Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Tuned the car to supercharged viper killing status

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tuned the car to supercharged viper killing status

ohhhhh yeah, you read right...
Paxton Supercharged Viper (making an alleged 3 lbs of boost)...let me back up for a second here

So, we spent an entire day tuning...an ENTIRE day!...the we is , Brody from SPEEDLAB, Sharif from FORGED INTERNALS (www.forgedinternals.com), and myself (I was more of a spectator)...

Brody is deep in thought and Sharif appears to be dancing...

We encountered and conquered many hurdles along the tuning process. The final product was a very conservative, safe tune at 14psi. The power numbers were:
14psi: 529 rwhp, 537.6 torque
This is with A/F at a steady 11.2-11.8:1 and pulling a max of 12 degrees timing.

All I can say is, WOH!..I never thought that less power could feel so much MORE powerful...I was at 603rwhp (sae corrected) at my last tune, pulling less timing...the power was crazy, but i couldn't really hook up until late 3rd gear. The car now delivers the power to the ground! First gear still needs to be feathered, but 2nd gear sticks a good portion of the gear (before it just stripped out the tires until redline)..and 3rd is entered with the momentum of 2nd, launching the car forward and kicking you back in your seat!!!

So, now back to the trial of the power...the application of this power in real life circumstances, so to speak

So, Sharif and I finished eating a well deserved dinner after a long day of troubleshooting and successful tuning... I had suggested that we go drive around the known spots in town where street races run rampant...
We were a bit disapointed with what tried to come our way for the challenge...a bit insulted at that...
we were challenged by a beat to hell cobra- ate his lunch and continued on...we were revved at by several SRT4's, WRX's, various hondas, and other interesting conbinations of florescent lit/ shopping cart winged abberations of the car world....when......

we came upon a worthy oponent...a new (I don't know years, but Sharif was pretty convinced it was a newer model) Viper, definately sounded of an upgraded exhaust..and that was all that we could tell from our 4 car following distance.

So, we finally got next to the Viper at a light, we complimented the owner on a great choice in style and asked him what was done...he had exhaust, gears, and a Paxton Sipercharger..woh-stop everything---..this car is gonna be insane..we better back away...

I asked the guy if he wanted to run it, he warned me of how his car gets really squirly, so we followed to a road away from traffic...we rolled to 30mph and then hit it...through second gear we stayed side by side, third gear started to pull me ahead, and by 4th gear, i had almost a car length on him...we slowed down to safe speeds and gave our props and then headed home....the whole time, saying holy ****!!!, we just beat a supercharged viper!!!...the owner of the viper explained that his supercharged needed to be retuned (guessing with a different sized pully-as he was experiencing a loss in boost due to our altitude-as he apparently just moved here--another example of how altitude DOES INDEED affect boost!!!!!!!

To end this long ranting and raving session, I want to thank Brody (SPEEDLAB) for spending his entire day helping make this project Z a successful one...Sharif (forgedinternals) for flying in from North Carolina to combine his knowledge and talent with Brody to ensure a safe, conservative tune, and Chris from Dynoedge..for allowing me to tie up his dyno all day long...and being so easy going about hang ing around for such a long time!
Old 06-18-2005, 11:37 PM
aalzuhair

Congrats man Well done ..... and a very nice kill

Az
Old 06-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hot damn! great kill and great story!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:05 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey, just curious, what brand tire do you use?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Very nice Todd!

You wouldn't happen to know about this black cooling coating that Bini has on his intercooler would you? Matthew (Bini) told me to ask Sharif and since Sharif is probably not able to access a computer for at least a day I figured i'd ask if you had talked about it before or if you knew about it?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM
the7ferret

awsome, i think that you tuned it to provide the power at the right points in the curve.

I sure 600 hp is great and all but if it dosent put the power down at the right time its useless. Congrats and I will hold my jealsousy in...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Aquineas

I'm glad your car is back; yours and Bartleb's kill stories are the most fun to read :-).
Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Got the dyno sheet scanned...
Old 06-19-2005, 03:28 AM
Machupo

wow, AFR looks awesome!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Jaki

WOW! Awesome!

Did you tell that Viper that you had a built engine, or was it more of a surprise? lol
Old 06-19-2005, 06:46 AM
GMADD

That's just sick !!!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:16 AM
going deep

Todd, that is an incredible KILL to now be able to say you spanked a supercharged Viper. Can you imagine how pissed this guy was?? I am so happy you got rid of the gremlins in your car and now ready to kill 100k cars with your built Z. Its kills like this one that make the time and money we have both put into our cars worth it.

LMAO, I challenge anyone to post a better kill story than Todds.

BTW, your torque curve is insane with that torque peak you have near 4300. Thats gotta slam you in your seat hard!!!

