Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen SC Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STL Lightning
Couple of things - people have been VERY successful on other vehicles with these eaton roots type blowers getting more HP and lower outlet temps through porting the case. Typical HP increase on a Lightning is 30hp. I don't see why the Stillen setup couldn't benefit from this process.....

So far in the Lightning community, the SNOW kit hasn't shown much success besides letting 91octane guys run some additional timing. I'm interested to see if it has better success on the Z's.

-Mark
That might be interesting.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:59 AM
vision619

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Thanks for the info, great looking engine bay. You will love the TT even more I'm sure, although its sad to see what was the most powerful stillen engine (AFAIK) go. Is the new owner on this board?

I would very much like to get the stage 3 set up, why wouldn't the gold pulley work on an 03?
Actually I sold it to a friend of mine and Mark (my friend / mechanic / engineer) will continue to work on it and improve it and offer the upgrade to the public.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
jmcmorante

just ordered mines stage 3 then going 4 but everyone is flaming me. Grrr Im happy though.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:57 AM
zparts

Originally Posted by jmcmorante
just ordered mines stage 3 then going 4 but everyone is flaming me. Grrr Im happy though.
I helped a friend install the stage 4 kit (ok, I installed the thing), it came with a new computer, Walbro 255 fuel pump, RC injector and pulley and it is BAD ***!!! JUST DO IT!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM
sukhi

Originally Posted by zparts
I helped a friend install the stage 4 kit (ok, I installed the thing), it came with a new computer, Walbro 255 fuel pump, RC injector and pulley and it is BAD ***!!! JUST DO IT!!!
Hey,
Whats the increase over stage 3? Will a Walbro 190lph suffice or is it a must to get the 255?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
DamianZ

that's right, just do it. Nike
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
BlackSpec02

Is there an "official" stage 4 now? Where did you order "stage 4" as a kit?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Is there an "official" stage 4 now? Where did you order "stage 4" as a kit?
i just spoke to kenny at stillen the stage 4 is ready for sale,didnt ask price though.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 AM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

I talked to Stillen yesterday and they qouted me $850.00. They said this kit adds 30-35 whp more than the Stage 3 kit.

Last edited by mlg9770; 01-20-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
BlackSpec02

sweet. I just checked the site and its not up yet but im pretty excited about this stage 4 business!! So its a new tune and fuel system? How much boost? Does the system address the extra heat?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
PalFX

Hello,

I currently have the Stillen Stage 2 installed but I have the option to upgrade to the Stage 4. Before doing so, I would like to know few things:

1) How easy is it to upgrade from Stage 2 to Stage 4?
2) Can it revert back to Stage 2 easily?
3) Is there a new Stillen FMU / Split Second box that will replace the old one?

From what I understand, there is a new smaller pulley and fuel pump but not sure how the tune is applied (is it a new box/computer or the old one gets tuned, etc.). Lastly, is it going to be a fairly safe upgrade.

Thaks and any help is very welcomed.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
PTOWN

I will be buying the stillen in may, my ? is what clutch are you guys using? I would like to get that out of the way. Do you reacamend that I install header and exhaust b4 installing kit?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
BlackSpec02

no headers.... maybe exhaust... def. JWT pop charger.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
g35twinturbo

im actually wondering if i will go the header or high flow cat route. Since still now offers teh ability to tune for headers and or cats...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:20 PM
350z_this

Originally Posted by g35twinturbo
im actually wondering if i will go the header or high flow cat route. Since still now offers teh ability to tune for headers and or cats...
where did you hear that? they tell me that headers actually hurt your hp. what they did with the stage 4 is to compensate the headers with a 9lb pulley rather then an 8 lb pulley.... but it will basically produce the same hp..... headers don't help.... exhaust will though.... i'm getting mine in about a week....
Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
geezin56

Originally Posted by PalFX
Hello,

I currently have the Stillen Stage 2 installed but I have the option to upgrade to the Stage 4. Before doing so, I would like to know few things:

1) How easy is it to upgrade from Stage 2 to Stage 4?
2) Can it revert back to Stage 2 easily?
3) Is there a new Stillen FMU / Split Second box that will replace the old one?

