Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS kit is in! Thanks to Scott Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Nismon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zrdude
Hey, whatever happened to the promise of pics for this thread!?

Hahaha....sorry about that! Works been busy, I posted in the modified roadsters link, and this thread got buried. Okay, enough excuses....here are a few pics:

Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Nismon

Originally Posted by bigbri
Congrats Nismon..... did you see my car there...??? I have a chrome silver track...=) 462whp holey ****..... I pick my car up this sat.... I have everything you have plus test pipes and aps plenum...can't wait to see my dyno #'s...We'll I'll post when i get mine....wanna run them.... =)
Hey Bri,

Yeah, I saw your car there (when it was still "untouched").
Hahah, I'm anticipating your response when you get your car back. I know the feeling.

As for mine, I switched over to test pipes since the cats were way too restrictive, but you still got me on the plenum. I'll be tracking it at Infineon Raceway this Saturday with NASA. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
SCP

Looks good.
Good job. Any problems with the kit so far?
Ferdie
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
SCP

Originally Posted by ESP350Z
lol j/k unless you live near Fremont and it wouldnt be a big deal. Man im really wanting a TT kit now. Will it pass smog? Thats my only concern since it seems like SMOG2 and picky visual inspection techs would fail it. Im uneducated on these matters so dont flame plz.
Im 100% sure that it would not pass smog. Emissions in California is pretty tough.Also you dont have to smog for 6 years after purchasing the car.
Ferdie
Old 08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Nismon

Originally Posted by gt3000fa
Looks good.
Good job. Any problems with the kit so far?
Ferdie
Well, on the street, the minor quibbles have been sorted out with tuning. At first, I was getting check engine lights on a particular grade hill by my house, in 2nd gear, at about 1900-2200 rpm. No CEL's anywhere else unless I replicated that exact condition. Really weird. Again, the great thing with Unichip was it's flexibility, so SP did some tuning including taking timing out, and it went away. Also did some futzing with the idle including pulling some timing and fuel out of the idle, and raising idle RPM just a hair. The ZR idles even smoother with the cams than before.

Didn't take a pic yet, but I also have Defi Boost and Oil Temp Guages aft of the shifter, under the HVAC *****. Running about 9 psi now (9.5-10psi on a cool evening), and oil temps run about 140-160 on the freeway, about 210-220 in stop and go traffic. It seems that the finned oil pan is definitely doing it's job at speed on the streets/freeway, but we'll see at the track. Also, the outside air temp guage, being mounted behind the intercooler, now serves as an air intake guage (verified within 1 deg of what the ecu reads). I'll be further monitoring what the ZR is doing on the road course this Saturday.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
zrdude

Rockin'! Did you not get a wideband a/f gauge? Where are you taking it this weekend? Full report with pics expected!

Originally Posted by Nismon
Well, on the street, the minor quibbles have been sorted out with tuning. At first, I was getting check engine lights on a particular grade hill by my house, in 2nd gear, at about 1900-2200 rpm. No CEL's anywhere else unless I replicated that exact condition. Really weird. Again, the great thing with Unichip was it's flexibility, so SP did some tuning including taking timing out, and it went away. Also did some futzing with the idle including pulling some timing and fuel out of the idle, and raising idle RPM just a hair. The ZR idles even smoother with the cams than before.

Didn't take a pic yet, but I also have Defi Boost and Oil Temp Guages aft of the shifter, under the HVAC *****. Running about 9 psi now (9.5-10psi on a cool evening), and oil temps run about 140-160 on the freeway, about 210-220 in stop and go traffic. It seems that the finned oil pan is definitely doing it's job at speed on the streets/freeway, but we'll see at the track. Also, the outside air temp guage, being mounted behind the intercooler, now serves as an air intake guage (verified within 1 deg of what the ecu reads). I'll be further monitoring what the ZR is doing on the road course this Saturday.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Nismon

Default After tracking at Sears Point.....

Had an awesome day at Sears Point/Infineon yesterday. The Z was really dialed in. I was running in NASA HPDE Group 2, not the first time I've tracked, but the first time running the Z. This consisted of 4 track sessions that spanned 20 minutes each, with 2 late in the afternoon, when the track was the warmest. Temps were in the 90's in Sonoma yesterday, so part of my focus was on the guages. Filled the tank up with 100 octane gas, and went to play.

Overall, I was very surprised with the performance and how everything held up. The oil temps crept to about 230 degrees at pregrid, or in slow traffic, but never went beyond that at speed. I was expecting temps to be much higher, around 250 to even 260, but that APS finned oil pan, even without an oil cooler, seems to really get the job done (running Valvoline VR1 40w). Along with the Koyo radiator, the Z didn't break a sweat. Air intake temps did climb up to about 121-125 degrees, but at speed, there seemed to be plenty of airflow under the hood. I was contemplating a vented hood, but after this event, there doesn't seem to be a current need, for now. Stoptech's worked great, no fade, and the Hoosier's kept sticky.

