Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SFR 60-1 hi-fi twin turbo 1000+WHP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 PM
tonio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may have been asked but how is the transmission holding up? Or what changes do you guys expect to make to the drivetrain?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by davidahn
I thought the price was kinda painful at $7895, now we're talking $2500 more for installation/tuning?!? Too rich for my blood! I guess the Turbonetics single is sounding pretty good right about now (cheaper kit, cheaper install). Even the APS is sounding good, with similar power/torque figures, and a good track record.

I don't know enough about turbos to get all excited about this like the other guys here. I just want the most bang for my buck. Thanks for the replies!

David
The kit may cost more initialy but in the long run if you are looking for high power levels it is cheaper b/c you dont need to buy a second set of turbos upgrade intercooler piping, etc.....

Try to get anywhere close to 1000bhp with the turbonetics single, APS, or greddy.

It all just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

I thought the price was kinda painful at $7895, now we're talking $2500 more for installation/tuning?!? Too rich for my blood! I guess the Turbonetics single is sounding pretty good right about now (cheaper kit, cheaper install). Even the APS is sounding good, with similar power/torque figures, and a good track record.

I don't know enough about turbos to get all excited about this like the other guys here. I just want the most bang for my buck. Thanks for the replies!

David

An APS install is going to cost 2k+ so we are still in-line with that set-up from a dollar standpoint.All the twin turbos are going to cost 2K+ to install.Just something to think about.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:36 AM
SSR Engineering

David
David,

The cheapest price doesen't always mean the best deal. You're paying for insurance of knowledge of performance and tuning. New/Rookie shops might charge less for the install, but we have the experience under our belt, and we charge what we think is fair for guaranteed work. You can ask any of our customers if they think they overpaid for what they've received, because we are always here practically 24/7 for everyone of our customers and non-customers as well. We appreciate what we do, and we like to help out, so if you have any questions that you would like to have answered feel free to give any of us a buzz, we're here to help, we're enthusiasts too after all

Last edited by SSR Engineering; 08-16-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by tonio
It may have been asked but how is the transmission holding up? Or what changes do you guys expect to make to the drivetrain?
At this time the factory drivetrain is being used, and is holding up, which is more then I can say for the tires lol. In the future on the built motor we will probably be using a twin plate clutch system.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2000-2500 is definitely not out of the ballpark for a good/competent TT install. Given that lots of things need very close attention during a tt install (removing headers, putting manifolds on - lots of chances for leaks, etc, just one example), you definitely want someone that has done it before, many times.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 AM
DragonZ

What amazes me about SSR Engineering is that they have Mobile Installation prices for $1995. Now that is service...a shop that comes to you....If I was in Arizona I would take advantage of that!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:46 PM
davidahn

I guess it's not too much if $10,400 is in your budget (that's VERY close to Mercedes supercharger prices, BTW).

If I were filthy rich, I wouldn't be here... I'd have a Murciélago. If I were a regular guy that lived, ate, and breathed racing, I'd be whipping out my credit cards right now. As it is, I'm just a regular guy that wants a little more power than stock for a little more money than stock. I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree!

David
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
JimRHIT

Well,

Here is a completely unbiased review of this kit. First off, I am a Z owner and San Diego resident ... which just so happened to put me in a position to meet up with Tim (turbotim - the owner/fabricator of this kit)...and I was offered a ride. I was more than happy to take Tim up on his offer. I was/used to be/still kinda am a big mustang 5.0 guy, so I know what a fast car is. I spent 3 years riding and driving in my roomates 11.3x notchback and countless runs in many a 10 second cars ... so although fast Z's have impressed me, none have made me say wow ... UNTIL today.

Aesthetically, this is the cleanest kit that I have seen on the Z yet. One simple pipe (with beautiful welds) and a gigantic Godzilla BOV. It is understated, yet looks serious ... very nice and clean.

Idle, it is silent .. you could fool any cop with this thing as long as they don't notice the BOV with a freakin 3" horn Seriously, it idles as smooth and quiet as stock, even with the 3" HKS duals.

City driving. We took a slow ride from where we were to the freeway in a little stop and go trafficy area for 1 mile. It was fairly quiet without any hint of turbo or aftermarket exhaust under 3k rpm. Very smooth and stock-like.

