Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The 1 Man Turbonetics Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlimquest
1) Would the Injen dual exhaust, DC headers, Hi-Flow CATS & Kinetix V4 plenum work with the Turbonetics ST on a 5AT?

2) What other mods or parts will I need to run w/ stock internals or will it run perfect out of the box?

3) Anyone know a Los Angeles area turbo installer that has done the Turbonetics ST on the 350Z?

3) Which dealer has the best pricing for the Turbonetics ST currently?

Sorry for all the questions but you guy's are the EXPERTS.
THANKS ALL!!!!
I'd get out your stock plenum, as you will get better results out of it. As far as the headers, you can make it work but it's a bit of a pain because the downpipe won't fit without altering it, but it will work if adjusted.

Looks like you're kind of in my situation where all of your NA mods have some kind of conflict with a ST upgrade. It's painful to see them go after all the cash spent, but it's worth it. I wish I had just spent all my cash on visual mods and just went to the ST from a stock setup.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Turbonetics
The oil sending unit port on these motors is a 1/8” tapped hole and some of these holes appear tighter than others depending on how deep the hole was originally tapped as this is a tapered thread. We had not experienced the installation problem ourselves with the fitting that this installation has, either way we should have not assumed that chasing the threads with a tap would be routinely done by the installing technician and should have mentioned it in our installation instructions to chase the thread with a pipe tap as well as warning not to over tighten the fitting. The installation instructions have just been changed and the 1/8” tap will now be included in the turbo system hardware kit.

Brad
Just wanted to let you guys know that Reggie is super cool, and I got my 1/8" Tap
Old 06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
SirJonnyWispit

thats good news for you... the welding didnt work because that area is so dirty and impregnated with so much oil that it wouldnt take.... so i talked to reggie earlier today and he is sending me the upper oil pan. now i just have to get it put on and i dont want to get into that since you either have to pull the motor or drop the suspension to replace it. PEKING congrats on getting your tap, your luckier than me haha... thank me for cracking mine, its gonna prevent other people having the same problem. hey do you know any good shops in GA? reggie was trying to think of one i can take my car and have the pan installed but doesnt know any in GA. help me out man.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by SirJonnyWispit
thats good news for you... the welding didnt work because that area is so dirty and impregnated with so much oil that it wouldnt take.... so i talked to reggie earlier today and he is sending me the upper oil pan. now i just have to get it put on and i dont want to get into that since you either have to pull the motor or drop the suspension to replace it. PEKING congrats on getting your tap, your luckier than me haha... thank me for cracking mine, its gonna prevent other people having the same problem. hey do you know any good shops in GA? reggie was trying to think of one i can take my car and have the pan installed but doesnt know any in GA. help me out man.
Well some folks seem to have installed without having this 1/8" tap, but so maybe or maybe not will be used I guess it will be figured out when we get in there.

Oh also we have many shops here, oh and "Shops" (like poser shops that have no right to call themselves that). Out of all the shops here, the only one that I have continued to hear "good" things about over the years is a place called Knowledge Performance which is North of Atlanta and slighty NW, so would be a little more of a easier drive for you.

Click ME!

Talk to Melvin, and or Kevin.

But anyway I had been planning on doing this install with just me and a friend (including the gauges, oil pan spacer, new plugs, oil catch can), but because I have a huge meet in a week and a half in MD. And getting the time off of work to work on the car, as well as getting a schedule down with my friend (who has previous boost/gauges experience) to do this has been really difficult.

So since I am taking my car Knowledge Performance for the LSD, I decided to get them to install everything... Including 3 dyno pulls before, and 3 runs after.

Turbonetics turbo kit, oil pan spacer, oil catch can, new plugs, boost gauge, EGT gauge, AEM A/F gauge, tri gauge pod, and Cusco LSD for about $1600.

Now I have been reading that folks are looking around 1300 dollars for the turbo install, and that I assume does not include the dyno runs before and after and considering that means that I am getting the LSD install at 300 dollars (also two other shops quoted me $500 or more depending on the LSD install goes oh and one shop wanted to charge me $140 per gauge installed). So pretty good deal to me with Knowledge Perf. and basically while I am work they will be working on it and I will get it back within a week and tech. days before I planned orginally to do it myself.

Anyway once again we have many shops, the bigger name shops like Balanced Performance, Battleground Engineering, Mainstream Perf., Z1 Perf., etc. But after spending the last week after work driving all over the state, calling shops and what not... Knowledge was what I was most pleased with, and I feel most comfortable with letting them work on my car compared to other places.

Last edited by Peking; 06-22-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:34 AM
taurran

I asked my installer about this yesterday, and he said he read the instructions and decided it was better to go with the 1/8in rather than what they provided. I'm glad he did so, as I've had no issues with the oil line.

Just anoter heads up for you future self-installers -- Make sure you are VERY careful where you route the AC line. Mine ended up getting routed too close to some of the piping and it ended up burning a hole through the shielding and causing a leak. Turbonetics sent me a new line and we dropped it in a few days ago, being extra careful of where it was routed and also adding extra shielding, and now I have cold AC again. Good thing is, I think my AC is colder now than before the install.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:40 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I thought that the AC line was just replaced not actually rerouted???
Old 06-23-2005, 07:54 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I thought that the AC line was just replaced not actually rerouted???
It is replaced but you may want to safetey wire it up to something. If not it could possible rub on the wastegate piping. Same thing I'd do with any line in my car. Zip tie or safety wire it out of the way.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I asked my installer about this yesterday, and he said he read the instructions and decided it was better to go with the 1/8in rather than what they provided. I'm glad he did so, as I've had no issues with the oil line.

Just anoter heads up for you future self-installers -- Make sure you are VERY careful where you route the AC line. Mine ended up getting routed too close to some of the piping and it ended up burning a hole through the shielding and causing a leak. Turbonetics sent me a new line and we dropped it in a few days ago, being extra careful of where it was routed and also adding extra shielding, and now I have cold AC again. Good thing is, I think my AC is colder now than before the install.
You're not the first person this happened to. It happened to LawW as well.