Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Club 600whp...Dress Code Stricly Enforced...anyone else wanna join?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
depends on how hard you drive the car, and longevity is anyone's guess.
Drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Drive it like you stole it!
I am. Which is why I am hurrying up with the new Darton block....just in case. I know the tune is solid..I just dont trust the open deck and headgasket.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:00 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I am. Which is why I am hurrying up with the new Darton block....just in case. I know the tune is solid..I just dont trust the open deck and headgasket.
If have to ship my car to SGP and the motor has to be taken out I think I might add sleeves as well.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
nightfire

I know the 350Z has an open block but what exactly is the difference between an open block, a semi-closed block, and a closed block? I have been really looking into getting the most out of 350Z's and STi's just to see what they're capable of these days and I know some people are going with the Crawford Performance S4 semi-closed blocks for their STi's. Is anyone doing anything like that with 350Z's? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of going closed or semi-closed?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by nightfire
I know the 350Z has an open block but what exactly is the difference between an open block, a semi-closed block, and a closed block? I have been really looking into getting the most out of 350Z's and STi's just to see what they're capable of these days and I know some people are going with the Crawford Performance S4 semi-closed blocks for their STi's. Is anyone doing anything like that with 350Z's? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of going closed or semi-closed?
Open deck means the cyliner walls are unsupported, particularly at the top of the bore. The level of "open-ness" varies. For instance, on Honda blocks, the open cavity is very deep (wobbly), whereas the VQ is open just in the top inch of the bore.

A closed deck design means the cyliner walls are fully supported by the block itself. They do this on EVO's, Supras, 300zx, etc.

The main difference is strength. Closed deck blocks, all things being equal, are stronger than an open design. Open decks, arguably, offer better cylinder cooling that closed designs.

Semi-closed is a catch all terms, and could be anything that is in between open and closed. For instance, you can peg the cylinder wall, or use a block gaurd...etc. I dont recommend either of these options, though.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by nightfire
Open deck means the cyliner walls are unsupported, particularly at the top of the bore. The level of "open-ness" varies. For instance, on Honda blocks, the open cavity is very deep (wobbly), whereas the VQ is open just in the top inch of the bore.

A closed deck design means the cyliner walls are fully supported by the block itself. They do this on EVO's, Supras, 300zx, etc.

The main difference is strength. Closed deck blocks, all things being equal, are stronger than an open design. Open decks, arguably, offer better cylinder cooling than closed designs.

Semi-closed is a catch all terms, and could be anything that is in between open and closed. For instance, you can peg the cylinder wall, or use a block gaurd...etc. I dont recommend either of these options, though. It's best to go with a Darton sleeve, or a stock block...depending on your power goals.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
tig488

thanks sharif, i didnt catch that the first time you said it.

nah, just kidding with you man, when are you gonna turn the boost up on that thing and get some real numbers?

oh....nevermind.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by tig488
thanks sharif, i didnt catch that the first time you said it.

nah, just kidding with you man, when are you gonna turn the boost up on that thing and get some real numbers?

oh....nevermind.
hehe...sooner than you think. Wait...are you saying 622whp isnt real power..LOL. 1/3 throttle roasts the tires in 1st and 2nd gear on cold tires.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:28 PM
tig488

haha, i was just playing with you, i think if i had 600+ WHP, id be the happiest man on the planet. thats just amazing. i might just have to drive a few hours and see that beast when you get it done.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by tig488
haha, i was just playing with you, i think if i had 600+ WHP, id be the happiest man on the planet. thats just amazing. i might just have to drive a few hours and see that beast when you get it done.
I still remember giving a Ron (Roncfp) a ride in my car a couple weeks ago, and he was reaching for the "oh-chit" handle.