Freeway - read: FULL BOOST

WOW! This car is truly transformed. We got to do about 3 40-150mph runs in succession and this car HAULS A$$. I have spent countless hours in the Turbonetics Z (no offense to that car) but this thoroughly desimated it. The wastegate (currently dumping to atmosphere) and the HKS exh. truly come alive and let you know this car is serious. The rush of power is hard and fast ... hitting 8.6psi right around 4k rpms. Third gear hit so hard I actually said "wow" that was fast. Fourth pulled equally as hard and 5th was just as impressive. The car feel to me what an aftermarket kit should feel like ... MEAN. Tim calls this car the Fearlady, and I now do too. This car is a beast...it is so calm and subdued ... and then suddenly, boost hits and this is a gad dammed machine, it just went and went. We didn't get much time under 30 mph since Tim is still on stock 17s with no LSD ... but our quick 0-80 run was impressive as well (at least after we hooked at 50mph, lol)

In comparison to the TN kit this I have come to respect (and plan on getting someday), this car is totally different and FEELS significantly faster. This is to me, coming from my "hit-hard" instant torque big V8 days. is what aftermarket boost feels like. It is loud, raw and relentless. The turbonetics feels like factory boost .. almost like its just a more powerful car with some turbo noise to compliment it. Sadly, it was getting a little late, so no comparison runs were made to see the real winner there. But my rear-end dyno would take the SFR Fearlady in a second on a bet.

I don't know a better way to express it, other than that I was suprisingly impressed with the power, speed and force delivered by this kit. It was a great time in the car .. and of course I got videos ... and Tim, as always, you were a great guy to talk to and I look forward to seeing you out there again sometime.

Thanks again,
Jim Walter
- vids around noon pst tomorrow when I get to work -

Last edited by JimRHIT; 08-16-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Next time I will give MIA a ride. The good news is that there is still alot of Turbonetics parts on the Ol' Fearlady Z. Honestly though, we are talking about two different beasts.One is all out and relentless and the other is more subdued and feels like a Z with a bigger motor (I got to ride in MIAs TurboneticsZ). Unfortunately, most of the turbo set-up will never be seen by most people with the Speed Force kit.It is definitely a stealth turbo system. Although it is pretty clean:^) The Turbonetics system is bam in your face when you pop the hood. But it was funny to see MIA rush to shut his hood when the cops were about to pull in. LOL.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:49 PM
GXCLUSIV
Gymrats G35 TT

I also got a chance to ride in Tims FearladyZ 2 weeks ago, and was very impressed. $hit was scary fast, even with stock cams/exhaust/plenum, and un-tuned at the time. You really feel the Torque power on this car. Was sold and bought the kit, but opted for ball-bearing turbos. Hoping mine will be done in couple weeks. We're shooting for 460-470+ rwhp with just HKS exhaust, stock cams/plenum at 8-9psi, possibly less.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM
davidahn

I wish I could justify it; I'd love to have the power. And if I were bitten by the bug as hard as you guys, I'd probably pony up, too (and risk a divorce). But my hats are off to you guys... you must be single or your wives must be much more understanding than mine. As it is, my wife MAY let me spend $5-6K total.

David
Old 08-17-2005, 12:36 AM
STFU Tuning

I wish I could justify it; I'd love to have the power. And if I were bitten by the bug as hard as you guys, I'd probably pony up, too (and risk a divorce). But my hats are off to you guys... you must be single or your wives must be much more understanding than mine. As it is, my wife MAY let me spend $5-6K total.

David
Do as I do. When you're not working, play poker. Thats how I pay for everything.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by STFU Tuning
Do as I do. When you're not working, play poker. Thats how I pay for everything.

Or you can do what I do. I do the finances so my wife never sees my mod bill.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Landbarger

Let's see some freakin' vids!

-Adam (wishes he lived close enough to take a ride with TurboTim)
Old 08-17-2005, 08:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Tim it was good to see you last night and I'm really glad you made it out. its always good to have another good fabricator/desinger around. I must say your car looks MEAN and sounds just the same. As you said these are two TOTALLY different designs and it shows. Like you said with my kit the car feels like it has a V8 in it due to the linear power delivery. Your car, well from watching you drive away I felt my pooper puckering. That car gets SQUIRRLY when you hit boost. I look forward to going for a ride maybe next Tuesday and definitely getting a little comparo run going. Granted the extra 80 ft/lb is going to make it a very lopsided run but it will be nice to get a nice stock, Turbonetics ST, and Fearlady Z run going to show people the difference in each. Good seeing you again., Look forward to seeing you out there again next week.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

MIA picked a pack of pickled peppers with his puckered pooper My car is pretty squirrley. Next time out though I am hoping to have additional 75 ft/lbs and 60 HP at the wheels
Old 08-17-2005, 09:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by TurboTim
MIA picked a pack of pickled peppers with his puckered pooper My car is pretty squirrley. Next time out though I am hoping to have additional 75 ft/lbs and 60 HP at the wheels
Good God man when is enough enough...well the answer is never when it comes to power. I'm getting the video right now. Give me 20 minutes and I'llpost it up...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
JimRHIT

yeah ... my upload speeds for this video are about as quick as a N/A Z ...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
yeah ... my upload speeds for this video are about as quick as a N/A Z ...
Uploading to my host now...