Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The 1 Man Turbonetics Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJonnyWispit
well i have some bad news... i have tapped the hole and the crack is worse than i thought.... it runs all the way to the gold ball in the boss that faces the front of the car (some will know what i mean) so i dont think its gonna matter about tapping the hole. i believe its still going to leak at the front boss. i cant get ahold of brad or reggie right now i guess they are at lunch. this BLOWS. if only the 1/8 tap was mentioned in the instructions.....
I'm trying to get a hold of them right now..
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 AM
SirJonnyWispit

Brad called and it looks like its back to the welding option.... if my guy cant weld it closed Brad said he has the upper pan on the display engine and is willing to send that to me which is GREAT. But im not sure what will happen as far as getting it put on... I dont have the money to pay someone to do it and i really dont want to go into that myself so maybe that will be covered as well.... i guess we will see.... to be continued......
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Brad called and it looks like its back to the welding option.... if my guy cant weld it closed Brad said he has the upper pan on the display engine and is willing to send that to me which is GREAT. But im not sure what will happen as far as getting it put on... I dont have the money to pay someone to do it and i really dont want to go into that myself so maybe that will be covered as well.... i guess we will see.... to be continued......
Hopefully that weld will fix it...
Old 06-10-2005, 05:39 AM
rxtrom

So let me get this straight. I am a little confused.

The oil pan spacer won't help?

Is this because the hole you have a crack in is the one pre-drilled from the factory, and the one you drilled is fine?

Also how much was the A/c Line move that infinity did?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:58 AM
g356gear

If you cant weld it then the motor will have to come out to change the upper oil pan. Or you can support the motor from the top and drop the whole front suspension. Not an easy fix unfortunately
Old 06-10-2005, 06:08 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I'm confused I thought the tap was successful and it was the T that was the problem????

the ironic part is that i have no problems with the fitting i had to drill and tap, it went flawless... it was the hole that was already there that ended up causing problems... i would never have thought, if anything i figured it would be drilling into the upper pan that would/could go wrong. and to my defense i think if im capable of drilling and tapping a hole that is leak free i know what im doing when simply screwing in a T that is already threaded.
well i talked to brad and reggie... brad said that they have been using an 1/8 ID NPT pipe tap like the one sent for the return line on that hole on older cars (mines an 03??).

Last edited by 35ounces; 06-10-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Turbonetics

The oil sending unit port on these motors is a 1/8” tapped hole and some of these holes appear tighter than others depending on how deep the hole was originally tapped as this is a tapered thread. We had not experienced the installation problem ourselves with the fitting that this installation has, either way we should have not assumed that chasing the threads with a tap would be routinely done by the installing technician and should have mentioned it in our installation instructions to chase the thread with a pipe tap as well as warning not to over tighten the fitting. The installation instructions have just been changed and the 1/8” tap will now be included in the turbo system hardware kit.

Brad

Last edited by Turbonetics; 06-10-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
SirJonnyWispit

Im glad to hear that but i just hope its not too late for me. I have another man coming for a 2nd opinion on heli-arc welding the crack tonight. If he can seal the crack i plan to plug the front hole (with gold ball) with this loctite cold weld and also use a hard set thread lock on the T. Im determined to get this thing running without removing the upper pan.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Turbonetics

Im glad to hear that but i just hope its not too late for me. I have another man coming for a 2nd opinion on heli-arc welding the crack tonight. If he can seal the crack i plan to plug the front hole (with gold ball) with this loctite cold weld and also use a hard set thread lock on the T. Im determined to get this thing running without removing the upper pan.
Good luck...please let me know how things progress.

Brad
Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Turbonetics
The oil sending unit port on these motors is a 1/8” tapped hole and some of these holes appear tighter than others depending on how deep the hole was originally tapped as this is a tapered thread. We had not experienced the installation problem ourselves with the fitting that this installation has, either way we should have not assumed that chasing the threads with a tap would be routinely done by the installing technician and should have mentioned it in our installation instructions to chase the thread with a pipe tap as well as warning not to over tighten the fitting. The installation instructions have just been changed and the 1/8” tap will now be included in the turbo system hardware kit.

