Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

anyone order a short block from SGP Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Blurr350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone order a short block from SGP Racing

anyone order a short block from SGP Racing? just trying to see what the quality of work is, and also to see if it's even worth buliding up a motor through them, or if most shops can do the same caliber work
Old 07-22-2005, 06:12 PM
booger

Yes ..I got one from them....They Messed up my order...wanted all the parts coated ...didnt get it . Wasnt charged for it...butttttt . I had emailed them and talked to them on the Phone several times to confirm what I had ordered too . They did go out of thier way to find a low mile block to put in the stock bore pistons I sent them .But on the other hand...they should of told me...that using stock bore piston could and more than likely would result in piston slap . They didnt . Would I buy another block from them . Yah ...I would . But I would make sure they confirm several times what the order is
Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
xxlbeerZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any other good motor assemblers out there? Seems like Sharif has a good hookup with a machine shop and a transmission guy. Maybe they'll start doing more work for others in the future.

SGP is local to me, and I've always held them in high regards. They're known for doing great work. However, I have been seeing more rants lately, here and on other forums...

I'm thinking about talking to MZM performance in Austin, TX to see if they've done any VQ qork. They're supposed to be good as well. After someone told me about them, I did some checking and they seem pretty reputable.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we had a engine that we build with store bore arias, a low miles.. 7000 miles engine. that sounded pretty nasty. it was not in the rediculous area, but i didnt like it. would i give it back like that? yes, it wasnt bad enough to not give it back. however, we ended up fixing it anyway. Back when we did that we had an extreme APS oil burning problem, this was before people would openly admit it. smoke and mirrors had me convinced that regardless of perfect leakdown and compression numbers that something i did with the engine was causing the oil. so i rebuilt it again out of my own pocket... costs me tons of money of course (And nothing wrong was found), lost money on the project... but at least the engine sounds much better now because I sent the pistons out and had them coated all around to fill up some of that extra gap... wasnt sure if it would work but it sure as heck did and the engine sounded perfect after that.

Last edited by phunk; 07-22-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:37 PM
xxlbeerZ

Yes, I remember I had Arias pistons on my built Honda. The slap was so bad my car sounded like a Model T or some ****, it was kind of embarassing.

After that nightmare I decided I would only by factory turbo cars so I went to DSM's. Guess that didn't last long, now look where I am. Why did Nissan have to come up with such a great looking car!?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:47 AM
booger

When its cold...this thing sounds like a diesel pickup truck .It takes quite a while to quiet down a little . It does love the 100 degree weather though . No over heating and runs and sounds good .
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by booger
Yes ..I got one from them....They Messed up my order...wanted all the parts coated ...didnt get it . Wasnt charged for it...butttttt . I had emailed them and talked to them on the Phone several times to confirm what I had ordered too . They did go out of thier way to find a low mile block to put in the stock bore pistons I sent them .But on the other hand...they should of told me...that using stock bore piston could and more than likely would result in piston slap . They didnt . Would I buy another block from them . Yah ...I would . But I would make sure they confirm several times what the order is
I am not sure why SGP would even put the motor together with stock bore pistons. Any machinist should know you can't put a different material piston into a used bore and hope it won't slap like crazy. Occasionally you might get lucky on a VERY low mile motor and might just need a hone...but you never know how good the bore is from the factory anyhow. Even the low mile motors I have seen have had taper. Most likely a by-product of the engines stroke. Like Phunk said...you can maybe get it to work by applying coatings to pick up a couple of thousandths of gap...but IMO new bores are critical in these motrs for F/I.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Aquineas

If I had a Z, there's no doubt in my mind where I'd take it to get worked on...

Originally Posted by phunk
we had a engine that we build with store bore arias, a low miles.. 7000 miles engine. that sounded pretty nasty. it was not in the rediculous area, but i didnt like it. would i give it back like that? yes, it wasnt bad enough to not give it back. however, we ended up fixing it anyway. Back when we did that we had an extreme APS oil burning problem, this was before people would openly admit it. smoke and mirrors had me convinced that regardless of perfect leakdown and compression numbers that something i did with the engine was causing the oil. so i rebuilt it again out of my own pocket... costs me tons of money of course (And nothing wrong was found), lost money on the project... but at least the engine sounds much better now because I sent the pistons out and had them coated all around to fill up some of that extra gap... wasnt sure if it would work but it sure as heck did and the engine sounded perfect after that.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 AM
mojo powered

oh yeah?? and where is that?

just kidding
Old 07-26-2005, 11:24 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Are there any other good motor assemblers out there? Seems like Sharif has a good hookup with a machine shop and a transmission guy. Maybe they'll start doing more work for others in the future.

