Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Recomendation on Cryo Treating Internals

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Recomendation on Cryo Treating Internals

OK, I know there have been a number of threads on the benefits of Cryo treating engine parts. What I have not seen is a recommendation on which parts would MOST benefit from this process. I see some shops will do the entire block and all of the internal parts. I think that might be a bit overboard.

Any recommendations on which parts take the most beating and could really use this treatment?

Also, anyone got a shop they would recommend? I have seen 2 shops listed on these boards but no recommendations on anyone in particular.

Thanks a lot.

FYI, my goal is around 650 rwhp so the engine does need to be pretty tough.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
OK, I know there have been a number of threads on the benefits of Cryo treating engine parts. What I have not seen is a recommendation on which parts would MOST benefit from this process. I see some shops will do the entire block and all of the internal parts. I think that might be a bit overboard.

Any recommendations on which parts take the most beating and could really use this treatment?

Also, anyone got a shop they would recommend? I have seen 2 shops listed on these boards but no recommendations on anyone in particular.

Thanks a lot.

FYI, my goal is around 650 rwhp so the engine does need to be pretty tough.
I would assume that your goal would be obtained using a built motor. If so the only thing I'd recommend to get cryo treated would be your heads, valves, valve train and cams. Hell you can even throw the timing chain in there since it'll be off, wouldn't hurt.

Honestly though, what are looking to get out of the cryo treatment? The process has MANY benefits where some components may be better served than others that's why I'm asking.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I forgot to mention I am rebuilding the entire engine...

My thought on the cryo treatment is to get more longevity and resilience from the engine... IE, try to make it as strong as possible to withstand triple the originally designed HP and the large amounts of boost I expect to be running. I know nothing is bulletproof, but I would rather do some treating upfront with it in pieces first, then have to pick it up off the track/street and repair it.

So I am interested in knowing which pieces would get the most benefit in terms of long life from this process.

Thanks for the information.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:06 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha...Makes sense to me.
You'll definetly get some longevity out of your parts by cryo treating them. The treatment not only adds strength but also changes the molecular structure to better deal with heat and friction.

So on that note I'd consider the heads, valve train and cams as mentioned earlier. If you were to have your block done as well both it and the heads would roughly have the same rate of expansion and contraction. That'll help to provide a better seal between the two as opposed to stressing it due to one component contracting and expanding at a different rate than the other. On that note as well, cryo'd parts don't expand nealry as much as non treated parts so you'll hold tighter clearances. That's where they say the increase in power comes from when an engine is cryo'd.

I'd also consider the crankshaft, all bearings and pistons be treated for the same reason listed above. But, the other benefit of this is that the treatment also polishes and hardens due to the molecular change. Not just the surface either, like nitriding would accomplish. Obviously this is good for reducing the friction between journals & bearings and cylinder walls & piston skirts, and, there's said to be a bit of HP gain because of this as well. This is sort of why I threw the cam in there as well.

Honestly, it's cheap insurance and it does work. We use it a lot at the job for turbine engine parts. Mainly high stress components like fan and turbine blade hubs that are subject to all kinds of stress. Haven't seen one let go yet even after ingesting a metal "Beware Of Suction" sign .

BTW, get your brake rotors done too since you'll be down for the rebuild..

Last edited by atlsupdawg#2; 12-01-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:43 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't seen one let go yet even after ingesting a metal "Beware Of Suction" sign

sorry to highjack, but this made me laugh. kind of a "do as i say not as i do" type of thing, hahaha.