Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen SC Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sukhi
I also ordered a stage 2 kit and then the stage 3 pulley afterwards.

My original pulley was black. The red one i received (stage 3) only boosted me to 6psi. Once we put the gold one on it hit 7psi. I know Stillen says that there is a variation among different years of these cars so the gold one might actually be a 6 pound pulley for your car.
I just talked to one the reps at Stillen. He told me the gold pulley is the 7lbs. Once my car is back from paint I'll have to pay closer attention to the gauge to get an exact psi reading. This might explain why it seems to have more power than I expected from a stage 2 pulley.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:44 PM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Finally got the hood and body kit painted. Here are some pics. I will be putting the side skirts and rear valance on tomorrow. Any thoughts on the new style Stillen hood? its growing on me........

Old 10-20-2005, 06:06 PM
LOU

The hood matches the series 1 bumper better than it does the series 2. Good combination. Your Z looks very aggressive!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 PM
350Z4JAG

The hood looks great! Even better with the upgraded bumper. That is really a car you can stand tall with, Great Job!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
sigsauer87

What does a stage 2 stillen run in the quarter mile these days?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:49 AM
vitaminZ

sweet!!!!!!! lookin' good mike!!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
lexus33

Guys what type of power can you expect from this set up.

Also what is the cost of it all???

mlg9770 - You are in Fla right, I may have to come by and see you and hear this thing for myself. You may have a visitor soon if you don't mind!

Thanks so much...I am getting tempted!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:38 AM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Originally Posted by lexus33
Guys what type of power can you expect from this set up.

Also what is the cost of it all???

mlg9770 - You are in Fla right, I may have to come by and see you and hear this thing for myself. You may have a visitor soon if you don't mind!

Thanks so much...I am getting tempted!
Hi
Stillen says around 339 whp(stage 3). I have'nt been to the dyno yet but when I do I'll post the results.

I bought the SC when it was on sale at Avalon Racing. It was right around $5600 with the hood and shipping.

I'm in Sarasota if you want to come by and take it for a spin....don't mind at all.
mike
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
lexus33

Ok a few questions...hope u don't mind. Really appreciate your help on this!

Do you have a link to the Avalon site?
How much do you think the install will run?
Do you think this is a safe set up for a daily driver?
How much tuning and maintanance is involved?
The performance should be the same on an Auto right?
Did you get the warrenty?

Want to do my install?!?!?! HAHA, looks like you did yours with success?

My rents live right near you...I may have to swing by soon. Good luck with Wilma, I am in Miami.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:58 AM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Ok a few questions...hope u don't mind. Really appreciate your help on this!

Do you have a link to the Avalon site?
How much do you think the install will run?
Do you think this is a safe set up for a daily driver?
How much tuning and maintanance is involved?
The performance should be the same on an Auto right?
Did you get the warrenty?

Want to do my install?!?!?! HAHA, looks like you did yours with success?

My rents live right near you...I may have to swing by soon. Good luck with Wilma, I am in Miami.
www.avalonracing.net
I'm not sure what the install will run. Stillen says 10-12 hours.

I bought this set up because it is a good set up for a daily driver. There is no tuning...plug and play. The car idles,runs, and starts just like stock. You would'nt even know its under the hood until you take off.

A transmission valve upgraded is recommended for the auto. I guess it makes it shift faster and harder and keeps you out of the rev limiter.
The stage 3 does'nt have a warranty. If you go with the stage 2 you can get up to a 3 year 36000 mile warranty.

mike
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The warranty only covers the block($3600), nothing else(labor). So either way, you're "F"d. Go with the stage 3 if you're going to do it.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 PM
lexus33

Originally Posted by weslutes
The warranty only covers the block($3600), nothing else(labor). So either way, you're "F"d. Go with the stage 3 if you're going to do it.
Really so if there is any damage to the entire engine or tranny or anything else you are screwed!?!?!?

Hmmm then what is the sense of going with a Supercharger over a Turbo set up. Why do they sell the value of the warranty so much? Now I am more confused, haha. I thought the superchargers were safer and less maintanence. FI is so damn complicated, lol.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:09 AM
taurran

I thought the superchargers were safer and less maintanence. FI is so damn complicated, lol.
Not true. Any form of FI is dangerous if not installed and tuned properly. This holds true for any form, weather it be turbo or supercharger. Also, on the flipside, any form of FI can be entirely safe if installed, tuned, and maintained properly.

Usually the reason why a particular kit is thought to be "safer" than others, is ease of install and less options for the end user to actually toy with. In the case of the stillen, once you drop it on and upgrade the pulley, you're done tweaking the setup... They also don't provide a way for you to tweak the tune in any way. Once you get into tweaking the afr mixture and timing, human error becomse a HUGE part of the reliability for the motor. The ability to customize an FI setup and reliability are directly disproportionate. The more you can play with it, the more likely you are to screw yourself.

