Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil Pan Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Meatshackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a spacer and line kit from Dave a few days ago. Received them very fast and in time to be installed with my kit today and tomorrow. They look great and will save a lot of install time since they eliminate any drilling and tapping.

I'll try and get some pics of them installed before my car is lowered from the rack.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by Meatshackle
I bought a spacer and line kit from Dave a few days ago. Received them very fast and in time to be installed with my kit today and tomorrow. They look great and will save a lot of install time since they eliminate any drilling and tapping.

I'll try and get some pics of them installed before my car is lowered from the rack.
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
The Turbonetics returns to this location shown in the picture, which is taken from their current online instructions. We have tested the spacer on a Turbonetics kit we installed and it functions 100% properly and has no flooding of the bearings.

Both Greddy and APS return to these points.

In regards to the Vortech return I disagree 100% that the oil return must be that high. What I will do is contact the technical department at Vortech and get a written response as to what they think. If they will not support the application then I will note this blantantly on all documentation and ads so there is no confusion. The oil systems of the Votechs and the Turbo kits are essentially the same in regards to feed line size and return line size. They run the same pressures on the feed line. But as I said Vortech will be our final answer.
Did you get a chance to contact the tech department of Vortech? I'm almost certain they'll tell you that this spacer can't be used to avoid drilling the upper oil pan.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
New2350

Still No Word For Vortech Or What!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys this issue is controversial. Many reputable people will say yes you can drain in to the spacer many will say above the pan. Do some research and come up with your own conclusion. Ive had my return line going to my oil pan spacer since day 1 no issues...
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Alberto
Guys this issue is controversial. Many reputable people will say yes you can drain in to the spacer many will say above the pan. Do some research and come up with your own conclusion. Ive had my return line going to my oil pan spacer since day 1 no issues...

I believe I read somewhere that the spacers arent good for the vortech and MAY cause blower failure and will void your warrenty with them.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
gersteinp

That's completely incorrect. What's bad for Vortech SCs is tapping into the spacer itself and connecting the oil drain from the blower through it. The drain has to enter the oil pan above the level of the oil because it's a passive system. Any non-tapped oil pan spacer will be fine and will give your blower cooler and fresher oil as well as insurance against oil loss leading to oil starvation.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Mr_pharmD

how am I incorrect? The passive system allows the oil to slowly drain back into the oil pan keep the blower cooled BUT, the non tapped version allows the drain to flow too fast out of the blower causing blower failure in the long run.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 AM
gersteinp

No. When you use an untapped spacer you still tap into the upper oil pan for the blower return. It's exactly the same as without a spacer. The spacer goes underneath the upper oil pan and has no effect on drainage into the upper pan. You want fast drainage to allow the blower bearings to be sprayed without any backup. If there is any backup, it restricts the oil coming into the blower and will lead to rapid meltdown.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this makes no sense to me.

follow me on this example:

take a pitcher half full of water.
then, take a 2 foot length of hose. hold the hose above the pitcher of water (vortech method). now, pour water from a glass into the hose....and letting it drain into the pitcher.

NOw,.........

place the hose into the pitcher so that the bottom of the hose is resting at the bottom of the pitcher(AAM method). Again, pour water from a glass into the hose......and watch the pitcher fill up with water just as fast as using the other method.

Now, seriously, what is Vortech really saying???
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by QuadCam
this makes no sense to me.

follow me on this example:

take a pitcher half full of water.
then, take a 2 foot length of hose. hold the hose above the pitcher of water (vortech method). now, pour water from a glass into the hose....and letting it drain into the pitcher.

NOw,.........

place the hose into the pitcher so that the bottom of the hose is resting at the bottom of the pitcher(AAM method). Again, pour water from a glass into the hose......and watch the pitcher fill up with water just as fast as using the other method.

Now, seriously, what is Vortech really saying???

Not exactly what will happen..It's all about differential pressures at the hose outlet...In your second experiment the pressure at the bottom of the pitcher (hose outlet) will be higher than the hose outlet is in your first experiment which is at atmospheric..The weight/density/height
of the water adds to the atmospheric pressure and results in a greter pressure at the pitchers bottom in experiment 2. This higher pressure must be overcome for the water to enter the pitcher...
Old 07-20-2006, 05:45 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpc350z
Not exactly what will happen..It's all about differential pressures at the hose outlet...In your second experiment the pressure at the bottom of the pitcher (hose outlet) will be higher than the hose outlet is in your first experiment which is at atmospheric..The weight/density/height
of the water adds to the atmospheric pressure and results in a greter pressure at the pitchers bottom in experiment 2. This higher pressure must be overcome for the water to enter the pitcher...
what you are saying is true, but it in reality, it is a negligible effect on the drain out. additionally, the drain location on an oil pan spacer isn't at the bottom of the pan either; weight and pressure of the oil wouldn't be as high as at the bottom of the pan.

If the oil were a thick, sludge-like consistancy, there could be problems; we are talking about a very viscous fluid. granted, it is not as viscous as water,
but still vwery viscous, nonetheless.