Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Problem - Turbonetics Related/Boost/Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Peking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Problem - Turbonetics Related/Boost/Fuel

Ok so today the shop I got to do my install finished, they tell me that the lines/hoses are in order and that everything is pretty much by the book... Though they were missing a gasket that they replaced and different bolts on where the wastegate connects to the tube but I doubt that has anything to do with my problem...

We get her on the dyno, and well the HP numbers are much lower than I expected and the A/F is way to rich (I have the AEM UEGO, Defi Boost/EGT gauges, and the shop used their tools to confim my gauges though the AEM only reads to like 11 anything more rich will not read)... I talked to MIAPLAYA on this, and well we seem to have a idea on what it could be...

One that one of the lines/hoses is pinched or bent, only problem with this is that the guy who did it was very sure that was not the case but will check on it on Tuesday.

That the spring in the wastegate is incorrect and we are not getting the 8 psi like the kit is supposed to have. We consistantly did 6 psi, my boost gauge and their stuff confirmed this. MIAPLAYA does not think this is the case, but does not rule out that it is possible. Cause the wastegate has a few different springs that it uses and well with this kit it is pre-done so I think it is possible I got a wrong spring.

And finally some of the guys in the shop think the boost is right, and the flash program is way to rich, and will need to be re-flashed to the 6 psi along with the conditions of my area.

So I guess I will really find out more on Tuesday on if it is a hose, and will call Turbonetics to get their take and hopefully they can either send me a spring or re-flash my ECU... Cause it is way to rich, and I need my car before next Friday for a long road trip... If anyone has a idea from experience or what not please post up...

Damn this sucks, but hopefully it will work out. The kit looks great, and hopefully I will be able to enjoy it soon lol...
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Peking

My baserun dyno that was done before they started any work on the car... Also I only had the Tanabe Ultra Med. single exhaust that I installed when we did this dyno...

Here is the best dyno result from after the Turbo install...

Here is the boost results...

And well not to sure on what this one is LOL...

Old 07-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Speed Dreams

Check all couplers for a tight fit first, I have found another 30whp by adjusting the plumbing and making sure it's sealed.
What concerns me is your power at 6.3 lbs boost, you should make more.
Here's what I would try first, check the plumbing for leaks, make sure your tubes are as close as possible within the couplers. Shim the waste gate with washers provided to increase boost to 8lbs. Dyno and see where your at.
Your a/f will lean alittle with more boost so make sure your installer/dyno tech monitors this closely.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a boost gauge? the people at the shop *THINK* they have the correct boost? hook up a boost gauge to see if you're leaking boost.

Last edited by accordfreak; 07-02-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny, my car is throwing DTC codes left and right for what seems to be a "too rich" condition, but unlike you, my boost is too high according to my gauges. I will be checking boost with a manual gauge on Wed. to see if it's a gauge problem, but I will be changing springs in the WG if it's not. As for the rich condition, mine only stands to get worse by dropping the boost, so I may very well be in the same boat you are. We'll see.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
Check all couplers for a tight fit first, I have found another 30whp by adjusting the plumbing and making sure it's sealed.
What concerns me is your power at 6.3 lbs boost, you should make more.
Here's what I would try first, check the plumbing for leaks, make sure your tubes are as close as possible within the couplers. Shim the waste gate with washers provided to increase boost to 8lbs. Dyno and see where your at.
Your a/f will lean alittle with more boost so make sure your installer/dyno tech monitors this closely.
I will def. tell them to do this, hopefully it is as simple as that. And pretty much what I thought.

Originally Posted by accordfreak
do you have a boost gauge? the people at the shop *THINK* they have the correct boost? hook up a boost gauge to see if you're leaking boost.
Yeah folk, and it was hitting 6 too. Defi D-Series Boost gauge.

