Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any VRT customers with the JWT kit???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 PM
illZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OT: UTEC to support anti-lag.

Say goodbye to your exhaust valves.

Otherwise, awesome.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM
vision619

Look , I'm not saying the JWT kit is the Holy Grail of kits. I'm not even saying it's the best. But in my opinion after street and more importantyly track testing it, it produces ungodly amolunts of tourqque when needed. This is what I beliebe gives it the edge. The torque is just untouchable.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:34 PM
illZ

The details of the kit are also untouchable. Who knows what exactly was done to produce torque like that. Too many mysteries.

Time will reveal the true out of box results from behind this shroud of smoke and banter.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by illZ
The details of the kit are also untouchable. Who knows what exactly was done to produce torque like that. Too many mysteries.

Time will reveal the true out of box results from behind this shroud of smoke and banter.
Not too many mysteries , too many skeptical doubters !

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 11-13-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 PM
G352NV

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
I would expect this when there are so many FEW details about a kit. One shop posting wont cure it, unless its JWT direct.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:06 PM
illZ

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD

Really?

hrmm.... well I'm not knocking you at all.. But there are a TON of unanswered questions in just the last few pages of this thread.

There are doubters, because there are too many things to doubt.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 PM
G352NV

I guess here in a few months we'll find out how true this shop and kit is. Until then I need to find out how to get it so I wont get anymore email notifications from this thread!! FUG!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:15 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by G352NV
I would expect this when there are so many FEW details about a kit. One shop posting wont cure it, unless its JWT direct.
Since Jim (at JWT) is smart enough to not get caught up on, and stays off these message boards, your choice for sources is kinda limited. Us and Sport Z magazines postings and articles are all there is, for now.

We at VRT do not make or design this (great) TT kit, therefore we have no reason to not state the true facts and findings about it. (the ones we are allowed to discuss)

If this wasn't the most well rounded kit (for our goals) available, than we would be using someone else's!!

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 11-13-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by G352NV
..........................so I wont get anymore email notifications from this thread!! FUG!
Ahahahah! LOL! I know, HU!

BTW, Like I told you before G352NV, VERY nice car!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Having the opportunity to work with companies that produce products for the aftermarket (such as companies that produce turbo kits), I have a unique perspective being able to talk to them regarding their products while writing articles. As you know, some companies decide to be on websites like this one to discuss their products while other refrain from doing so. To represent a company on websites is a time consuming endeavor, especially when an inaccurate statement can take a life of its own in less than an hour. A person can make a totally inaccurate statement here and effect the reputation and sales of a campany for years. Watch what you say because other consumers read it and even though you might have only a limited amount of experience with cars, your opinion might effect others (who assume you know a lot more than you might know) and those that make a living producing and selling products. I applaud those manufactures and installers/sellers that take the time to answer questions about their products without attacking others products and services.

These forums can be a place that shares accurate information and at the same time, a place disinformation and rumors abound. In addition, discussions can lead to personal attacks and sometimes groups of people align themselves with vendors or manufactures. Yes, it gets ugly here sometimes. Like others, I have experienced people stating what I felt was inaccurate information about me or the magazine I write/edit for so I am sure people that produce aftermarket products or sell and install them have also experienced the same thing.

There is a big difference between asking valid questions and providing thought provoking discussions about products vs. being someone that is merely the “big man behind the keyboard” trying to create drama and engage anyone in arguments. I am not trying to point to anyone on both regards, just trying to direct everyone to appreciate the wonderful selection we have of products instead of making a villain of everyone that produces a product or tunes a car except for the one you happen to prefer. In other words, I suggest we try to treat everyone and their opinion with a little more respect. Try pm’ing someone before bashing him or her. Just because YOU would not buy a product because it does not fit your needs does not necessarily make it a bad product.

Before, during, and after the testing the turbo kits, I spoke to Jim Wolf on many occasions. To set the record straight (from the numerous conversations I personally had with him), Jim in no way ever stated or came across to me as his kit was so vastly superior to all the other kits that it set it in a league of its own. I found him to be a really humble guy like many of the other manufactures I have met which is amazing considering how much all of them know and comparatively some of you appear to come off as Gods gift to engineering/automotives. Like many other of the manufactures of the kits tested, Jim had nothing but positive things to say about the other products. There is no one that has a greater vested interest in how these kits sell than the companies that produce them yet when I have been with the manufactures of these kits during testing etc, they seem to be able to treat each other with more respect than members on this forum that are posting on threads with relatively a lot less to lose.

I would suggest you look at the pros and cons of each kit and for some, stop simplifying the issue by saying one kit is the best. Each of these kits has strengths and as I stated before, it is you as a consumer to find which kit matches your personal goals.

I would also like to thank the folks at Turbonetics, SFR, JWT, and GReddy for attending the testing of their products by Sport Z Magazine. All of you were great to work with, extremely helpful, and I wish that all of the people on these forums could meet all of you to see what a great group of guys you all are.

