Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

closed decks

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:13 AM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theking
I think we just got into troll territory. If this person "really" wants this much power then they aren't going to sleeve the motor. We all know that.
I don't know about a troll necessarily, but more research def. needs to be done before talking about sleeving and 400hp. It feels like the view on the RX7 world again, nothing is safe enough in the motor when that isn't completely true.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

002-M-P...I definitely agree with you.

Many people are going overboard with safety precautions...mainly because of the horror stories they've heard.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
002-M-P...I definitely agree with you.

Many people are going overboard with safety precautions...mainly because of the horror stories they've heard.
Here's good case in point , the Pauter rods you show.
They are "huge" overkill for all but the >800rwhp club.
Not many there yet , are there?
For the same cost there are better matched , lighter alternatives that don't require mass to be added to the crank counterwieghts to dynamically balance the assembly. For example most forged I-beams out there (Carillo and Crower to name a few) are a better "balanced" choices. It's just easier to get a supply of Pauters.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by G3po
For the same cost there are better matched , lighter alternatives that don't require mass to be added to the crank counterwieghts to dynamically balance the assembly. For example most forged I-beams out there (Carillo and Crower to name a few) are a better "balanced" choices. It's just easier to get a supply of Pauters.
Well, slightly different. (BTW, your browser cache needs to be updated, it's showing my old pic) You need rods at around 450-500+rwhp...might as well buy a decent priced rod that can handle the power you want if you decide to add more. I think cheaper choices have came out since I was interested in the 350Z (Eagle?).

Crower and Carrillo both have the be machined to fit.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Well, slightly different. (BTW, your browser cache needs to be updated, it's showing my old pic) You need rods at around 450-500+rwhp...might as well buy a decent priced rod that can handle the power you want if you decide to add more. I think cheaper choices have came out since I was interested in the 350Z (Eagle?).

Crower and Carrillo both have the be machined to fit.
"wrt Crower and Carrillo both have the be machined to fit."

Thats true , The trade off is more time on the rods vs more time on the crank.
With Pauters , you spend more time adding weight to the crank vs fitting the rods. I prefered a lighter assembly that is better matched to my power objectives of roughly 650rwhp tops.

My point was that people have seen bent and broken VQ rods over the last 2 years and kinda "freaked to the extreme". Not such a bad thing just overkill IMO.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by G3po
Typically, weight isnt added to the VQ crank, it is removed. Eagle rods are actually about 100 grams lighter than Pauter, so there is some validity for those looking for a lighterweight rod...the Eagle fits the bill. It really is preference. I think both companies make quality rods, but IMHO, cost shouldnt be an issue. When spending $20,000 to make your car faster, I would select the best rod for my application, without regard to the $500 price different between the Eagles and Pauters.

Overkill is a word that doesnt exist in my vocabulary. I thought the twin disc carbon ATS clutch would be overkill....as I orginally had no plans to run more than 550whp. Now I wish I bought the triple!!! Since the clutch is slipping at 600whp+.