Originally Posted by kcobean
It's funny, my car is throwing DTC codes left and right for what seems to be a "too rich" condition, but unlike you, my boost is too high according to my gauges. I will be checking boost with a manual gauge on Wed. to see if it's a gauge problem, but I will be changing springs in the WG if it's not. As for the rich condition, mine only stands to get worse by dropping the boost, so I may very well be in the same boat you are. We'll see.
Yeah, good luck and def. let us know what is up.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Peking

Also when I got the kit, there were instructions for the BOV and Wastegate... Can anyone post up (scan or something) the instructions on the Wastegate? The shop has it, and I believe when they finished everything they trashed it...

Luckily I have the Turbonetics saved on my computer so I can review that, but wanted to read again the Wastegate one.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Peking
Also when I got the kit, there were instructions for the BOV and Wastegate... Can anyone post up (scan or something) the instructions on the Wastegate? The shop has it, and I believe when they finished everything they trashed it...

Luckily I have the Turbonetics saved on my computer so I can review that, but wanted to read again the Wastegate one.
Nevermind cause Tubonetics re-did their site and the information is there
Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

Really interested to see what this is....
Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Really interested to see what this is....
Well Robb, when reviewing the install directions and the Wastegate instructions I came up with a theory which hopefully will be my answer...

Check out the Turbo kit install instructions in the link below and check out step 68... Where the wastegate connects to that pipe at the base there does not seem to be a gasket... Well the guy who did the install placed a gasket there... Then then you can check out the download link to the Evolution Wastegate... Around step 3. it states there is a discharge gasket for it but no inlet gasket which is what I think the shop made a mistake in installing hence why I hold 6 psi consistantly... So I am thinking to check the lines and stuff again, then to remove that gasket... Hopefully I will be pushing 8 psi after that and if not then we will be back to my theories...

CLICK ME!!!

Last edited by Peking; 07-03-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

It could be...that could be causing an exhaust leak there...
Old 07-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Peking

It could be...that could be causing an exhaust leak there...
Well that wasn't it

I got the shop to remove the gasket that wasn't supposed to be on the inlet side of the wastegate... Wasn't worth a DAMN THING and made me look like a fool to those at the shop :mfrown: But really wasn't supposed to be there anyway but now I am on my own basically...

Anyway here are the "new" numbers

Slighty better numbers, and with a small leak thanks to them not cleaning the surface of the flanges...

So I talked to Reggie, and when I get back from my trip this weekend and when I have time I will be opening up the wastegate to see what spring is inside and if there are any shims in it cause the lines/hoses seem in order...

God this sucks, but oh well that is life.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's weird. Looking at your numbers, since they're CHP, not WHP, You're probably not too far from where you should be. I dynoed at 238 prior to the turbo, which means that there is about 50 HP worth of loss through the drive train (287 minus 238). You are coming in at 310 at the crank,which would put you at around 360 at the wheels. I'll bet when you get this mysterious boost issue figured out, you'll be fine.

I assume the check for boost leaks revealed nothing? Also, has the dyno boost sensor been calibrated or is otherwise known accurate?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 AM
mjedens

Default kcobean

You added instead of subtracting !!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
MIAPLAYA

peking I'm really sorry to hear all this...I wish I could say with certainty what it is thats causing the low boost. I can't believe that they would have the wrong spring in there but that might just be it. One thing I did forget to ask is what elevation you are at...I know Speed Dreams had a pressure loss due to elevation as will any turbo kit that runs off of a wastegate only. Could this be the reason. If so Turbonetics may need to include other wastegate springs with all the kits. I will try to get a hold of him today. I know they are closed for inventory this week but I did call him and left a message...
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by kcobean
That's weird. Looking at your numbers, since they're CHP, not WHP, You're probably not too far from where you should be. I dynoed at 238 prior to the turbo, which means that there is about 50 HP worth of loss through the drive train (287 minus 238). You are coming in at 310 at the crank,which would put you at around 360 at the wheels. I'll bet when you get this mysterious boost issue figured out, you'll be fine.