Brad
Brad for those of us who have already bought the kit, can we get our hands on that 1/8" tap that is now being included in the kit
Old 06-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Turbonetics

Originally Posted by Peking
Brad for those of us who have already bought the kit, can we get our hands on that 1/8" tap that is now being included in the kit
Absolutely….just call Reggie 805-581-6710 with your kit serial number and we will send you the tap at no cost.

Brad
Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 AM
taurran

My oil tap is working fine as far as I know... I haven't seen any oil leaks.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us who ordered our kits 6 weeks ago, and are apparently going to be waiting several more weeks for whatever reason, should we assume that this tap will be included?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 PM
SirJonnyWispit

kcobean you havent got your kit yet? i thought everyone who had made the order was waiting on the V clamps?? who did you order it through??
Old 06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
kcobean

kcobean you havent got your kit yet? i thought everyone who had made the order was waiting on the V clamps?? who did you order it through??
I ordered through Avalon Racing on May 2nd, but everything I've been told so far indicates that unless a shop had a kit in stock, the delays are at Turbonetics right now. I need to find out when my actual order went in to Turbonetics so I have all the facts, but needless to say, I'm not pleased at the delay, especially considering I was going to MAJORLY sport this kit at Hot Import Nights here in Washington DC (I might even have had a spot in a booth for a VERY well known shop). If I've learned anything after all the modding I've done to my car, it's that there are only a handful of people you can trust to give you a straight answer after you've commited your 5 thousand dollars to a purchase. Don't mean to hi-jack, sorry. I really hope the weld works out to save your install man. Keep us posted.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelly, sorry to hear about the delays. They are legitimately at Turbonetics as you know. I do have one kit in stock, if anyone else is interested in the Turbonetics kit. $4720 shipped to your door.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Turbonetics

Sorry guys but yes the delays are on our end. When we released the system we made the initial production run of 100 complete systems and they went faster than we expected or were able to react to. The hold up as of today is the black chrome boost tubes, the tubes are manufactured and polished and are in the black chrome process now but it’s looking like it may be the week of June 20th before our next batch of kits are ready to go and 80% of those are already sold.

We have adjusted our MRP system to increase production quantities and should be ahead of the game fairly soon. Thanks for everybody’s patients.

Kelly, it looks like your system will the first one out the door...again guys sorry for the delays.

Brad
Old 06-10-2005, 05:49 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry guys but yes the delays are on our end. When we released the system we made the initial production run of 100 complete systems and they went faster than we expected or were able to react to. The hold up as of today is the black chrome boost tubes, the tubes are manufactured and polished and are in the black chrome process now but it’s looking like it may be the week of June 20th before our next batch of kits are ready to go and 80% of those are already sold.

We have adjusted our MRP system to increase production quantities and should be ahead of the game fairly soon. Thanks for everybody’s patients.

Kelly, it looks like your system will the first one out the door...again guys sorry for the delays.

Brad
Brad:

Congratulations to you and all those at Turbonetics for your success with the sales of these kits. I am pleased to see you are working closely with customers like SirJonnyWispit to meet their needs.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
SirJonnyWispit

ok i have an update... my man came by to give me a 2nd opinion and here is where i stand... next week he will be coming with a heli-arc machine. he said he can fix it, no question in his mind but he said welding it is gonna mess up the threads... so i have to get a heli-coil kit which is basically a plug of sorts and a pipe tap. the plug goes into the ruined hole and then you drill it out the plug and tap it so the T will go in... he said if the front plug (gold ball) comes out he can plug weld that hole since thats all it does is plug where they had to drill that oil galley. this has been some crazy adventure but it looks like ill be able to drive around in this thing by next week. he said he can do it and i dont doubt him but so far murphys law has been in effect..... so who knows....
Old 06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
kcobean

Brad
Hey Brad,
I sent you a PM with a little clarification on my earlier post. I apolgize if it came off sounding directed at Turbonetics. Delays happen. We all understand that.

In any case, as zland said, it's good to see Turbonetics interfacing with the community like this. It's a nice reassurance to know that you're here listening.

EDIT: Johnny, I'm glad to read your post above, and I apologize for the OT posts. I can't wait to hear your impressions on the kit. Enjoy it man....You've earned it.

Last edited by kcobean; 06-10-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: The 1 Man Turbonetics Install