Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS ST Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
zman1910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS ST Impressions

Hey guys...I have had my car for a little over a day now and thought I'd give you my thoughts on the APS single turbo. As far as specs go....the car was tuned by Tuan for 9 psi and is making 378 rwhp and 400 lb/ft torque.

Let me be the first to say the APS ST kit is simply fantastic. This is honestly the way I imagined a sports car to be. I don't think Ill ever buy another non-turbo sports car. Im boosting the full 9 psi right around 3200 rpm or somewhere around there. The install seems to have gone flawless. I pretty much beat the living hell out of the car all of last night and today and I just checked all the fluids and there aren't any leaks and the oil is still topped off. GRD will be checking the car out tomorrow to see if everything is holding up well and there aren't any leaks...but everything looks ok with so far.

GRD had the y-pipe fabricated for my Greddy EVO2 and man the car sounds really mean now. It did not mute it one bit.

I also want to mention that I am on my stock clutch and there isnt any slipping whatsoever. I am very happy I didnt dish out the extra cash yet. I will be sure to put this one to full use.

I do have one complaint though....when starting the car it doesn't start up as easy as it used to..I have to hold the ignition a little longer than normal. I thought that was strange and after filling up today the car didn't start on initial attempt. The second attempt was successful but once again it took extra effort in holding the ignition....Im just not really comfortable with that. Also after it started...it now seems to be idling really low around 500 rpm. It kinda sounds like its about to die but it doesn't. Just don't feel comfortable with that. Anyways hopefully that will all be figured out tomorrow. They are minor problems so Im not really worried about it.

Good luck to all you guys with the ST... you will love it...the car just flies in every gear.....0-60 must be about 4 sec with 100 approaching a few seconds later. The sound of the car is also just flat out amazing. I honeslty coudn't be happier with my decision...

Many thanks to Tuan, Irshad, GRD crew, and Peter of course for everything. GRD is an excellent shop to deal with and I hope to do much more business with them again next year when Im in town again.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
ara

could you give me an estimate of how much parts and install cost all together? we need video, congrats man.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
zman1910

you have pm
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I would say check the oil return.

I tested the Brainstorm ST ZR and I was just going to take a few hot runs but I ended up cruising the beach for 45 minutes lol. Didn't even know it was there until 4k rpm and you hear the spinning fans. Only thing that can top that experience is 2 snails.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:44 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman1910
I do have one complaint though....when starting the car it doesn't start up as easy as it used to..I have to hold the ignition a little longer than normal. I thought that was strange and after filling up today the car didn't start on initial attempt. The second attempt was successful but once again it took extra effort in holding the ignition....Im just not really comfortable with that. Also after it started...it now seems to be idling really low around 500 rpm. It kinda sounds like its about to die but it doesn't. Just don't feel comfortable with that. Anyways hopefully that will all be figured out tomorrow. They are minor problems so Im not really worried about it.
Sounds like a vacuum or tuning issue. Did they do any idle tuning? Since the kit comes with new injectors.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:04 AM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by King Tut
Sounds like a vacuum or tuning issue. Did they do any idle tuning? Since the kit comes with new injectors.

Most FI cars are hard to start right after installation for a week or two.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Most FI cars are hard to start right after installation for a week or two.
Um sorry no they are not... My Turbonetics car does not have hard start issues and never has. This is usually a sign of the CAS wire being damaged or not feeding proper signal. Double check your connections. If it is not that try priming the fuel system by switching the key to "on" before cranking the car.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Um sorry no they are not... My Turbonetics car does not have hard start issues and never has. This is usually a sign of the CAS wire being damaged or not feeding proper signal. Double check your connections. If it is not that try priming the fuel system by switching the key to "on" before cranking the car.

I see many posts after FI install that say the car is harder to start and idles funny for about a week until the computer adjusts...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

I see many posts after FI install that say the car is harder to start and idles funny for about a week until the computer adjusts...
It must be when piggy backs are used....who knows. Is the idle bumped on this kit at all. I know Turbonetics bumps the idle as part of the reflash to get a better idle with the bigger injectors....
Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 AM
mojo powered

hope to see you'll solve your problems..congrats for getting turboed

waiting to hear more about this kit
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Curiosuly and this is not a bash but the APS kit is hitting full boost at the exact same time as the Turbonetics kit. Did anyone else notice this?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 AM
mojo powered

actually I did.. I always thought the Turbonetics kit hitting full boost in your car so soon even with all the piping was very impressive. But you also need to take into account the trim of the turbos. I'm sure this has been discussed many times elsewhere so I hope I am not opening another can of worms.
APS' shorter piping with less bends should clearly help spool up quite a bit more than the turbonetics, but then you can't see the turbo like Turbonetics so that's the drawback, or not, depending on what you want. I personally think Turbonetics' turbo sizing is perfect for the piping they have, and APS' is perfect for theirs from what I see.

Looking forward to hear more about the dyno.. Is this 400 wtq on a Dynojet? What does this kit put out before the tuning with the APS map? I'll be patient to hear more about it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mojo powered
actually I did.. I always thought the Turbonetics kit hitting full boost in your car so soon even with all the piping was very impressive. But you also need to take into account the trim of the turbos. I'm sure this has been discussed many times elsewhere so I hope I am not opening another can of worms.
APS' shorter piping with less bends should clearly help spool up quite a bit more than the turbonetics, but then you can't see the turbo like Turbonetics so that's the drawback, or not, depending on what you want. I personally think Turbonetics' turbo sizing is perfect for the piping they have, and APS' is perfect for theirs from what I see.

Looking forward to hear more about the dyno.. Is this 400 wtq on a Dynojet? What does this kit put out before the tuning with the APS map? I'll be patient to hear more about it.
Agreed. I think both companies did their homework for sure on turbo selection. Luckily Turbonetics makes their own so its easy to make one to your liking. Both hitting full boost at 3200 is a great thing. As for power I also would like to know what dyno that was done on. Typically I've seen Dynapacks giver higher wtq numbers so maybe thats the case or not. However I would like to see the AFR curve as well as the HP an TQ. 378 at 9 PSI is pretty good. I'd like to maybe bump mine to 9 PSI soon and do an overlay of the curves since I'm making 380 at 8 PSI.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
xxlbeerZ

The guy who drove both cars back to back @ Brainstorm said the APS spools sooner and smoother, but the Turbonetics hits harder.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

The guy who drove both cars back to back @ Brainstorm said the APS spools sooner and smoother, but the Turbonetics hits harder.
Although I would have thought so according to the creator of this thread that is not the case...

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 07-25-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:41 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
As for power I also would like to know what dyno that was done on. Typically I've seen Dynapacks giver higher wtq numbers so maybe thats the case or not. However I would like to see the AFR curve as well as the HP an TQ. 378 at 9 PSI is pretty good. I'd like to maybe bump mine to 9 PSI soon and do an overlay of the curves since I'm making 380 at 8 PSI.
He had it installed/tuned at GRD which uses a Dynapack.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
He had it installed/tuned at GRD which uses a Dynapack.
That would explain the high WTQ numbers....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
nissansource

ROFL (all turbo cars have problems starting the first week) ROFL!

improper install on turbo cars and untuned properly cars yes
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
xxlbeerZ

Originally Posted by nissansource
ROFL (all turbo cars have problems starting the first week) ROFL!

improper install on turbo cars and untuned properly cars yes
Nobody said all, but the problem doesn't seem uncommon.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
narkotic

I have the APS TT in m G35 and do not have starting issues. The car actually starts faster than it used to.

Quick Reply: APS ST Impressions