Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Injected Performance 350z, 4.3L, Spy Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:43 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Ever heard of a stroker kit?

I think he meant it as a joke - how can it REALLY be a 4.3 if the label says 3.5 etc
Old 05-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axxizzer
I call BS on the 4.3 L statement

the engine cover clearly states 3.5
They may be able to buy a Lexus LS430 emblem and use the 4 and 3.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
isn't the APS upper plenum just a warmed over crawford?

(still doesn't solve my lower plenum problem)

I'll take any material over plastic. What other material could have been used? Carbon fiber? Aluminum? Plastic? Iron? Those all have their own drawbacks with price, heat, or durability/strength
Basically, i'm not suggesting plenums/intake manifolds for you though. I imagine they would gain the same.

What lower plenum problem?

Aluminum, steel, titanium, carbon fiber, iron, same material Crawford uses on the cast plenum (not sure what it is, looks like an alloy)...any of those could be used. Of course each of them do, which is why I said if SS doesn't gain that great of gains why use it? If it's just going to raise the price and look pretty.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I broke one of the bolts on my lower plenum - one of the guide bolts that's on each side. The stalk of the bolt broke off and created a small leak that I had to fill in with a bunch of silicon.

So I need to replace the entire manifold, or the lower plenum....and I plan on doing TT in about 2 months so it'll have to get changed out.

I don't suppose anyone knows any info on the APS intake manifold other than it's coming out "soon"
Old 05-27-2005, 08:16 PM
SSR Engineering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke one of the bolts on my lower plenum - one of the guide bolts that's on each side. The stalk of the bolt broke off and created a small leak that I had to fill in with a bunch of silicon.

So I need to replace the entire manifold, or the lower plenum....and I plan on doing TT in about 2 months so it'll have to get changed out.

I don't suppose anyone knows any info on the APS intake manifold other than it's coming out "soon"

We'll install it for free since your local too
Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Speed Dreams

Originally Posted by taurran
Oh yeah. That's the one I just call the 'coffin'. For the rest of us, I don't see paying $200 extra for that over the new Kinetix manifold. I'm just waiting to see some numbers for the kinetix on a turbocharged car.
As soon as they get caught up and finish the gp I will have one and give dyno results for the turbo people.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Rayden2001

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
It's not that it does not make gains, we just haven't had any time to test the before and after with any of our f/i cars. But I've yet to see any TT car with just a TT system, an intake manifold and exhaust make over 400WHP at 6.4PSi.
Send me mine and I'll prove them wrong
Old 05-28-2005, 12:51 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by Rayden2001
Send me mine and I'll prove them wrong
It will be there before june 6th

But I'm still waiting to see any dyno results of all of these superior manifolds that make over 400WHP at 6.5psi on an AUTO none the less and on a load bearing dyno (not a dynojet). It doesen't help that our superior turbo kits are equipped on these cars as well
Old 05-28-2005, 09:32 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The manifold form SSR is not a bad piece. It was definately a miscomunication between SSR and us. But I doubt Albert or myself really want to go into detail about this. Basically we wanted a manifold that comes off the front much like the Top Secret manifold does. They had this one made and told us that the timing chain cover would need to be cut. That is fine, except when the chain goes through the top of the cover and not the middle or bottom. Can't be done. Secondly, we were later told by "another" company that we would have to use an aftermarket hood like the Stillen one. This was never expressed to me beforehand. I still don't believe you ate any of the cost...I know I did.

