Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Break-in period supercharger vs turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 PM
thebigsadler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in period supercharger vs turbocharger?

This seems to be one of those unsolved mysteries with uncertain answers. I was wondering if any of the veterans around here could shine some light on this subject? I was always under the impression that any form of forced induction put to an engine requires some break-in time, but from doing some research it seems everyone says to go ahead and stomp on it with superchargers?

I found one thread while searching and the only conclusion was that people said to go ahead and drop the hammer, but there was no reasonable explination for why you don't have to break in the supercharger? I have heard from many tuners that you do have to break in a turbocharger, but I only questioned that because I owned a turbocharged car.

Thanks in advance for some education, maybe this thread could help put an end to the ambiguity that is sc/tc break-in periods.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Peking

Personally for just about everything I do some sort of break'in period. But for some strange reason, and might be because I was having boost problems... But I didn't do one for the turbo, just kinda flogged it.

But I would suggest to break it in slow, many seem around 300 to 500 miles of easy driving for either the S/C, Turbo.

Something like this you will hear alot of different thoughts, so I say do it... Cause if there is a problem better to find it out at part throttle than WOT somewhere.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 PM
VeilsideZ33

but once it's installed... don't they flog it at the dyno a few times?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by VeilsideZ33
but once it's installed... don't they flog it at the dyno a few times?
From what I can tell from past experiences, it depends on who it is... Or actually the shop, depends on if they believe to break in or just put her on the dyno right away and see what she can do

That is what happened after mine was on.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:59 AM
thebigsadler

That's another thing.. When a car has a sc/tc installed, it goes on a dyno nearly right after, does a couple WOT pulls to get tuned and then they tell you to "break it in." WTF?

Is the break-in reasoning mainly an oil issue? So that you can make sure cleaner oil is getting circulated through? Is it for the fuel system to react to the added parts and pressurization? Is the car shy and it has to get used to sporting an intercooler that everyone can see (lame joke, i know)? I am just trying to understand the actual process behind a break-in that makes it important or even worthwhile?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by thebigsadler
That's another thing.. When a car has a sc/tc installed, it goes on a dyno nearly right after, does a couple WOT pulls to get tuned and then they tell you to "break it in." WTF?

Is the break-in reasoning mainly an oil issue? So that you can make sure cleaner oil is getting circulated through? Is it for the fuel system to react to the added parts and pressurization? Is the car shy and it has to get used to sporting an intercooler that everyone can see (lame joke, i know)? I am just trying to understand the actual process behind a break-in that makes it important or even worthwhile?
Not everyone/shop puts a car right on the dyno, some tell you to take it easy for a couple of days maybe a week come back and then they put it on the dyno... You could easily ask them to not dyno until you are ready.

Break-in to me has more than just one main issue, but do what you feel comfortable with... If you want to play it safe for a while, do that... Or if you want to flog it then well folks do that too... So it is up to you, just make sure everything is straight before whatever you choose.

I have the ability to purchase a new motor if I need it, so just getting on it after the install didn't worry me to much... But if you would be unable to quickly get a new motor incase something happens then take it easy IMO.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:12 PM
ryan350zpower

damn, after i installed my turbonetics st... i dyno'd 375 whp with only borla exhaust, but my problem is that my a/f is around 12.4 and im seriously worried... my boost peaked at 8.5 any help?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:15 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryan350zpower
damn, after i installed my turbonetics st... i dyno'd 375 whp with only borla exhaust, but my problem is that my a/f is around 12.4 and im seriously worried... my boost peaked at 8.5 any help?
Wrong thread?
PM Miaplaya