In all, if you're really concerned about safety and warranties, I'd say stay away from any form of FI on this car. But, if you still do want to install some type of FI system, go with what meets your power goals and wants. I've seen some people on these forums who have bought supercharger systems only to be disappointed, only to eventually buy a turbo kit. That's a LOT of wasted money, so be sure you know what you're getting into.

By the way Mike - the car looks hot! I'll see you next club meeting.

Last edited by taurran; 10-22-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:06 PM
zrdude

So that's not a functional hood scoop? That's kind of a drag--I thought at least you'd get the benefit of added air flow for cooling with the new hood style. I wonder if it could be easily modified to be a functional scoop?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:26 PM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Originally Posted by zrdude
So that's not a functional hood scoop? That's kind of a drag--I thought at least you'd get the benefit of added air flow for cooling with the new hood style. I wonder if it could be easily modified to be a functional scoop?

It's not a functional scoop. It would be easy to make it so but I decided not to. The hood does have a cowl induction style to it with about 2 inches of height over stock at the windshield which allows air to move more freely.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:02 PM
VRT
Banned

Originally Posted by mlg9770
I just talked to one the reps at Stillen. He told me the gold pulley is the 7lbs. Once my car is back from paint I'll have to pay closer attention to the gauge to get an exact psi reading. This might explain why it seems to have more power than I expected from a stage 2 pulley.
I have an 05' and was told by the Engineer at Stillen that the "Gold" pulley was specifically designed for 05's as the "Stage 3" 7psi pulley. I had a red one that gave me 6. When I ht the Gold one i was getting 6.87psi on my 05 Z. I had it milled a verry small amount and am now getting 7.2. Gold is definately the 05' Stage 3 pulley though.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:33 PM
808_FairladyZ

vitaminZ
Hows it going? That turbo looks Sweet!
Stacey read the instructions and told us what to do(she says its because we cant read lol). Last night we fitted the body kit and hood to get it ready for paint. The hood is getting painted. What you see in the pics is how it came from Stillen though many have thought I was leaving it like that. As soon as I get the body kit and hood painted I will post some pics. I went with the full Stillen body kit and the Blitz wing.

Nexx
This was the first time I'd ever done anything like this. The instructions were very easy to follow. This was one reason why I went with the Stillen..easy install & plug and play.

plumpzz
The hood is getting painted. The gray is the gelcoat finish it came though many people have liked the combination.
This is the first FI car I've driven so in my opinion it pulls like mad.

gatti-man
I'm not a mechanic but I've always worked on my own cars. I like to attempt a repair or mod before paying someone to do it. I figure this way I'll know my car and how things were installed. It definitely can be frustrating but sure feels good when your done. I had two good friends help with the SC install which really helped. If one of us did'nt understand a direction the others would figure it out.

S12 driver

The seventh injector is located just after the throttle body. They supply you with a fitting for the fuel rail to tap in(this is where my fuel leak was. I pinched the o-ring).
The air is intercooled but not how you would think. There is a heat exchanger under the SC that is cooled by antifreeze that the air goes thru. The Stillen cooler on the front of the car is filled with antifreeze and circulated thru the SC via electric pump. Its actually a pretty cool set up.

cnynracer1
The car is a 2005 Performance. I added the Brembos. I talked to Stillen and their SC will only fit the 287 hp model 350z's. I made sure of this because I had ordered the SC for my other car which was totalled.
Make this clear too me please, this Supercharger unit is not compatible with the 300 hp Track Model varients? I was not awaire of that. Congratulations with the SC install.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 AM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Originally Posted by 808_FairladyZ
Make this clear too me please, this Supercharger unit is not compatible with the 300 hp Track Model varients? I was not awaire of that. Congratulations with the SC install.
Correct, Stillen told me their SC was only compatable with the 287hp models. I've since talked to them and they are working on a version for the 300hp Z.

If anyone's planning on getting a Stillen SC allow 6-8 weeks to get it......took me 7 weeks.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:32 PM
vision619

Correct, Stillen told me their SC was only compatable with the 287hp models. I've since talked to them and they are working on a version for the 300hp Z.

If anyone's planning on getting a Stillen SC allow 6-8 weeks to get it......took me 7 weeks.
The current version of the Stillen S/C is NOT compatible with the 300hp (Aniversary addition) 05 Z's.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 PM
g35twinturbo

vision, can u tell me what was done to increase the boost on your stillen sc? Besides just the upgraded pulley? Do you sell this upgrade?

Quick Reply: Stillen SC Installed