-Greg

Last edited by InjectedPerf; 05-28-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
It will be there before june 6th

But I'm still waiting to see any dyno results of all of these superior manifolds that make over 400WHP at 6.5psi on an AUTO none the less and on a load bearing dyno (not a dynojet). It doesen't help that our superior turbo kits are equipped on these cars as well

400whp on 6.5 psi on an auto does sound impressive, but how much of that is from the manifold? We don't know what the hp/tq curve looks like. As far as we know either:

- the SSR turbo kit makes a whole bunch more power than other turbo kits reguardless of manifold
- the SSR manifold along with the turbo kit makes good peaK power, but who knows if the mid range or torque totally suck?
- the SSR manifold is just awesome, so awesome that it puts the turbo kit into question with how much of that peak power is actually coming from the kit and not the manifold?

we don't know, there's too many variables and all anyone can do is guess and take the $1000 risk to find out
Old 05-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Rayden2001

400whp on 6.5 psi on an auto does sound impressive, but how much of that is from the manifold? We don't know what the hp/tq curve looks like. As far as we know either:

- the SSR turbo kit makes a whole bunch more power than other turbo kits reguardless of manifold
- the SSR manifold along with the turbo kit makes good peaK power, but who knows if the mid range or torque totally suck?
- the SSR manifold is just awesome, so awesome that it puts the turbo kit into question with how much of that peak power is actually coming from the kit and not the manifold?

we don't know, there's too many variables and all anyone can do is guess and take the $1000 risk to find out
As soon as I get mine I'll let you know the results
Old 05-28-2005, 09:28 PM
mazzoo

Look, I have a spare SSR manifold sitting in my room right now. If there is anyone in Houston that is willing to dyno their Z before and after I would be willing to offer up the manifold for the test. I will also work on getting you the dyno time. It would be best to get two Z's for the test one NA and the other FI. PM me if you want to try it. I will be more then happy to take pictures and video the dyno runs and post them in the forum.

I know Albert at SSR very well and I am sure if the numbers were not what they should be he would make the changes needed to fix the problem.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Rayden2001

Originally Posted by mazzoo
Look, I have a spare SSR manifold sitting in my room right now. If there is anyone in Houston that is willing to dyno their Z before and after I would be willing to offer up the manifold for the test. I will also work on getting you the dyno time. It would be best to get two Z's for the test one NA and the other FI. PM me if you want to try it. I will be more then happy to take pictures and video the dyno runs and post them in the forum.

I know Albert at SSR very well and I am sure if the numbers were not what they should be he would make the changes needed to fix the problem.
Yeah Albert has been awesome, he doesn't sound like someone that would scam anyone.
Hey whats up mazzoo? Hows the car coming along?

Last edited by Rayden2001; 05-28-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:25 AM
mazzoo

Originally Posted by Rayden2001
Yeah Albert has been awesome, he doesn't sound like someone that would scam anyone.
Hey whats up mazzoo? Hows the car coming along?

The Car is coming along good thanks for asking. Audio is being installed right now and Tom at Light Speed is putting the motor together. All should be done in 6 to 10 weeks.

I think this thread needs to get back to why it started. Lets get back to talking about this kickass stroked 4.3L monster Wald 350Z. Or I guess I should call it a 430Z.

I love this wing,

It looks like mine
Old 05-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure if this is more secretive info in nature; but regarding getting that 4.3L kit put together on this car, was their any snags or gotcha's you guys ran into with the kit?
What kind of head gasket did you guys end up going with?
Any crank clearance issues on the bottom w/ the crank?
What kind of oil pan are you guys using on the motor?
Are you guys letting the stock ECU handle the air/fuel for off-boost?
Looks like you guys kept the stock throttle-body, do you feel there are any needs to upgrade to a larger throttle body and intake piping diameters in the future?
Stock cams?
Standalone or piggy back fuel management system?
type of injectors (brand/flow)?

Such a swap looks like a really great option, I'd just love to hear if you guys ran into any issues with clearances or gasket problems. Also how the air & fuel is being addressed, or if the stock ECU has enough of a range on it to really be able to control the air & fuel for the much improved motor, or if you had to go full-standalone.... Anyhow if you could spare some of this information I'm sure there's a lot of people seriously considering this route that could benefit from it.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:33 AM
InjectedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

The car is running Magneti Marelli EMS. As far as problem with the motor it had a few snags. I am sure Greg will give you the skinny later tonight.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:22 PM
350G

It's about f@ckin' time . . . I live near the shop and still haven't seen it in person

Great job fellas!

G