Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is the VQ35DE the 'next' import engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 04:11 PM
G2FAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the VQ35DE the 'next' import engine?

What are other people talking about when it comes to the VQ?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=278476

Feel free to discuss!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
sponsorsthisway

Too bad we can't read it. Me and a friend tried joining the supra forums once. They never emailed us any verification and couldn't get in.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Landbarger

Could you copy/paste it so we can see?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
uplz4588

lmao look what this guy wrote!! what an idiot

Originally Posted by electrikoptik
The VQ35DE is NA to begin with. They barely respond to NA mods. And going turbo on the VQ is not cheap. Plus they can barely handle boost unless you seriously rebuild the whole motor wich will just cost insanly much, so it's not worth it. Let's just hope Nissan releases a high performance turbo engine (2007 GT-R maybe if it ever gets produced) in the future.

......and what do they run in the JGTC 350Z cars?

"barely respond to N/A mods".....crock of crap quote.
Crawford has a 340whp 350z in nashville.....My father is running around 320WHP in his roadster.....some people will say thats not much.....but it hits HARD when you press the gas. Great for backroads...you just GO. no tire spinning or lag.

Tommy Kaira is running around 400hp out of their N/A VQ35. ITB's and all. Esprit is around 380hp right now without ITB's.

check your sources before posting bull.

They already have a QR25DET over in japan in the works for the new nissan hatch back ( battling the SCION's here in the states) named the Azeal i believe.

-Jonathan
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
uplz4588

^ 340whp crawfrod.... 320whp roadster???? LMFAO!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
sponsorsthisway

Umm, not being a wise *** or anything but the last i knew, Crawford was still workin on 300WHP. Did they retune Doug's car and make it that much more badass or did u mean at the crank? I could see that. BTW, what does Tommy Kaira make for the Z that puts out 400hp? I might have to look into this.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
AxionF117

HAHAHA dude I'm a moderator on supraforums, that kid is a freaken moron
Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
uplz4588

yeah axion ive seen your car (which looks sick BTW) on SF.com ... im only on that site cuz my bro has a supra and ive loved that car since 97 when he got it... most people on that site hate Z's ... most like the G though. i could care less what they think, but that kid is truely an idiot for saying those 300+whp clames lmao!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 AM
G2FAST

Sorry guys didn't know know you couldn't see it, thats weird!!!

Originally Posted by kaneda
i think the 4G63's days are numbered. it's been around quite some time and mitsubishi has been talking of replacements the last few years and even going so far as to say they should build a hybrid 4 cylinder for future evos. there really isn't "a next big import engine", besides maybe the K series hondas.

most engines aren't built for boost, everyone is going NA.
- the VQ won't hold power
- the renesis is a pain in the *** to turbo and we've yet to see how well it holds power
- the EJ25 has seen 500+ awhp stock block but being based on old technology i wouldn't call it new and i wouldn't expect it to be around much longer
- the C32B is much the same except it's expensive to turbocharge and expensive to rebuild if something goes wrong
- the 4UZ-FE responds okay to boost but that's on it's way out and it's not in any performance car to begin with
- i doubt the mazdaspeed mazda 6 will withstand much boost
- the mazdaspeed turbo mx-6 is a joke

and there's still the proposition of the next generation SR20DET, the "SR20VET" or whatever they choose to call it. the silvia platform will be resurrected and i don't doubt that it will be turbocharged. also, mazda has been rumored to be building a 4th generation RX-7 on the RX-8 platform and as electricoptik mentioned, the 2007 GT-R. who knows what's around the corner.

but for now - there is no big import engine.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 AM
G2FAST

