Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Are You For Or Against Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005 | 07:42 PM
imseksy

Default Are You For Or Against Boost?

ive met two different kinds of people over the last week. some that are pro boost and some that are pure NA motor. what are you?
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:45 PM
MagicPie

How can you hate boost your taking normally wasted power from the exhaust and putting it back into your engine with a turbo. Plus now a really well design turbo has very little or none turbo lag
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:47 PM
ZON

I'll trade my N/A for boost if I could pay. My N/A is great but can't be like well done and tuned TT kit. Last night I was out and happend by a Z06. I was like, "oh man I want to run with this guy". I knew he was wanting me to try too, but no thanks.
Old 12-04-2005 | 08:55 PM
Johnny225

I would definitely not want forced induction. From a track standpoint, cooling and reliability are a pain. With turbochargers, it prevents you from coming linearly on throttle out of a corner, and thus makes the car much more unpredictable, upsetting the balance. For the street, I guess some people may find it fun to have.
Old 12-04-2005 | 09:00 PM
ZlleH

One of the fastest if not the fastest car at the local auto-x is a turbo Miata. It's fantastic to see the car go through a slalom part of the course, each slalom cone he went by, you can hear the blow off valve.

Anyhoo, as for me, I would love to eventually get FI, as for now, I will enjoy NA for a bit.

Originally Posted by Johnny225
I would definitely not want forced induction. From a track standpoint, cooling and reliability are a pain. With turbochargers, it prevents you from coming linearly on throttle out of a corner, and thus makes the car much more unpredictable, upsetting the balance. For the street, I guess some people may find it fun to have.
Old 12-04-2005 | 09:08 PM
bamyi

I agree with Johnny, tt is nice but if a NA is set up properly it can out perform a tt on a track. I autoX my Z and I can't see how TT would help. I know of many ppl who track their car and they prefer the NA path.
Old 12-04-2005 | 09:46 PM
Blue Komodo

If all you want to do is pump people on the highway, then get boost. the Z doesn't handle like a Miata, boost will only high light this. It won't get you around a road course any faster, it will probably actually make you slower. My Z will stay boost free. If I just wanted to pump people in a straight line, I would have bought a different car.
Old 12-04-2005 | 10:24 PM
JORGEOLIVEIRA
Builder/Framer
Premier Member

Boost All The Way Baby...and I Love It
Old 12-04-2005 | 11:28 PM
hitop

I think boost is great, thought about it but I want longevity from my Z and maximum reliability, so N/A it will stay. 287 ponies + popcharger = plenty power for me.
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:25 PM
TheBingo15

I love the raw pin you to your seat performance of boosted cars, but I would rather have a fine tuned hi-reving (8k+) sports car tearing up the twisties =)
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:30 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout
Premier Member

BOOST
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:38 PM
JPsZ

I love N/A, the responsiveness is so awesome. I had a built 2.0 civic pushing est. over 210whp N/A and weighed bout 1900 lbs. The thing was quick... Hondas have many routes to choose from, as for the Z, I haven't seen many options in the N/A dept. Till then boost is the only way to get the power we all crave for...
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:41 PM
nissansource

TN runs like NA but theres boost also
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:46 PM
MagicPie

Originally Posted by Johnny225
You make a good point but unless your talking about some serious boosting, A turbo will allow you to keep a linear throttle around corners as your RPM should be in the range in which the turbo is full spooled and making full or close to full boost. therefore feeling much like a N/A car. Of course I really cant argue about the cooling problems all turbos cars lose power as there intercoolers become heat soak but there ways to help reduce that problem

Also most of the Prototype and GT cars in LeMans are turboed. Its a easy way to make alot of power. and if done properly have little to no disadvantages
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:46 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

ix nay on the oost bay.
j/k, NA for me. but i respect both.
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:49 PM
Si_2_350Z

Originally Posted by hitop
I think boost is great, thought about it but I want longevity from my Z and maximum reliability, so N/A it will stay. 287 ponies + popcharger = plenty power for me.

+1 same here
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:50 PM
twinship

I traded in my '91 300ZX twin turbo for my 350Z.

The TT was a great car in many ways. After the turbo lag, it took off like a rocket. Great feeling!

But the lag was real. And as someone mentioned, it makes for unpredictable handling in the twisties. (On the straights, it's not a prob... just press the pedal, sit back, and wait for the afterburners to kick in. Wheeeeeeeee!)

The other downside is cost. There's the upfront cost: turbos cost more. And like fan belts and alternators, turbos are consumables... they wear out and must be replaced.

Bottom line: I'm happy with the NA Z. Power is adequate. Reliability should be excellent. And cost of ownership should be reasonable.

OTOH, I completely understand others' "need for speed."
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:50 PM
bobS

Booost
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:51 PM
EdgeOfSanity

i go either way with it, depends on the car. For the z im all for it, n/a power is nearly pointless on this car.
Old 12-05-2005 | 01:53 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by ZlleH
One of the fastest if not the fastest car at the local auto-x is a turbo Miata. It's fantastic to see the car go through a slalom part of the course, each slalom cone he went by, you can hear the blow off valve.

Anyhoo, as for me, I would love to eventually get FI, as for now, I will enjoy NA for a bit.

I agree Young, the sound of that white miata sends shivers down my spine at every corner!!!
Dont tell Fritz this, as it might hurt his feelings!!!lol!!!

Note: Fritz if your reading this..... Yeah, that miata sucks, your Z is better!!!

Quick Reply: Are You For Or Against Boost?