From what I understand, there is a new smaller pulley and fuel pump but not sure how the tune is applied (is it a new box/computer or the old one gets tuned, etc.). Lastly, is it going to be a fairly safe upgrade.

Thaks and any help is very welcomed.
The Stage 4 does come with a new box/computer to control the larger injector. Price to upgrade from Stage 2 is around $800-850 before the install. For those of you considering the Stage 4, thought you might be interested in reading through a post of mine from the 350zmotoring site (see below). Hopefully, the problem is just my kit, but I've not seen anywhere near the level of boost that the Stage 4 is supposed to deliver.

I live in Denver and had a Stillen Stage 2 installed on my 04 Z about a year ago. Among other things the Stage 2 kit includes an intercooler, a 7th injector, and a 6 lbs pulley. I recently (w/i last 2 weeks) upgraded to a Stage 4 kit, which I believe Stillen only released fairly recently. The Stage 4 includes a larger 7th injector (to replace the old one), a new electronic unit to modify timing, and obviously a new pulley, which is supposed to produce around 9 lbs of boost.

The Stage 4 install went fine, but when the car was put on the dyno, it only generated around 6 lbs of boost and the peak HP was down slightly from what it was prior to the install (from 295 to 290)? The shop that did the install is working with Stillen to figure out the issue. The guys at Stillen evidently think that the problem might be that the A/F is running a little rich due to the combination of the larger fuel injector that was installed and the fact that I live at altitude. They are suggesting that we reinstall the original 7th injector (smaller) and electronic unit to see if this helps by cutting back on the fuel. Does this make any sense at all? Specifically, can running too rich result in less boost than what the kit should be generating?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by geezin56
The Stage 4 does come with a new box/computer to control the larger injector. Price to upgrade from Stage 2 is around $800-850 before the install. For those of you considering the Stage 4, thought you might be interested in reading through a post of mine from the 350zmotoring site (see below). Hopefully, the problem is just my kit, but I've not seen anywhere near the level of boost that the Stage 4 is supposed to deliver.

I live in Denver and had a Stillen Stage 2 installed on my 04 Z about a year ago. Among other things the Stage 2 kit includes an intercooler, a 7th injector, and a 6 lbs pulley. I recently (w/i last 2 weeks) upgraded to a Stage 4 kit, which I believe Stillen only released fairly recently. The Stage 4 includes a larger 7th injector (to replace the old one), a new electronic unit to modify timing, and obviously a new pulley, which is supposed to produce around 9 lbs of boost.

The Stage 4 install went fine, but when the car was put on the dyno, it only generated around 6 lbs of boost and the peak HP was down slightly from what it was prior to the install (from 295 to 290)? The shop that did the install is working with Stillen to figure out the issue. The guys at Stillen evidently think that the problem might be that the A/F is running a little rich due to the combination of the larger fuel injector that was installed and the fact that I live at altitude. They are suggesting that we reinstall the original 7th injector (smaller) and electronic unit to see if this helps by cutting back on the fuel. Does this make any sense at all? Specifically, can running too rich result in less boost than what the kit should be generating?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

.........+1....I have seen this same scenario before......not even close to the "Stillen advertised" hp gains.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:03 PM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

Our club(350Z Club Of Florida) had a dyno day today in Tampa. Here are the results with the Stillen Stage 3....only other performance mod is Injen's SES exhaust.

I am only producing 6 psi with the 7 psi pulley and running rich. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so did you have to upgrade the pulley to get the 7psi?

thanks mike

311 whp
291 torq
Old 01-28-2006, 07:06 PM
mlg9770
Sponsor
ZEnclosures

dyno results
Attached Thumbnails Stillen SC Installed-dyno-2.jpg  
Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Silo

What was your stock whp/trp? And can anyone supply a dyno plot including A/F for a stage 2 on a otherwise unmodified car? It would help to determine how far "off" this fuel curve is compared to the intended fueling.

Quick Reply: Stillen SC Installed