Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motor is officially BLOWN! Yes it was Forged

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Motor is officially BLOWN! Yes it was Forged

Dropped the car off this morning for the leakdown test and the motor is officially BLOWN! Cylinder #1 had 22% leakdown and Cylinder #3 had 11%. We stopped there. I am making arrangements to ship the car to SGP to have it rebuilt and then the car will be sold!

I think the ringlands might have gone. Whatever it is I will have SGP fix it and get the car running like new again before it is sold. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to build a G. You could even pay for any extras you may want, like sleeves for example. I will be paying for the motor to come out anyway so you can take advantage of that and not have to pay those labor charges.

Anyone interested please email me at jguzman@carnival.com. $43K OBO.

Last edited by Gman2004; 11-01-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Aquineas

Wow, this is tragic. I hope you don't have to foot the full engine rebuild cost. Good luck on getting it fixed and sold.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM
g8tor20

Sorry to hear this Jorge. It was a beautiful car. I was lucky enough to see it when it was at CP Race back in August.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
GMADD

That REALLY SUCKS !!!

Sorry to hear that man, you had a really nice car.

Best of luck !

Tasso-
Old 11-01-2005, 09:49 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many people are running 550whp or so on a built block with no issues? Seems like there's some sort of coolant or oil problem above 500whp right? like the water pump or oil pump aren't strong enough to keep the engine cool with that much power? Think I read that somewhere as being a theory

sorry to hear about the bad news I'm going to keep my vortech under 400whp on my stock block
Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by sentry65
how many people are running 550whp or so on a built block with no issues? Seems like there's some sort of coolant or oil problem above 500whp right? like the water pump or oil pump aren't strong enough to keep the engine cool with that much power? Think I read that somewhere as being a theory

sorry to hear about the bad news I'm going to keep my vortech under 400whp on my stock block
How is Sharif running 600+ then?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
How is Sharif running 600+ then?
I dunno, just relaying what I've read

sharif uses race gas for that power level doesn't he? Also does he run it at 600+whp all the time or drive the car around all the time? I mean, I don't know. He could answer that better than me
Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 AM
MIAPLAYA

I dunno, just relaying what I've read

sharif uses race gas for that power level doesn't he? Also does he run it at 600+whp all the time or drive the car around all the time? I mean, I don't know. He could answer that better than me
Well I know he runs at AT LEAST 500 RWHP all day on pump gas...
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

These leakdown numbers do not mean your motor is blown.If you are getting your leakage through the oil filler then it is a problem with the rings or pistons, for sure.........but if it is coming from the intake ports out of the intake manifold or out of the exhaust ports then it is a problem with a valve.If it is coming up from the crankcase breathers on the valve cover then it is a valve seal or guide problem.Just some info for you.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:13 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think most people would agree that going FI or any major mod will most likely reduce engine life. The question is how much? Speed = money, are you willing to step up and play with the big boys? if I remember correctly, the benchmark for Nissan engineers was to make the Z motor go 200k but I could be wrong on that fact.

It would be an interesting thread to survey people to see what they would accept out of the life of their motor if it was FI (10K?, 30K?, 50K, 100K?). Time will tell what percentage of FI cars will safely hit 100K. Hey, sounds like an interesting mag article for the first guy that hits the benchmark????

The rate of blown motors that are FI seems to be gong down percentage wise. At least we are beginning to find some somewhat safe limits.

Last edited by zland; 11-01-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

We modify the factory oil pumps to allow for more pressure on the motors we build.We have the cranks cross-drilled and allen plugged for better oiling to the bearings which helps out quite a bit
Old 11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well I know he runs at AT LEAST 500 RWHP all day on pump gas...
I got the joy of taking a ride in Sharif's beast on sunday and he said that it was still probably pushing around 580-600 rwhp on pump gas. After that quick spin around the block I wouldn't doubt it
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We modify the factory oil pumps to allow for more pressure on the motors we build.We have the cranks cross-drilled and allen plugged for better oiling to the bearings which helps out quite a bit
can any machine shop do this? how much would one charge for this.. i think this is a great idea.. since my problem was a rod end bearing from oil.... can you reccomend any other precaution with being over the 500hp mark? like larger radiator? ect...

thanks tim.. i should be contacting you in a month or two for a 3" exhaust btw do you guys have 3" test pipes?

ps... sorry gmann.. hopefully its not as bad as you think.. if i were you i would keep the car forever since youve put so much into it and have it be your project for life... thats what im gonna do... hopefully its just a valve.. i dont think you have that much damage going on
Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

ps... how much would you charge for a modified oil pump?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by zland
I think most people would agree that going FI or any major mod will most likely reduce engine life. The question is how much? Speed = money, are you willing to step up and play with the big boys? if I remember correctly, the benchmark for Nissan engineers was to make the Z motor go 200k but I could be wrong on that fact.

It would be an interesting thread to survey people to see what they would accept out of the life of their motor if it was FI (10K?, 30K?, 50K, 100K?). Time will tell what percentage of FI cars will safely hit 100K. Hey, sounds like an interesting mag article for the first guy that hits the benchmark????

The rate of blown motors that are FI seems to be gong down percentage wise. At least we are beginning to find some somewhat safe limits.

How much of a decreace in life span is it??
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
cessna

GMan2004,

How much mileage did you VQ have before FI?
How much mileage did you put on it before she died???
Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any machine shop building motors for the Z also "mods" the oil pump as well - it typically involves shimming the pump so there is more pressure supplied. Does not increase volume, but it works very well on motors such as this.

The quick down and dirty way to tell where the loss of compression of is to dump a bit of tranny fluid into the spark plug hole and crank the motor with the compression tester hooked up. If compression shoots up, its the rings, if it stays the same, it's in the head.

My own theory - its not a cooling issue at all - but rather, a tuning issue. If it is a problem with cracked ring lands, 9 times out of 10 it is due to tuning (especially with regards to timing)
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I would agree that it would be tuning not the motor or parts, I think you have the emanage still right jorge? it would be interesting if you could post up the fuel and timing maps.

As for longevity I wouldn't expect low life look at the 300ZX TT, they go into the 100K+ range easily, usually the turbos give out, if it is tuned properly a forged motor like this should not have a short life span at all.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by cessna
GMan2004,

How much mileage did you VQ have before FI?
How much mileage did you put on it before she died???
The block had 18K mile before SGP built it up.....5K on the built block.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by westpak
I would agree that it would be tuning not the motor or parts, I think you have the emanage still right jorge? it would be interesting if you could post up the fuel and timing maps.
Still have EU. For some reason I can't get my lap top to communicate with the EU.

Quick Reply: Motor is officially BLOWN! Yes it was Forged