Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The 1 Man Turbonetics Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LaPuLaPu
I’m curious to why Turbonetics went the path of drilling a whole into the block. Was it to save cost on parts? Hmmm.. Would it be possible to use a PE or APS oil pan instead?
Absolutely. You could use either one of those kits. Turbonetics felt that tapping the block was a simple effective way to run the oil drain without added cost to the user. You are certainly able to use another oil pan if you like though.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM
1 2 NV

Originally Posted by LaPuLaPu
I’m curious to why Turbonetics went the path of drilling a whole into the block. Was it to save cost on parts? Hmmm.. Would it be possible to use a PE or APS oil pan instead?

I would think you could. But your not really drilling into the "block". Your drilling into the upper oil pan. The oil pan is two pieces, so if there is a mistake you dont have to replace the block. Now I am sure it wont be easy to change, but there are worse things.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
I would think you could. But your not really drilling into the "block". Your drilling into the upper oil pan. The oil pan is two pieces, so if there is a mistake you dont have to replace the block. Now I am sure it wont be easy to change, but there are worse things.
Absolutely correct.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Phatmitzu

Just the same as some of the supercharge kits right? Same kind of "drilling the oil pan" steps? If so, I dont see it to be a problem.

I hope Turbonetics will update their kit with the right fittings after this incident. I dont want a leaking oil pan.

SirJonnyWispit, Im keeping my fingers crossed for ya too.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Just the same as some of the supercharge kits right? Same kind of "drilling the oil pan" steps? If so, I dont see it to be a problem.

I hope Turbonetics will update their kit with the right fittings after this incident. I dont want a leaking oil pan.

SirJonnyWispit, Im keeping my fingers crossed for ya too.
Yes same method....and we'll see what happens with the fitting.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
SirJonnyWispit

the ironic part is that i have no problems with the fitting i had to drill and tap, it went flawless... it was the hole that was already there that ended up causing problems... i would never have thought, if anything i figured it would be drilling into the upper pan that would/could go wrong. and to my defense i think if im capable of drilling and tapping a hole that is leak free i know what im doing when simply screwing in a T that is already threaded.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
SirJonnyWispit

Off topic, what do i have to do to be able to get a picture under my name? i looked at the avatar faq but the links i followed deadended with NO AVATARS AVAILABLE.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by SirJonnyWispit
Off topic, what do i have to do to be able to get a picture under my name? i looked at the avatar faq but the links i followed deadended with NO AVATARS AVAILABLE.
You have to become a premier member. Those of us who had one before the upgrade kept ours but new members have to be premeir members to get one.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
taurran

Yeah, I tried to change my avatar without knowing they disabled the feature.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by kcobean
There is a "no questions asked" warranty on this kit. If it's not easily fixable and this does turn out to be a design flaw, then the opportunity to seek restitutions exists. At least this will lead to the problem (if it's a problem) being fixed early on in this kits' release, which is good for everyone involved.

"Turbonetics will repair or replace, at our expense any new TURBONETICS! Spearco products that fail"

Read the "No-Fault/No-Hassle" card.

They offer more than most, and from these threads are more than helpful.

I would have liked to seen a oil pan that would make it a simple swap but understand that for a lower cost to do what they have suggested in the install instructions.

Good luck on the oil pan, and like said before it is the upper oil pan... I would suggest a Service Manual... Just replace the part IMO then getting someone to try to "fix" that hole.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Hmm I guess my last post didn't take... Johnny. Brad has been looking into the t fitting issue all morning. He has pulled all the fittings for this kit from QC and is using a thread pitch indicator to check them and see what may have happened. He said you should be hearing from Reggie about this today..
Old 06-08-2005, 04:24 PM
axxizzer

soooo....when will the Cat come out?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by axxizzer
soooo....when will the Cat come out?
The version of this kit with the high flow kit has been released for a while and can be ordered from any Turbonetics vendor. Part number for the HF cat version is 15136
Old 06-08-2005, 06:07 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Hmm I guess my last post didn't take... Johnny. Brad has been looking into the t fitting issue all morning. He has pulled all the fittings for this kit from QC and is using a thread pitch indicator to check them and see what may have happened. He said you should be hearing from Reggie about this today..
Not to be a selfish bastard, but I guess this means that my kit will be delayed even longer then, huh?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
1 2 NV

Originally Posted by kcobean
Not to be a selfish bastard, but I guess this means that my kit will be delayed even longer then, huh?
Even if it is, at least it will one less headache to deal with. So it would be worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it is, at least it will one less headache to deal with. So it would be worth it in my opinion.
Most definitely, and that is an important point. I'm just a little (32 year old) kid waiting for Christmas to get here...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:59 AM
rxtrom

This question is for SirJonny or anyone else that has experience installing the Tnetics Kit.
I am planning on installing this kit myself, I am only worried about a couple of things.

1) Rerouting the A/C line? I am not familiar with A/C equip. I don't know how to empty the system, or what needs to be rerouted. Was this a hard step fro you? I know recharging it is cake. After I am done with the instal I can pay $40 for a garage to recharge it.

2) This drilling into the upper oil pan talk is scaring me. What do I need to do this? Cna I take the oil pan off and have them drill it at a fabrication shop??

Also if there are any other steps that are more involved then just bolting/unbolting or rewireing then please give me a heads up.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 07:27 AM
SirJonnyWispit

i did get a call from brad last night but i wasnt here.... by the time i could return the call they were closed, so i have to call back today... another off topic question for anyone who can answer.. whhich hose did you splice your boost gauge to?
RXTROM - i had the A/C done before i started the install at work (Infiniti) so that step for me was nonexistent. You wouldnt want to take off the upper pan to drill the hole... if your not comfortable doing it though i would find someone who is. Its not a major step really, just start with a small bit and get bigger a little at a time until you reach the 9/16. you do have to be careful tapping (threading) the hole... take it slow and make sure the tap goes in straight. Other than running pipes all thats required is getting into the fuel tank and taking out/modifiying the pump assembly which isnt very hard and taking the upper intake manifold off to get to your injectors and plugs (although i did the plugs when the plenum was still on). Thats about it, it is work but depending on your mechanical know how it might not be so bad... i did it all in about 20 hours or so total with no help.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:31 AM
1 2 NV

+1
Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 AM
1 2 NV

Jonny, Splice in tho the vaccum line that you have running from your plenum to your b.o.v. What I did was ran one line from the plenum to the little master cylinder compartment and did the same with a line running from the b.o.v. and then use the T-fitting there. It makes for a real clean look. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: The 1 Man Turbonetics Install