For those who have been to Sears, towards the end of the day, I was well into 5th heading up to turn 1, and heading into turn 7. Definitely caught a couple guys by surprise, as the drag races from Turn 11, as well as out of the Carousel, Turn 6, were great fun. Yeah, this thing really hauls ***, and after the event, no squeaks, no leaks (knock on wood).

Now, the only gripe was my check engine light kept coming on while the Z idled during pregrid, most likely due to the cams. Looks like there's still some futzing to do.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
bigbri

Hey bro sounds like fun... I didn't get my car back this weekend....=( Pick it up tues...I want to meet up and go to the track sometime... never done it and don't know where to start.. what do I need?? Also I don't like you always talking about the CEL coming on have you talked to Ted about this? I hope mine doesn't come on all the time that worries me... let me know bro....
Old 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Nismon

Originally Posted by bigbri
Hey bro sounds like fun... I didn't get my car back this weekend....=( Pick it up tues...I want to meet up and go to the track sometime... never done it and don't know where to start.. what do I need?? Also I don't like you always talking about the CEL coming on have you talked to Ted about this? I hope mine doesn't come on all the time that worries me... let me know bro....
Hey Bri,

I'd say don't lose sleep over this. If your car does pop a CEL, try and mentally note what gear you were in, what rpm, what kind of throttle load, any hills, etc. The more you know and can relay to Ted/Scott Performance, the more info they can use to tweak your tuning. Unfortunately, sometimes, you have to be the guinea pig, as to be expected with a project this extensive. Don't be surprised that one Z will react a little differently to another Z with the same program. At least this software allows for fine tuning, and errs on the conservative side out of the box so you can't go crazy on it unless you program something ridiculous. I know my program is 99% dialed in, but it just idles with occasional misfires, most likely due to the cams and the idle program. Idle misfires are not uncommon on cammed Z's, even N/A ones. I just note that it did this with 100 octane in the tank, about 92 degrees outside, and the car was idling for about 2 minutes. Minor nag for now, but I'm sure it'll eventually get resolved.

BTW, it was also very cool seeing several Z's out there yesterday, old and new, as well as several instructors/Z owners such as Dave/daveh. It was a full event for NASA, and even if one wasn't driving, visitors got a good deal for $10 to spectate the events, including US Touring Car, Porsche Challenge, Spec Miata, and American Muscle series. Well done and organized event given the number of cars and drivers.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:25 PM
ronnie0738
boost ownz ju

awesome, looks like you had a great time!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
kosmic

Sweet ride. Can you post a picture of the exhaust from the back? Pictures #3 & 4 above *almost* show it...but it would be great to see a couple direct shots. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Nismon

Here are some attached exhaust pics of the roadster. I don't have a straight back shot, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Also, my buddy is hosting a video of my 1st lap, 1st session at Sears Point last Saturday. Don't get your hopes up, the camcorder conveniently died for the rest of the day after turn 11, when things were about to get fun (doh!). Looks like a Sunday drive through the wine country, as I'm just warming tires, fluids, and brake pads. Well, the exhaust sounded nice.

Being that it's my buddy's site, please right click, save as. Do not stream. Thanks!

Sears HPDE
Attached Thumbnails APS kit is in!  Thanks to Scott Performance-roadster-wing-003_2.jpg   APS kit is in!  Thanks to Scott Performance-roadster-wing-004_2.jpg  
Old 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
kosmic

That exhaust looks and sounds very nice. Any bumper modification, or is it just the perspective and lighting of those two shots that makes it look like it's higher in the middle? The video was nice, but I kept wanting you to pass that volvo and that orange POS (camaro?)
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Nismon

The bumper's pretty flexible. It's the stock bumper, with the center valance folded up. The exhaust angles up to eliminate any awkward gap.

As for the Volvo and Miata, yeah, I did pass them and then some, and too bad the video didn't show the Volvo spinning the inside rear wheel over turn 2, which was pretty cool. Definitely a lot of surprised faces, including some Corvette guys. Good times.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:13 PM
AmyCroft

Default After Down Load

I got error loading Codex

What - Where is the Codex Needed?

Cheers Amy -
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
RedLeader

Somebody asked about the Dastek vs. Dynojet comparison earlier. I dynoed 490.2 on the Dastek and 419 on the Dynojet. I haven't turned up the wick yet.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
narkotic

John - DIVX