Originally Posted by JUNIOR
In stock form, I don't think there is very much potential at all. Those limits are being pushed everyday. Aluminum open deck blocks don't like boost very much at all. Like every new motor out, things will change. Things will be tested and new tuning methods will arise. At first these motors are said to let go over the 400rwhp mark. The rods are the weakest point in the bottom end with the help of the open deck of course. But, now these motors are handling 550rwhp in stock form. I rememebr when making 600rwhp in the 2JZ was big deal. Now everyone realizes that the stock block can take upwards to the 1k mark. How things have changed. With that being said. I don't think that the VQ35DE will ever be as strong as the 2JZ in "stock" form. Iron Solid Deck -vs- Aluminum Open Deck. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Seriously for the guys that are doing FI now days. Does stock even matter? I think that the VQ35DE motor is GREAT motor for RACE applications. There is lots of aftermarket support for it. We had to wait years for a stroker kit to be released for the 2JZ. The VQ35DE already has a stroker motor. Thanks to AEBS! Now on to the potential of this motor in "Built" form. Replace the stock rods and sleeve that bad boy. That will surely put you in the 2JZ ballpark with .5L more dispalcement. More Torque. And also being a Aluminum block great for weight savings, especially in the Race cars. Also with the motors being used in all types of cars (350z,G35,Maxima, Altama) Keeps the cost down comes down replacing the engine and easier to find. Only difference is engine mount locations. (RWD/FWD). I am all for new things as I have owned my Supra for over 7 Years, and 4 other MKIV TT's. I am truly a 2JZ supporter. I am also a supporter of the VQ35DE, since I know own a G35 coupe as a one of my daily drivers. A car which I will be putting under the knife very shortly. We have 7-8 sec street spec Supras. There are also low 8 sec. street spec VQ35DE's. We have been at this struggle for more power for years now. Lots of R&D involved. This motor is New compared to ours. Yet the gains are there. Nothing surprises me any more. 500+ Hp out a Scion for good sakes. It's all the same. Great selection of components- Great Builder- Great Tuning. You can make power with anything. But, I'd say the VQ35DE will be one the contenders for the Import Scene. I myself will be pushing these limits of this motor myself. Good Luck to everyone who is on the search for more power. "Too much is NEVER enough!" Happy Boosting to All. Now if we get into NA cars vs Turbos discussion please keep me posted.

Keith Ta
Suprafa5t@aol.com
WWW.SPEEDFORCERACING.COM
Originally Posted by 97Turbo
3.5-litres of high-compression naturally aspirated V6 power can go a long ways when an engine is built well, and the VQ 3.5 is indeed built well for it's purpose. It doesn't have the high-rpm response of a Honda powerplant, instead having the low rpm grunt that is usually found in large American motors, rev limit is about 6600rpm. In fact it's quite a bit more liveable than the RB26DETT inline-six in the GT-R, which has problems with making it's presence known until you've reached a rather high 3000rpm (lower compression)(just a reference). Of course, that motor continues on till 8000rpm, so the operative rpm range is rather similar, but it's inherently more satisfying to have power at 1000rpm instead of waiting till 3000rpm for it to come on.

"The winners of Ward’s 10 Best Engines awards for 2005 demonstrate that you can have it all: Many of the winning engines highlight sophisticated new technology that not only improves mileage but also pumps up power."

"Taking its unrivaled 11th consecutive 10 Best Engines trophy is Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s 3.5L DOHC V-6. The only engine to win an award every year since the program’s inception, Nissan engineers improved the “VQ” V-6 with new levels of power and torque for 2005."

"Needless to say, the acquisitions of Ioannou and Ten definitely showed in the constant improvement of the Performance Motorsport 350Z. The shocking improvement from its respectable 11-second passes to a blistering 8.33 ET at 176.72mph simply doesn’t happen naturally within a single season. The Performance Motorsport team truly means business.

Ten, the team’s newest member, was handed the VQ35DE in hopes he could build it for the rigors of quadruple-digit horsepower. Famous for his record breaking Pro Street Tire Toyota Supra, Ten is highly regarded as one of the sport’s best engine builders. The East Coast legend was excited to join the team and eager to work on Nissan’s 3.5L powerplant.

First off, the intake charge is chilled via the massive front-mounted Spearco intercooler before it is sucked through the four-inch Accufab throttle body.

As the only team campaigning a VQ35DE-powered 350Z at this level, much of the work done on this vehicle was groundbreaking. The 3.5L block was fortified with the addition of Ross pistons, Total Seal rings and beefy Carillo rods, while team member Mike Silvestri fabricated the custom girdle to work with the Z’s stock crankshaft. Ten’s impeccable headwork optimizes the Nismo camshafts and maximizes flow of the twin-turbocharged system.

Forced induction comes in the form of a pair of secret-spec Turbonetics turbochargers which are fed through the integrated air ducts in the Z’s front bumper. The twin turbines are fitted to matching STK manifolds which spit the spent gases through a custom Performance Motorsport exhaust system. Boost creep is kept to a minimum thanks to the Turbonetics external wastegate.

