have been times where I wonder if I would have recovered control without the aid of it. It takes a lot to get my Z with all its upgrades to get out of control in situations other than wheel spin... and by the time you cross that line you are going into a major slide. There is nothing wrong with modern tech saving your *** here and there, and thats why its there to being with.

-Charles

Quick Reply: Vdc