I assume the check for boost leaks revealed nothing? Also, has the dyno boost sensor been calibrated or is otherwise known accurate?
Your right, it does say flywheel doesn't it (don't know it is some how measured at the fly or the wheels honestly)... But I do think when I get the boost issue figured out there will be more power. Yeah there was not a leak until we took that gasket out, but I believe when I take the wastgate off and clean the flange surfaces along with tightening the bolts well it will be fine. Not sure if the shop boost sensor is calibrated correctly... I wouldn't know other then it connect with a t-shaped funnel that connected right back into the BOV and my boost gauge read 6 psi...

peking I'm really sorry to hear all this...I wish I could say with certainty what it is thats causing the low boost. I can't believe that they would have the wrong spring in there but that might just be it. One thing I did forget to ask is what elevation you are at...I know Speed Dreams had a pressure loss due to elevation as will any turbo kit that runs off of a wastegate only. Could this be the reason. If so Turbonetics may need to include other wastegate springs with all the kits. I will try to get a hold of him today. I know they are closed for inventory this week but I did call him and left a message...
Thanks folk, I guess I will find out on the spring when I get it out... Or even if it is right, then to ask for some shims or something to strengthen the spring... Not sure on elevation, but I guess I will find out. Thanks for the help though.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Your right, it does say flywheel doesn't it (don't know it is some how measured at the fly or the wheels honestly)... But I do think when I get the boost issue figured out there will be more power. Yeah there was not a leak until we took that gasket out, but I believe when I take the wastgate off and clean the flange surfaces along with tightening the bolts well it will be fine. Not sure if the shop boost sensor is calibrated correctly... I wouldn't know other then it connect with a t-shaped funnel that connected right back into the BOV and my boost gauge read 6 psi...

Thanks folk, I guess I will find out on the spring when I get it out... Or even if it is right, then to ask for some shims or something to strengthen the spring... Not sure on elevation, but I guess I will find out. Thanks for the help though.

Any updates on this bro...I let Brad know about what was going on with your kit and he was going to talk to Reggie about and see what was up...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Peking

Any updates on this bro...I let Brad know about what was going on with your kit and he was going to talk to Reggie about and see what was up...
Well right now I am talking to Dave at Altered Atmosphere, after talking to Reggie about getting some of the stuff that comes in the kit... The shop I used took it upon itself at certain points not to completely follow the instructions for the Tubo, wastegate, and BOV... Though I guess it is understandable why, anyway I am leaving for MD tomorrow morning and will be back Sunday some time where I will begin re-routing the BOV line from the plenum and double checking the line from the wastegate to the compressor housing... Along with opening her up to see what exactly is inside (what color spring, and if there are no shims at all).

Oh anyway I am talking to Dave for some parts because I cannot directly order from Reggie (like some new studs for the wastegate, the wastegate discharge gasket, vacuum hose, hose fittings, 9 PSI spring, and the shims) but that is cool cause just as long as I get them

I will def. let you guys know by Monday night what I have found out if anything lol.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well right now I am talking to Dave at Altered Atmosphere, after talking to Reggie about getting some of the stuff that comes in the kit... The shop I used took it upon itself at certain points not to completely follow the instructions for the Tubo, wastegate, and BOV... Though I guess it is understandable why, anyway I am leaving for MD tomorrow morning and will be back Sunday some time where I will begin re-routing the BOV line from the plenum and double checking the line from the wastegate to the compressor housing... Along with opening her up to see what exactly is inside (what color spring, and if there are no shims at all).

Oh anyway I am talking to Dave for some parts because I cannot directly order from Reggie (like some new studs for the wastegate, the wastegate discharge gasket, vacuum hose, hose fittings, 9 PSI spring, and the shims) but that is cool cause just as long as I get them

I will def. let you guys know by Monday night what I have found out if anything lol.

Please do....where exactly did the shop decide to deviate from the Turbonetics plans?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
JimRHIT

Please do....where exactly did the shop decide to deviate from the Turbonetics plans?

The better question is why. Honestly, they were given a kit and paid to install it (correctly, as could be done with the instructions).

That is like a restarunt charbroiling this **** out of your steak just because it is easier to cook that way.

just my thoughts ...

Quick Reply: My Problem - Turbonetics Related/Boost/Fuel