Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Supercharger for 350Z, G35, G35 Coupe by Alpine Developments (NISMO?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, lovely
Old 11-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Zmeflyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh damn..
the FIs are here..LoL
"take cover"
Old 11-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Track_350Z

NISMO Baby! Please let that happen!!!

Thanks for the post VQ.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:49 PM
cabalisticfire

A warrantied supercharger mod sounds pretty enticing. If it were to carry the NISMO name or be blessed by Nissan that would be even better. I can't say that I've every heard of this company before and it appears that they only recently appeared on the US market. I have to say, I'm a bit skeptical of this comming to fruition but if so, it would be truely awesome. I'll send an email and show my support.

My only concern is that since this is a warrantied setup will it be a very low boost application that nets only another 50 or so HP or will this transform the Z into a 400HP beast (assuming a 40% increase in power)?
Old 11-25-2002, 06:01 PM
importriders

I'll pay $3000 for another 50hp. Thats a bargain in my book. But I am a little wary about the company especially after visiting their website.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:06 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by cabalisticfire
A warrantied supercharger mod sounds pretty enticing. If it were to carry the NISMO name or be blessed by Nissan that would be even better. I can't say that I've every heard of this company before and it appears that they only recently appeared on the US market. I have to say, I'm a bit skeptical of this comming to fruition but if so, it would be truely awesome. I'll send an email and show my support.

My only concern is that since this is a warrantied setup will it be a very low boost application that nets only another 50 or so HP or will this transform the Z into a 400HP beast (assuming a 40% increase in power)?
Even with low boost (it will probably be somewhere between 6-10psi) it should still net us 60-90hp b/c of our high compression....nice.

A warranties FI kit....well I must say, I never thought we would see one. If nismo puts their name on this and we can get warrantied installs from dealers I am going to **** in my pants. Oh wait a minute, I already have....
Old 11-25-2002, 07:08 PM
TJZ

Oh and I also must comment on how insanely cheap this is for a FI kit.

Damn VQ, how do you come up with this stuff before everyone else?

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Here are their infos

S.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.
7581 Acacia Avenue
Garden Grove, Ca. 92841
info@alpine-developments.us
www.alpine-developments.co.za
Ph (714) 379-8066
Fx (714) 379-8166

How about someone give them a call and find more info? This sounds too good to be true $3100 is a killer price!
Old 11-25-2002, 07:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I e-mailed them and told them of my interest and asked for more info. We'll see...........
Old 11-26-2002, 06:46 PM
BRICKS Z

Default I"M IN

for that price i'm in
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger for 350Z, G35, G35 Coupe by Alpine Developments (NISMO?)-me-and-myz2.jpg  
Old 11-27-2002, 11:26 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely in if my Z gets here!

Last edited by MY350Z.COM; 11-27-2002 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:30 AM
6kLaunch

With that kind of additional HP, one will have to rethink the gear ratios. 1st gear is too short as it is, but with the additional HP it would be useless. Maybe changing the rear end gear will be a solution, certainly less expensive than re gearing the trans.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Here is Steve's response to my e-mail:

Ed:

First off, please accept my apologies for not replying in my normal timely manner, but we have been inundated with inquiries since returning from the SEMA Show.

Second, I also must apologize for this lengthy form letter, but because of the shear number of Nissan inquiries I've received just in the last two days (congratulate yourselves---over 50 inquiries!!), I would be here through all of the Thanksgiving holiday if I tried to answer each one individually. So, I'm trying to answer all of your questions (even anticipated ones) with this one reply as best I can.

I'll begin by giving you some background on who S.A. Alpine Developments Inc. is ('cause most of you are wondering "just who the hell are these guys, and where did they come from?"). Alpine Developments has been in business over 22 years based out of S. Africa, making O.E. compliant turbo charger and supercharger kits for, and serving all of Africa, the middle East, Europe, Asia Minor, southern Asia, Australia and New Zealand, both in the aftermarket and O.E. (with Nissan, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Toyota, Hyundai and many others). Only within the last six years has Alpine started using the Eaton superchargers (the ONLY O.E. approved supercharger, used by Ford, Pontiac, Buick, Jaguar, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin...). We're the guys who make half of the applications for TRD! No other manufacturer in the world has more experience in forced induction applications than Alpine Developments has.