SGP is local to me, and I've always held them in high regards. They're known for doing great work. However, I have been seeing more rants lately, here and on other forums...

I'm thinking about talking to MZM performance in Austin, TX to see if they've done any VQ qork. They're supposed to be good as well. After someone told me about them, I did some checking and they seem pretty reputable.
xxlbeerZ,

Could you please contact me privately by email at sales@sgpracing.com with any rants you have seen and where they are located. I pride myself in doing what ever I can to make my customers happy. A lot of times people biatch that have never done business with us or they have never said one word to me about having problems. They justy get on forums and biatch and I have no idea when I would be more then happy to help them out.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by g356gear
I am not sure why SGP would even put the motor together with stock bore pistons. Any machinist should know you can't put a different material piston into a used bore and hope it won't slap like crazy. Occasionally you might get lucky on a VERY low mile motor and might just need a hone...but you never know how good the bore is from the factory anyhow. Even the low mile motors I have seen have had taper. Most likely a by-product of the engines stroke. Like Phunk said...you can maybe get it to work by applying coatings to pick up a couple of thousandths of gap...but IMO new bores are critical in these motrs for F/I.
Well Booger ordered stock sized pistons and they would not work in his own block because the cylinders needed too much work to clean up. So we found the best block we could find to make the pistons work. We did what we could with the parts supplied to us.

PS: Booger....please contact me if you feel you are not happy with the work we did for you and we can discuss what can be done to make you happy.

Last edited by ImportPartsPro; 07-26-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM
t32gzz

Just to add my .02, I have worked with several shops, and SGP has gone out of their way to do everything I asked. And when problems were encountered, they addressed them and fixed them at no cost to me. This included fixing some issues the last shop caused. A great bunch of guys that put out a quality product.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 AM
SSR Engineering

www.lightspeedperformance.cc

Tom has done numerous VQ's and Strokers as well, give him a call he's got great prices and he's extremely knowledgable with the VQ
Old 07-26-2005, 11:47 AM
MIAPLAYA

Speaking of lightspeed what ever became of mazoos widebody built motor uber Z.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Speaking of lightspeed what ever became of mazoos widebody built motor uber Z.
It's getting the audio work done.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
booger

Originally Posted by Kyle(Houston)
Well Booger ordered stock sized pistons and they would not work in his own block because the cylinders needed too much work to clean up. So we found the best block we could find to make the pistons work. We did what we could with the parts supplied to us.

PS: Booger....please contact me if you feel you are not happy with the work we did for you and we can discuss what can be done to make you happy.
Kyle..Pm sent

Just to clear up a couple things . I had the pistons and rods sent to SGP from the guy I bought them from . I assumed they were over bores and the guy I bought them from never mentioned that they were stock bore . I paid the core charge for SGP to find a suitable block to use in the build . And I sent my core to them after recieving the new one
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by booger
Kyle..Pm sent

Just to clear up a couple things . I had the pistons and rods sent to SGP from the guy I bought them from . I assumed they were over bores and the guy I bought them from never mentioned that they were stock bore . I paid the core charge for SGP to find a suitable block to use in the build . And I sent my core to them after recieving the new one
Yeah you are right..the first block we had set aside for you would not work and it just took a while to find one that was within the tolerances we needed.

I sent you an email...Hopefully we can work something out to make sure you are a satisfied customer
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM
failsafe306

Kyle, now you have to make sure my motor is EXTRA awesome so I can brag about how great SGP is!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Gman2004

SGP built my long block and I could not be happier with their service. I have not started the motor yet as it is currently being installed, but I have confindence that I won't be dissappointed with there work.

Right now I am contemplating getting the HKS V Pro, but unsure cause I will loose my cruise control function. If I do decide on the V Pro, I am shipping my car from Miami to Houston so SGP can do the install and tune.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

We are selling built short blocks,cylinder heads as well as the twin-turbo systems,exhausts,intake manifolds,etc..... that we manufacturer in-house.Check out our website to see some of the things we offer for the Z and the G.

BTW, we also built up the Turbo Magazines project Supra's short block and cylinder head.There were four articles on it in Turbo Magazine this year.We also removed and installed the motors,installed the turbo system,fuel system,etc......because we are also an installation facility too.We install what we build and sell I think the Turbo Mag article were in FEB, March,April and May of this year, if I recall correctly.You are read about it and get another look and opinion of the qaulity of our work.Take care.

Last edited by TurboTim; 07-27-2005 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone order a short block from SGP Racing