Control is provided by the all-encompassing Motec M800 engine management system with CDI box. Using a very capable system like the Motec is one thing, but having someone with the skills of Ioannou to install, wire and tune it is a luxury no other team has. Control over the entire system including timing, custom fuel system, RC injectors and HKS plugs are the responsibility of the standalone ECU. And with a full season of tuning under his belt, Ioannou and the team has the Z dialed in to produce over 1,200whp on Performance Motorsport’s in-house Mustang Dyno." - This was taken from an article a while back, this is to show what a modified VQ ENGINE can do with the proper R&D, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---- Bare in mind I'm only comparing the below to the 2JZ ----

the VQ is a decent motor, for modifed purpose's it's show all though still fairly new compared to a 2JZ that it does have some potential.

But if you want to compare Modified to Modified, just look at the Track results, records set by various cars, and what motors there running. In this case it's easy to say the 2JZ has been a big performer for the past few years. Also look at the number of teams running the 2JZ platform as well.

Street to Street: both we designed for different purposes.
V6 3.5 NA vs 3.0 turbo I6 this is an obivous difference...
But for the most part, there two completely different motors, designed for different purposes as well.

The 2JZ has been tried, and proved over, and over again, with excellent results. There aren't many motors out there that be as reliable with big HP, stock internals. Once you start modifing.

I've done a turbo install on the VQ, and it does bump performance to a point, but there's no way you could reliably turn up the boost and make some good power without some major modifications to the motor... Mainly lowering compression, and providing better / stable fuel delivery, but those are still considered major mod's in comparasion to what's needed to be done to make the 2JZ perform as well as it does.

I would have to agree, that the VQ modified would not be a desirable street motor compared to other motors out there that can perform for far less. Down the road when more is avaliable in terms of performance mods, etc the VQ might start to shine then. I guess the true answer to your orginally question - Weither or not the VQ will be the next pefered tunner motor, etc, etc? The only good answer at this point is Time will tell, there's simple not enough results to test that theory yet if you compare it to all the other performing motors out there.

As for actually performing mods on either car I4, I6, V6, V8... the inline motors will be easier to work on, many do to space, simpler design, and the fact you really don't have to remove mass amounts of things to get to other stuff... good example... inline motors only have one head gasket, one header, fuel rail, etc. Somewhat simple design wise...

All right guys... Pick it apart, what did I leave out?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:28 AM
G2FAST

Originally Posted by 97Turbo
I'd assume this is being done on there blocks as well... Through some more reading I've found listed below, it would fortify that statment.

alittle more info on the VQ

The weak point of the VQ block is its open deck construction and freestanding bores. Nissan did this so the cylinder top end would be more evenly heated to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Open decks also lend themselves to die casting better. The bad part about this is when the engine is loaded hard, the unsupported cylinders walk around compromising head seal and eventually cracking from the pressure. Thus a stock VQ block should not be boosted past 16 or so psi or have more than a 120 shot of Nitrous run through it or damage can result.

To reduce emissions the VQ has its compression rings near the top of the piston. This reduces crevice volume and the potential for hydrocarbons hiding in this area to contaminate the exhaust. The downside is that this weakens the piston and detonation can thus easily break the piston in the ring land area. Many a forced induction VQ in a Z has succumbed to this fate.

Another problem is that the VQ's have marginal rod bolts that are failure prone much past 7200 rpm.

I know AEBS offers a VQ35DE 4.3 Liter Stroker Kit, which involves:

re machining the block to accept their fully buttressed centrifugally spun nodular iron deck sleeves. The thick sleeves can take a huge overbore and still maintain strength. The full deck gives the head gasket additional clamping area so blown gaskets will be a thing of the past. The full deck also eliminates cylinder flexing and any chance of cylinder wall breakage. The thick deck flange also prevents the bane of all sleeved engines, a sunk sleeve. AEBS forged pistons for any compression ratio you desire solve the ring land breakage problem. The pistons are a tough low silicon alloy and feature strong and lightweight tool steel pins. The rods are machined from forged 4340 chrome molly blanks and feature SPS 180,000 psi bolts. No breaking these suckas. AEBS's stroker crank is machined from a forged 4340 billet as well. This crank should be bullet proof and should be able to take anything you can throw at it.