Here's a little background on me, hopefully to reinforce what I bring to the table, and why Alpine hired me to run their U.S. operations here. In the late 70's, I was the California factory rep for Blaupunkt (division of Robert Bosch). In the early 80's, had my own company called Pacific Motoring Accessories in San Diego and was an exclusive importer for companies like Zender, Momo, Alpina, ABT, Otteniger, etc., and prototyped a Magnacharger (forerunner of the Eaton supercharger) on VW Rabbits. In the mid 80's to early 90's, was the designer/engineer-sales/marketing guy for Xenon (urethane ground effects manufacturer). Then, for 8 years was the VP at Turbo Magazine/Import Tuner Magazine/Today's Truck & SUV Magazine (Import Tuner was my idea!), then went to Y-Visionary (which already had Drag Racer Magazine) and started Street Trucks and Import Racer Magazines. Then I retired! I came out of retirement to handle the banner advertising for Speedoptions.com, and waited for over a year for Alpine to get it's funding together, and viola! Here I am in a position to "rock" the forced induction market here in the states!!!!

I won't bore you folks with all of the different applications we are currently in development on, but focus just on the Nissan applications that NISMO wants, and you've expressed an interest in.

3.3L (V6) `00-`03 Nissan X-Terra/Frontier Supercharger Kit
Our new supercharger kit, which is still in development (using the Eaton "roots type" blower) for the Nissan Frontier/Xterra (may fit older Pathfinders--will test fit soon), has been meticulously designed and engineered for optimum performance and reliability, without any other modifications needed. Preliminary dyno tests on this kit on our `03 Xterra yielded a peak increase of over 47-HP & 37-ft/lbs. of torque to the wheels with just a little over 5-lbs./psi of boost.

The kit will come complete with everything needed to install yourself, and come pre-assembled from us as much as possible. The kit has not been CARB certified yet, but is scheduled for testing, and anticipate certification in the next month or two. The price for this kit is $2700 (with a price increase to $2900 January 1, 2003)

2.5L (I4) Nissan `01-`03 Altima/`02-`03 Sentra SER V-Spec Aqua-cooled Turbocharger Kit

We are scheduled to start development of this application next week. We will be using a Mitsubishi turbo (don't know what size yet), and it will have a self contained "Aqua-cooled" intercooler. We still don't know yet, but hope this can be installed without any ECU management, but have access to the new "encrypted" ECU technology if needed. We anticipate seeing at least a 70-to-80 hp increase minimum with the basic kit, and plan to offer "official" stage one, and possibly stage two upgrades once it has passed CARB certification. This kit (if all goes well) should be available by the end of Feb.`03.

3.5L (V6) Nissan `01-`03 Altima/Maxima/`03 350Z/Infiniti G35/I35 Aqua-cooled Supercharger Kit

We plan to start development of the 3.5L Aqua-cooled supercharger on a 350Z (has the lowest hood clearance) sometime near the end of December. This kit will probably be using the Eaton MP90 (new 5th gen.) roots type blower, with the self contained aqua-cooler system, with the heat exchanger built in to the intake plenum (like our 2.7L Hyundai application). Running about only 5-lbs/psi of boost, we should be able to produce close to 60-hp gain at the wheels, hopefully without any ECU management (but can if needed)! As with the above application, we will develop a stage one, and possible stage two "official" upgrades once the kit has been CARB certified as well. If all goes as planned on this application, look for it's availability around the tail end of April `03.

3.0L (V6) `95-`99 Nissan Maxima?

We had not planned on doing an application for this vehicle, but after the last several days worth of e-mails, may have to concede a strong need for this application. If the flood of inquiries for this model continue, we WILL look at doing something for this vehicle, but because of all of the other projects currently in development at this time, realistically, could not even begin until sometime in late April. So, keep those inquiries coming!

Price?

Although it's way too early to set a price on these applications, we don't anticipate any of these kits selling for more than $3200 suggested retail (the 1.8L turbo kit should be less than $3000), and that includes everything you would need to install yourself!

Shipping & Packaging

We are now using Fed-Ex Ground Service as our regular carrier, and have found them to offer not only better care and handling of our products, but in most cases, are less expensive than UPS. All shipments will be insured at their retail value. All of our systems are pre-assembled as much as possible, and shipped complete in one box (typically 28"x 18"x 18" w/hand-grip cutouts), and average in weight between 50-to-90-lbs, with custom Styrofoam packaging to insure our products arrive intact.

Warranty

All of our non-CARB approved applications carry a "1-Year / Unlimited Mileage" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship (unless otherwise specified). Any omission or addition of parts, deviation or modification to our kit from its original intent, design, and installation instructions, or any additional modifications that may affect the performance and reliability of our kit as intended, will void this warranty.