Last edited by going deep; 06-19-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 AM
g356gear

What are you running for an engine management combination??
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Man, I had a blast. I wanted to thank Todd again for inviting me down.

Todd is running an eManage setup, with timing harness, MAP tuned, and also has a AAM 440cc Injector Relfash.

Now let me add my own personal recollection of this Viper race. First of all, this one street called Montgomery, is like the main drag in Albuqueque. It's like a scene from the Fast and Furious III reject cars. Similar to the quality of cars that are denied access at a typical Hot Import Nights Event. You know, the type with the shopping car spoilers, unpainted body kits, and fart can exhuasts.

Of course the sad thing, is these types would continually rev on us, and otherwise pester the living crap out of me and Todd. So at this point, we figured the night would end without a compelling race of any kind......UNTIL....we pulled into this local hamburger joint, and its just packed with cars and streetbikes. Most of the cars were unworthy, but like an oasis in the desert, we spot a heavily modded 2004/05 Viper...almost waiting for us. What timing....I flew 1500miles, and out of nowhere, this modded Viper is waiting for us.

So without even a nod, the Viper guy gets in his car, and we follow him out on the main drag. I am trying to listen for signs of major power adders, and I honeslty heard nothing but an exhuast and header. He also had some HUGE sick *** blacked out wheels...not sure what brand. Anyways, I recall that Paxton Vipers dont make a whole of compressor noise...so maybe...just maybe...this one was blown. Honestly, I figured it wasn't...just dont see too many of those things in this part of the country.

So we finally escape the madness of traffic, and Todd and the driver exchance words. We mentioned our car was twin turbo, and he told us about his Paxton, that he claimed was only boosting 3psi, vs. the 8psi it normally sees. These cars at 8psi make roughly 750-780whp at the wheel. CP Racing has done a couple of them, so I am pretty familiar with this setup. I am guessing that at 3psi, he is probably putting down somewhere around 600whp..maybe slightly more.

Pretty much from the start, I felt todd was in the lead. When the massive trq spike kicked in at 3000rpm-4000rpm, it was like GOODNIGHT.....we pulled a nice car on the Viper....and remained pretty much in that position until the race concluded.

I must say that Viper sounds unfreakingbelievable at those power levels...I couldnt even hear Todd's car at all....LOL We gave each other thumbs up, and I gave Todd I big high-five....for his first major kill on his new motor.

The Viper race was the icing on the cake.....glad I could be a witness!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Machupo
wow, AFR looks awesome!
Sometimes I think these stock ECU's are possessed. They oftentimes just dump fuel at 4000rpm for no reason (this is the point where the MAF is maxed out...typically). That coupled with the boost controller boost spike, cause this slight wave in the A/F ratio line...and also a nice little spike in trq!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Sometimes I think these stock ECU's are possessed. They oftentimes just dump fuel at 4000rpm for no reason (this is the point where the MAF is maxed out...typically). That coupled with the boost controller boost spike, cause this slight wave in the A/F ratio line...and also a nice little spike in trq!
I was curious about that. That's why I asked about the management solution.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:19 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Jaki
WOW! Awesome!

Did you tell that Viper that you had a built engine, or was it more of a surprise? lol

I told him that we had been tuning my car all day and needed something worthy to race
Old 06-19-2005, 10:23 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Talking

Funny to hear your version of the race Sharif!
I'm glad you were in the car with me...if you weren't, I'm guessing nobody would have believed me...

Again, thanks Sharif for coming down, it was a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to checking out your ride in Charlotte!

I just got back from buying some synthetic oil, some hoses, adaptors, clamps, and so on-- I'm gonna install that catch can in a few minutes...

PLEASE ANYBODY: if you have a catch can installed, please post some pictures...THX!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Todd is running an eManage setup, with timing harness, MAP tuned, and also has a AAM 440cc Injector Relfash.
Congrats and getting the car up and running again. Can you tell us more about the flash? I remember reading you were going to do something with the timing maps.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Congrats and getting the car up and running again. Can you tell us more about the flash? I remember reading you were going to do something with the timing maps.

Altered Atmosphere did the reflash...

I had the standard timing map copied into the advanced map slot-so, should the ecu want to switch to the advanced map...the advanced map will be the same as the standard mao...the conservative map is still in there (so the ecu can pull timing, say on a bad tank of gas)

Governor was removed, rev limiter raised to 7100, injector scaling modified to 440cc (e-manage does the rest to compensate for the 550's)

I just filled up my car with gas, i put in 4 gallons of 101 octane and the rest 91 octane...I plan to do this every fill-up to add another margin of safety!

Quick Reply: Tuned the car to supercharged viper killing status