Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT Install at Dyno-Comp

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
APS and BRIGUY:

true, no aps setups have blown yet-as time goes on we all learn more and more to keep these things a bit safer..but coming from a guy who has gone through the headache of a motor blowing...i am now on the conservative side of things---if i could have done it all over again, i would have done forged internal from the start at the same time as the turbo install

as far as peter's comment about not everyone wanting 500+ hp...very true, but how great is it to have the abiliuty to go that route without having to yank the motor out, pull off the turbo kit, rebuild the engine, then re-install the turbo kit, and put it back together again...just my opinion...if i could have done it all over again--- i don't know that i would go with the APS setup--i don't understand the unichip thing- and the pain of finding a tuner, and so on and so on...the aps is a very complete kit, no doubt, but i like the ability to tune via the e-manage

again, IMHO, build it strong from the start- have a greater sense of security--not always thinking--hmm, is today the day..hmm, will i be the first to blow a stock motor on the "invincible" aps kit...
come on now

TODD
I totally understand where you're coming from...but to play a little devil's advocate, are you saying that you haven't worried about your motor ONCE since you had it built??? If I had a built motor in my Z right now with boost, I'd be thinking "will I be the first to blow up a properly tuned built motor Z today?"
Old 05-04-2005, 08:11 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

APS and BRIGUY:

true, no aps setups have blown yet-as time goes on we all learn more and more to keep these things a bit safer..but coming from a guy who has gone through the headache of a motor blowing...i am now on the conservative side of things---if i could have done it all over again, i would have done forged internal from the start at the same time as the turbo install
Yes I understand that when you've had a bad experience blowing an engine that you would feel this way (that's obviously not a good feeling) - ultimately the APS TT system is different to your system and I still feel confident that with thorough tuning and the engineering in the APS system that the stock engine will be safe at approx 8 PSI.

as far as peter's comment about not everyone wanting 500+ hp...very true, but how great is it to have the abiliuty to go that route without having to yank the motor out, pull off the turbo kit, rebuild the engine, then re-install the turbo kit, and put it back together again...just my opinion..
I'm sure it's great for the guys who want 500 WHP and who have the funds to support that power level - ultimately many guys will be really pleased to have 380 to 400 WHP without having to go to the extra expense and hassle of a forged engine.

IMHO, build it strong from the start- have a greater sense of security--not always thinking--hmm, is today the day..hmm, will i be the first to blow a stock motor on the "invincible" aps kit...
come on now
I don't think it's a matter of building it stronger Todd for approx 400 WHP, when I look at the pics of your damaged engine I see a spun big end bearing and the best con rod on the planet will fail if the big end bearing spins.

We don't for one second say that the APS twin turbo system is invincible, if you spun a big end bearing in a VQ engine with an APS twin turbo system installed the result would be exactly the same as you experienced.

Peter
Old 05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I totally understand where you're coming from...but to play a little devil's advocate, are you saying that you haven't worried about your motor ONCE since you had it built??? If I had a built motor in my Z right now with boost, I'd be thinking "will I be the first to blow up a properly tuned built motor Z today?"
honestly, i worry MUCH less, i have a very conservative tune, running an actual of approx 530rwhp...not really pushing the limits of what this motor can do (i am knocking on wood as i type these words)

if i was pushing 650 actual-- i would be a bit more sketchy

i'm re-tuning next sat--with a ecu relash--i may dial in a low boost setting of 14psi and leave it there most of the time---honestly, my car doesn't hook up at all in 1st-3rd...but the feeling of 4th-6th is unbelievable---i just don;t need to go to jail anytime soon going over 160mph..then again, they have to catch me...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:17 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by APS
when I look at the pics of your damaged engine I see a spun big end bearing and the best con rod on the planet will fail if the big end bearing spins.

We don't for one second say that the APS twin turbo system is invincible, if you spun a big end bearing in a VQ engine with an APS twin turbo system installed the result would be exactly the same as you experienced.

Peter
sorry, that pic is actually of a rod out of a used block that ernie bought--that was naturtally aspirated and failed due to a spun bearing (was trying to show a visual of a stock rod in comparison to a pauter rod-not trying to be deceptive), MY actual blown block hasn't been fully disassembled, i will do that soon to try to determine the cause of failure--the pic of the butchered piston is from my motor

TODD

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 05-04-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by APS

I'm sure it's great for the guys who want 500 WHP and who have the funds to support that power level - ultimately many guys will be really pleased to have 380 to 400 WHP without having to go to the extra expense and hassle of a forged engine.

Peter
......and that describes my power needs exactly. I'm sure it will be difficult enough putting even that (relatively) low power fully to road. If I find that I want substantially more than that, then I'll eventually move on to a different vehicle.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
cloudy

350zdcalb: answer ur pm :P
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by cloudy
350zdcalb: answer ur pm :P
answered
Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 PM
cloudy

ok check urs again :P.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by cloudy
ok check urs again :P.
detailed pm response sent...the bill is in the mail
Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 PM
cloudy

Haha and u got another PM!!!