We are still hammering out the fine print at this point in time, but anticipate having a "3-Year / 36,000 Mile Power Train" backed by Dell Financial Services (same people who back GM's warranties) in place before the end of this year. A Dell Financial representative or an "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility" (which you can apply for) will be the only ones who can sign off on this. This may include and cover "official" upgrades from Alpine Developments . Details on this will be forwarded to you when this has been finalized.

Even more good news...we will be offering an optional "extended warranty" on the basic kit (no modifications at all) that can be purchased at the time of purchase of our kits, or up to 90 days after purchase of our kit, that will match the remaining factory power train warranty as long as the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it. (The price for this will vary depending on the length of the factory warranty being matched, but don't anticipate it being more than an extra $200-to-$300.) The details of this are not all set yet, but as with the other warranty, will have to be "signed off" by a Dell Financial representative, or "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility". We should have all this in place by the first of the year, and should be available to existing owners prior to it being available! Unfortunately, any upgrades (even our own "official" upgrades) will not be covered by this extended warranty package. Again, details on this will be forwarded to you when this has been finalized as well.

I am already on several "Hyundai", and now "Toyota" websites, but don't think I will have the time to post on each and everyone (besides, there are only two full-time employees here now, plus the owner from S. Africa and one engineer/technician) and would appreciate if you could post this letter on your sites for me, to pass this information on to those who've not e-mailed me yet!

Again, thank you for your tremendous response, and you should congratulate yourselves! (who says your voice can't be heard?). I will keep all of your inquiries in separate "Nissan" folders, and send you any new "updates" to all of you on each application mentioned above when we have any more information to pass along. In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact us if you should have any other questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing back from you all soon!

Stephen M. Belanger
Sales & Marketing
S.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.
7581 Acacia Avenue
Garden Grove, Ca. 92841
sbelanger@alpine-developments.us
www.alpine-developments.co.za
Ph (714) 379-8066
Fx (714) 379-8166
Old 11-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

What do you guys who know more about FI have to say about this?

60 HP at the wheels would get us over 300 HP (244+60) and if you assume a %15 drivetrain loss that would be 69 BHP taking us to 356 (287+69) at the crank. Are these numbers correct?
Old 11-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Mr B

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
What do you guys who know more about FI have to say about this?

60 HP at the wheels would get us over 300 HP (244+60) and if you assume a %15 drivetrain loss that would be 69 BHP taking us to 356 (287+69) at the crank. Are these numbers correct?
244+60=304
304/0.85=357.6

So 357hp since I'm **** like that.

Question about this aqua cooling unit they have. Are they referring to a inter/aftercooler or is this something in the chargers itself (I think he refers to it being built-in)? Reason I ask is cuz of my TRD charger (which is an Eaton/Roots blower too), the problem we get is that we have no place to put an intercooler or aftercooler and that makes it problematic when racing. So I was wondering if these units will be intercoolable (I made up a new word ).
Old 11-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I know nothing about intercoolers. You mention possibly needing one for racing. If you don't plan on racing, do you still need one? Also, could you give me a brief tutorial on what an intercooler does? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:47 PM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I know nothing about intercoolers. You mention possibly needing one for racing. If you don't plan on racing, do you still need one? Also, could you give me a brief tutorial on what an intercooler does? Thanks.
An intercooler is a device that cools down air before it goes into the TB and Intake Manifold, it can cause minor loss in pressure but you get cooler incoming air. Intercoolers aren't just for the racing application. it can be used on the street for best performance.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Right, the cooler the air, the less problems you will have with detonation and knocking. Intercoolers allow for more boost safely as well as putting denser air in the cylinders at cooler temps.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:06 AM
2003z

There are 2 types of intercoolers, the popular air-to-air, and liquid-to-air. The liquid to air runs through what is similar to a radiator. I had this type on an 85 maserati biturbo I used to own. Not sure which is more efficient though.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger for 350Z, G35, G35 Coupe by Alpine Developments (NISMO?)-mike-golding-s-85-maserati-biturbo-e.jpg  
Old 11-28-2002, 09:56 AM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by 2003z
There are 2 types of intercoolers, the popular air-to-air, and liquid-to-air. The liquid to air runs through what is similar to a radiator. I had this type on an 85 maserati biturbo I used to own. Not sure which is more efficient though.
Ey, nice car you got there. Didn't know Maserati's were available in the states.

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 350Z, G35, G35 Coupe by Alpine Developments (NISMO?)