Most of the above findings are taken from nissan performance mag...
Originally Posted by Batty200
Well theoretically a 4.3L would only have to rev to about 7K rpm to move the same amount of air as a 3.0L would at 10K. So a 2jz spools a certain turbo at 6K rpm a 4.3 would spool the same turbo at 4200. Now say the 2jz rev to 10K and the 4.3 revs to 7K (both fairly reasonable assumptions). The idle is the wasted rpm that you subtract to find useable rpm. The 2jz is making power from 6-10 which is 44% of its usable rpm range from idle to redline. The 4.3 would be making power from 4200 to 7K which is 47% of its usable rpm range from idle to redline. I would hope a built VQ could rev higher than 7K and the difference would just get worse for the 2jz as the RPMS go up. It is a simple case of displacement winning if all else is equal.

Later

Originally Posted by kaneda
i just wanted to add that when we finally get a new GT-R it will most likely be powered by a detuned version of NISMO's VQ30DETT with around 400 BHP; that if anything will be the next big import engine. from what i've gathered the VQ30DETT utilizes a closed deck construction unlike the VQ35DE and more like the RB26DETT. i would also expect an 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression ratio and stronger race derived connecting rods and pistons. this is going to make for some great power without fear of putting holes in things and without the expense of having to rebuild a motor to make decent power. i think we'll have our "next big import engine" in 2-3 years. and of course, when NISMO starts pumping R-Tune and Z-Tune versions we'll see some monster "factory" cars starting to roll out once again. :coold:

JUST TRYING TO GET A DISCUSSION GOING AND NOT TRYING TO START STUFF BETWEEN FORUMS!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm educating them.

That sinman is completely uneducated...that's for sure.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:29 AM
PoWeRtRiP

They actually have some good points. some of their info is wrong, but lets face it. The VQ35DE is not a good engine to build a high hp car off of. it costs a lot to build it up, and as we have seen numerous time on this board it is prone to catastrophic engine failure with boost.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:57 AM
VandyZ

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
I'm educating them.

That sinman is completely uneducated...that's for sure.
Yes that is the son of one of our customers. He was on another forum from which he was banned I think, talking about how fast his fathers car is and how its the same as doug’s etc. I have met him a few times and would have never expected this kind of banter from him. I thought maybe someone was posting for him, but I guess not now that I hear similar stuff from different forums.

For corrections sake Doug is running approximately 340 crank.

He is correct that the engine is capable of some amazing things, however no matter what form whether it be race or street "rules" seem to be the hold up. Until there is a race circuit that will allow some lax regulations or an engine management that can simulate or work with odb-ii emissions testing, everyone’s hands are tied. No one wants a $30-$40K car that only has a place in HPDE.

What do they run in the JGTC? Turbo VQ32 or something like that? What ever it is, it would be nice to see it show up in a car soon, say in 2007.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

They use the VG30DETT in the JGTC cars...it already took it's place in the Z32 300ZX TT.

Thanks vandyz, I was about to say...since when has Crawford hit 340rwhp?

Yeah, we are all waiting to see what private owners can do with the 350Z.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:24 AM
VandyZ

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
They use the VG30DETT in the JGTC cars...it already took it's place in the Z32 300ZX TT.
Hmm I was under the impression that in some series somewhere they were running a turbo VQ. It was a 3.2 or 3.3.

If not I hear they have it, according to my sources with Nissan. Testing was better than expected, as I understand it.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 AM
JAMESZ

Originally Posted by VandyZ
Yes that is the son of one of our customers. He was on another forum from which he was banned I think
Yes he was banned on Tennesspeed after I OWNED him when he made outrageous claims about his dad's roadster and how it had the same cams as Doug and was just the same.

He got banned when he got OWNED and he responded by calling people out to fight and threatening about 8 of us. The kid is just a tool.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by VandyZ
Hmm I was under the impression that in some series somewhere they were running a turbo VQ. It was a 3.2 or 3.3.

If not I hear they have it, according to my sources with Nissan. Testing was better than expected, as I understand it.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...07scc_spinadd/

D'oh...they are using a VQ30DETT...not VG.

The GT300 350Z's use N/A VQ35DE's.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 AM
VandyZ

Sounds better . . .

FYI, they have tested a slightly larger displacement (than above) VQ with FI with good results.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 PM
AxionF117

don't worry his stay on supraforums will be shortlived as well

Quick Reply: Is the VQ35DE the 'next' import engine?