Arizona = Money Pot!!! Remember that! Scottsdale was rated #1 City to live in, and is one of the richest :P.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 PM
mrtomcat

serious? I could not imagine living in Arizona, my company is trying to convince people to move to Scottsdale...hmmh maybe it's time for a visit
Old 05-05-2005, 10:50 AM
cloudy

What do you imagine living in arizona is like? Desert everywhere? Cactus every corner? Tumble weeds flying past you on the dirt roads? LOL
Nah man Arizona has come a LOONG way... Scottsdale was rated the #1 city to live in the WORLD. It is a big rich person city :P. Scottsdale use to be apart of Phoenix, but got so big (appx. 250,000+) So they decided to call it, its own city. Ya theres lots of potential out here, real estate especially.... Its crazy out here. And plus AZ is home to the #1 NBA Team right now :P
haha.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
NoahzBurnt

Once again the argument returns.....agreed forged pistons and rods are stronger...but most blown engines are due to lack of proper tuning and knowledge of turbos....also this car is new....we needed pioneers to help the second leg of FI people to know what to do correctly...so to all you guys that stepped up thanks......but i have personally been in a stock block APS 9psi with 70K miles on the engine and 20K on the turbo install....I believe that APS took the proper precautions to cover most if not all of the items that seem to fail in other "out-of-the-box" kits such as the GREDDY. I don't own nor am I sponsored by APS (u are by forgedinternals.com and seem to be pluging them) this is just my experience
Old 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scottsdale is known as being stuck up and high class

AZ is a nice place to live though - summers are hot, but cost of living isn't very high, winters are really nice. It's a city like any other major metropolitan area. The streets are laid out in an easy grid system.

You can get an ok apartment for $550/month whereas in CA the same apartment would cost like $800-900 and probably be far away from your job.

I have a 2 bedroom town house and am paying about $1000/month, and I live in one of the nicer areas

only thing that SUCKS about AZ is being stuck with 91 octane gas, unless you want to shell out for 101-103 octane

I'd be more likely to get a TT without building up the internals if you could get 93 or 94 octane at the pumps...
otherwise, not gonna touch FI without an engine build. The VQ is nice, but not setup for FI in any way at all. Can you think of a way to make the engine LESS suited for FI other than reducing the # of valves?

Last edited by sentry65; 05-05-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
cloudy

Sentry what part of AZ you live in? Cause if you live in Northern Scottsdale, Paradise valley or some parts of Fountain hills, you will be paying some major $$ for houses and apartments lol.

Id trust the APS TT w/ 8psi, but id feel more comfortable by building the engine with the bare minimals, pistons, rods, studs, gaskets, seal, only lil over 2000 additional, and you can have a piece of mind when you turn on your car. Plus i can boost up to 12psi with that . Granted if i cant afford the extra 2grand for the internals, i will just get the APS TT kit and keep it at 8.. or maybe i should just go buy a APS ST for 4400.... hrmm the possibilities.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
I don't own nor am I sponsored by APS (u are by forgedinternals.com and seem to be pluging them) this is just my experience

my "sponsorship" with forgedinternals is really just me appreciating all that sharif has done for me in answering my phone calls at midnight and on the weekends to help me out of my dilemas...
sharif distributes the BEST guts for this motor, not my opinion or "plug" just the truth..if joe smo had arias pistons and pauter rods- i would recommend him

i support forgedinternals.com because sharif is a good guy that has helped me out personally and many more--i'd much rather be loyal to a guy like that than many of these other companies out there!

TODD
Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
cloudy

my "sponsorship" with forgedinternals is really just me appreciating all that sharif has done for me in answering my phone calls at midnight and on the weekends to help me out of my dilemas...
sharif distributes the BEST guts for this motor, not my opinion or "plug" just the truth..if joe smo had arias pistons and pauter rods- i would recommend him

i support forgedinternals.com because sharif is a good guy that has helped me out personally and many more--i'd much rather be loyal to a guy like that than many of these other companies out there!

TODD
Ya sharif is a good guy... he has been answern my annoying lil questions very nicely and promptly... UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE I KNOW! 350ZDCALB!!! :P
lol jkn
Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i thought forged internals costed way more than $2000

maybe 2000 for pistons, rods, rod bolts and studs if you can find a KILLER deal, but it's still going to be at least $2000 for installing them

yeah scottsdale is expensive, I'll never live there - too much of a rip off for me.

cloudy, you have a PM
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
cloudy

Forged Internals usually do cost way more then $2000, the setup iam saying right there can get you like 12psi.... If you want more then that, more you have to upgrade, including fuel line/pump, injectors, and more internals, including tranny.

$2600 to be exact for Pauter Rods, Arias Pistons, ARP Head and Main Stud Kit, Gaskets, and Rear Seals. It will be $2000 if you do just the forged internals install by itself... but say if you were installn a TT kit, iam guessing would only be like $500 more while they are installing the TT kit.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm, who is offering all that installed for $2600?

thats a pretty killer price

i've been looking here

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/sgpravqmo.html

Quick Reply: APS TT Install at Dyno-Comp