Last edited by zland; 11-13-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Very well said Jeff.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
nissansource

Perfect Zland
Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 AM
theking

Yeah I guess my motor won't last for 100k miles like I planned. I wonder if the VK valves will hold up better. Thanks for your comments, Zland. That is a great perspective to have and thanks again for doing the "shootout". Your help and viewpoint is much appreciated on this board.
Originally Posted by illZ
OT: UTEC to support anti-lag.

Say goodbye to your exhaust valves.

Otherwise, awesome.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 AM
vision619

Beautifully said Zland.

And Bulletproof, your right. These cars are only as good as the products added. No better, no worse.

Last edited by vision619; 11-14-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 AM
FearladyZ

For some reason I got booted off of the boards so I havent been able to post the link. Mike, I might venture out to a track day with you soon but I need a few other upgrades otherwise it will be no fun.I mean stock brakes will be junk after two hot laps.I need to get my own rims and tires,etc........

TurboTim
tim@speedforceracing.com
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by theking
Yeah I guess my motor won't last for 100k miles like I planned. I wonder if the VK valves will hold up better. Thanks for your comments, Zland. That is a great perspective to have and thanks again for doing the "shootout". Your help and viewpoint is much appreciated on this board.
Thanks for the positive comments. Everyone here has a purpose and place for being here. Manufactures give exact info regarding their products, sellers/installers as well. We at Sport Z Magazine can hopefully give a non-biased and informative perspective on products and so some testing that an individual Z/G owner might not have the time, money, or resources to do is available to them. For example, our up coming Plenum and plenum spacer article dyno's each product on the same dyno shop/same day giving readers an apple to apple comparision. This controlled testing should make the task of selecting a product to buy much easier.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
MIAPLAYA

I will say one last thing and then I'm out of this already too long thread. And I hope everyone takes this with a grain of salt. As soon as you alter the JWT kit from the way it comes out of box you have negated the CARB cert. This should be obvious to all but I am stating this for two reasons. One VRT you have stated that you create street legal super cars. This is no longer the case once you alter even one setting on this kit. If you send someone a CARB sticker later when the kit is released you can pretty much stick it in the garbage when you get it unless the car is running the JWT kit out of box with ZERO changes. Two I know where the business is going in the future for VRT and that is selling cars from Mossy El Cajon with JWT kits installed. This goes with number 1, if you install a kit and alter the tune WHATSOEVER and the car leaves the lot like that whether its new or just being worked on there you are subject to some pretty serious fines from the BAR. Everyone should be made aware of this now. This is not a knock on anyone and for all purposes applaud Jim Wolf for getting his kit CARB cert. But everyone should be aware of the consequences of altering the kit. Once you do, that CARB cert is gone. I'm out.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
nissansource

I hardly see them boosting up past stock system if they are indeed going that route with mossy el cajon, let the new owners do that
Old 11-14-2005, 10:14 AM
kjbalto

How would anybody know if you made changes? If they inspect your car and see a JWT kit installed wouldn't they let it pass? If what you're saying is true Mia, then why is everybody excited about APS going for CARB? If APS releases what they call a tuner kit, then you have to make changes anyway. So what would be the point of doing a tuner kit that's CARB EO if it won't pass after you make changes? I would say that if the kit you have initially is CARB friendly, than you will be okay after making changes that are probably not visible anyway. On the other hand, the Turbonetics kits is an automatic failure once they pop the hood. I'm in NY so this doesn't apply to me anyway. Please don't take what I say as bashing Turbonetics. I know you get in the defensive mode very easily. I think the Turbonetics kit is awesome. I was also told by the guys installing the JWT kits already that the kit is good for 400-450hp before having to make changes to it for more power.

Last edited by kjbalto; 11-14-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:16 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I will say one last thing and then I'm out of this already too long thread. And I hope everyone takes this with a grain of salt. As soon as you alter the JWT kit from the way it comes out of box you have negated the CARB cert. This should be obvious to all but I am stating this for two reasons. One VRT you have stated that you create street legal super cars. This is no longer the case once you alter even one setting on this kit. If you send someone a CARB sticker later when the kit is released you can pretty much stick it in the garbage when you get it unless the car is running the JWT kit out of box with ZERO changes. Two I know where the business is going in the future for VRT and that is selling cars from Mossy El Cajon with JWT kits installed. This goes with number 1, if you install a kit and alter the tune WHATSOEVER and the car leaves the lot like that whether its new or just being worked on there you are subject to some pretty serious fines from the BAR. Everyone should be made aware of this now. This is not a knock on anyone and for all purposes applaud Jim Wolf for getting his kit CARB cert. But everyone should be aware of the consequences of altering the kit. Once you do, that CARB cert is gone. I'm out.
Yep, CARB approvval means it is installed just as it passed CARB when the kit was tested so keep that in mind. What a manufacture of a kit might design and release might be different than an installer sets it up. Heck Niisan released their 350Z CARB approved but that does not mean they are liable if an owner changes it from the way they sold it. I suggst you know where you are going when you install a turbo/SC kit. It is expensive in labor alone to change it back.

Quick Reply: Any VRT customers with the JWT kit???