Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:09 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!

I have to start this thread with a couple of HUGE THANK YOUs:

First to Turbonetics. To help get me ready for H.I.N., they went way above and beyond to find a kit and get it to the shop practically overnight. They have really won me over with their great customer service and a first rate product. Brad, Reggie, Jahme, Thank you. What a great kit.

Second, to Altered Atmosphere Motorsports. These guys stepped up to the plate to work hand in hand with Turbonetics to get this kit here and installed in the car in time for the show. They did a great job on the install and had the car ready to run with time to spare. If it wasn't for AAM, my car wouldn't be sitting at the Dulles Expo Center w/ Turbo installed, ready to show.

It was a win/win/win situation for this all to have happened. Turbonetics gets advertisement of their kit at a major east coast event, AAM gets to show off their excellent work, and I get a DARN FAST CAR!!!

Also a big thanks to Rob (MIAPLAYA) for following my progress and offering so much valuable advice as this all came together. NICE BUCKET, Marine!

Now on to the kit and my impressions:

Looks: This thing rocks the house. It's by far the best "looker" F/I kit out there just because everything is right up in your face. The black chrome piping is awesome (though my intake pipe is just polished. It was damaged in shipping and I needed it on the car for HIN, so there was no waiting for a replacement. The shop just polished the thing up for me.) The Raptor sits nicely in the vent on my Seibon VT hood.

Sound: The exhaust note that I loved in the GReddy EVO2 is pretty much gone. The turbo makes an excellent muffler. However, the sound of the Turbo under boost and the venting of the Raptor on lift are pure music that was so worth sacrificing my N/A exhaust sound for. At idle, the car sounds just like stock, and as long as you stay out of the boost, it's very much a stock sounding car. Lifting off the throttle when under boost causes the Raptor BOV to emit a rapid succession of chirps as it does its' job.

Driving impressions: Three words...Wow, Wow and Wow. I was very cautious last night as I got used to my new-found power, but I did push the car just hard enough to see where boost was peaking at and do some data logging for the shop. Put your foot on the floor at around 2500 RPM's in 2nd or 3rd gear and hang on for dear life. The boost builds so powerfully that it really sucks you back into your seat. Turbonetics did a fantastic job with this custom-map turbo.

I'm peaking about 9.5 PSI right now. I LOVE the Defi-Link Meter gauges. They allow you to "replay" up to 3 minutes of boost and EGT history, so you can literally sit and watch your sessions after the fact. Very cool stuff. And, they fit perfectly into my Autometer 2-gauge pod.

My initial dynos were at around 360RWHP, just like most people's. I'll get the car in for post ECU-learning dyno's sometime next week and post charts.

Before anybody posts the obligatory "This thread is worthless without pics", I'll be taking lots of pictures of the car in the Altered Atmosphere Motorsports booth at HIN tomorrow. If you're in the area, come say hi!

Oh, and the first person to drive the car (however briefly) w/Turbo besides me was Sharif. It was a great to get his input on the car given his expertise in the field. Maybe he can chime in and give a Pro's impressions.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grats K, I'm glad you like the kit!

Now get us some pics of that pimp ride of yours.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
lane myers

Originally Posted by taurran
Grats K, I'm glad you like the kit!

Now get us some pics of that pimp ride of yours.
+1!!! sounds awesome! and nice write up - if your car is ever in the area i hope i get a peek!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:46 PM
CC 350Z

Congrats Kelly.... I think you made my choice of FI much easier.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 PM
GQ 350z

Congrats bro..cant wait till my Z is at that level.

ravi
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 PM
homiusang

Congrats you finally get the it and have it up and running!!
Sharif was there too? Wow this man is like a pro on tour, travelling nation wide and contributing our Z community, props
Old 06-25-2005, 04:20 AM
PumpedVA

welcome to FI kelly! cant wait to check that out today. Did you say hi to my car while at AAM? LOL
Old 06-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Laww

Grats on the Turbo...welcome to the Turbonetics World

I was able to clock a 12.66 @ 114.99mph at Capitol Raceway last night on street 19s. VERY happy with the performance!!

Laww

Last edited by Laww; 06-25-2005 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

wow not bad...perhaps I need to get FI soon.....
Old 06-25-2005, 05:59 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

looking forward to seeing those pics...congradulations!!!! enjoy the rebirth of your z!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:40 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

congrats and thanks for posting. Been anxiously waiting to hear other impressions of this kit so keep posting. I'd love to HEAR it too.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Drag Limited

AWESOME man!
I have a question but with no intention to steal your thread. I was wondering if the Greddy RS version BOV is a direct replacement or if you had any idea for another BOV that would work because I am not crazy about the sound I have heard from the mpg clips thus far and I was just wondering. On my turbo cars I have always ran HKS SSQV so I know for that to work I would need to weld up a new flange but I was wondering if there were any known direct replacements?
Old 06-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Phatmitzu

Oh nice! Congrats! I shall get mine in a week or so.

Question, did you manually boost up to 9.5 psi? because I thought out of box was at 8 psi. Also, have you experience any fitment problem with the VT hood?

P.S
GOOD LUCK AT HIN!

Old 06-25-2005, 10:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

Congrats BRO...I knew you wouldn't be disappointed... And yessir she was a nice bucket...
Old 06-25-2005, 10:56 PM
backagain

welcome to f/i
Old 06-26-2005, 04:56 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for the comments. Let me respond to each question in order:

DragLimited: This kit comes with the Raptor. The fitting for this BOV is pre-welded onto the boost tube, so I think unless the GReddy is a direct fit, you'd need some customization. Additionally, the horn on the Raptor sits pretty close to the stock hood (and on my VT hood, the rim of the horn actually sits IN one of the vents...It's awesome!!!) Call Turbonetics to see about direct replacements, but I personally really like the sound of the raptor.

Phatmitzu: I'm relying entirely on the wastegate right now. Variations in temperature, etc. could account for the boost fluctuation. The only issue with the hood was that I had to remove the mesh material from one of the slats on the drivers side vent because the horn from the BOV actually sits right up in the slat. There is no rubbing, and it actually looks really cool. It's one additional hint (besides the intercooler) that there is something special under the hood.

Here's a few pics of the car at HIN. Forgive the blur. The lighting was poor, I had the shutter slowed down, and no tripod. Ick.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:58 PM
xxlbeerZ

Wow, nice car!

You know, if I was into the show scene, I would probably go with Turbonetics honestly. It looks pretty good with everything up there in your face.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:01 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Yeah very nice. The Turbonetics shows great. I think the silver tube that you ended up with looks good on your car too. It complements the Raptor well. Woo WOo Woo.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:18 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait for the ride!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

sorry for the random question but is the intercooler supplied with the turbonetics s/t kit polished at all? Cuz from all the pics I've seen I can't really tell but it doesn't look polished like the greddy fmic.

Quick Reply: The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!