Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Stage 1.5...for those that wanted a piggyback and bigger injectors..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DXB350Z
man...stage 1.5 seems to be the one for me...unichip(dealer is available localy)...fuel return for safe operatoins...and 630 injectors...a bit of overkill for my power goals..but what the heck..more is bettr than short...
MIA..what modifications would you reccomend that i wouldnt have to loose once i go FI...what diameter exhaust and so? and how does the motordyne+ get along with TN?

thanks for the info btw...

and taurran...goodluck with your build
From what I understand about stage 1.5 its not gonna gain you more power necessarily...its an EMS, larger injectors, and fuel system. I'm already there + spacer.
Stage 2 is supposed to be the real power upgrade = big azz Turbo, WG/BOV upgrades, water/meth injection.

I dont mind building the motor either, may do that in the fall/winter anyhow but Im just not sure I want to run huge boost and I know I don't want to be among the first!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
From what I understand about stage 1.5 its not gonna gain you more power necessarily...its an EMS, larger injectors, and fuel system. I'm already there + spacer.
Stage 2 is supposed to be the real power upgrade = big azz Turbo, WG/BOV upgrades, water/meth injection.

I dont mind building the motor either, may do that in the fall/winter anyhow but Im just not sure I want to run huge boost and I know I don't want to be among the first!
Well essentially yes Stage 1.5 will increase power as far as the user in comfortable in going. Stage 1 would only get you to low 400s where as Stage 1.5 will take you as far as the stock motor will go..
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
DXB350Z

yeah..i hear you...

anyways..my power goals arent much...400whp and trq will do..
but the idea of buying a kit thats disgned to work together appeals to me more than picking and matching..

Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
DXB350Z

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well essentially yes Stage 1.5 will increase power as far as the user in comfortable in going. Stage 1 would only get you to low 400s where as Stage 1.5 will take you as far as the stock motor will go..
MIA..is it possible to buy a lower boost actuater spring for the 1.5? 6-7psi?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:38 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
My experience did not result in any significant power gains than I had before.
Maybe my exhaust is too restrictive or my motor is wimpy, I dunno but there were not big gains to be had with my car.

anyways..my power goals arent much...400whp and trq will do..
but the idea of buying a kit thats disgned to work together appeals to me more than picking and matching..
As far as buying a kit, the only real benefit is $ savings if there are any. That's not to say its not a good upgrade path for anyone with the TN kit. I am sure it will be a good value.
Also, yes you can order a 5psi WG spring from any TN dealer. I did.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
DXB350Z

^^ what hp are you at and wat are your mods..
sorry to hijack the thread..lol
Old 04-17-2006, 04:18 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I am below 400whp!

I have not had the car on a dynoJet yet but I was somewhere around 365-375 originally (at 10psi+). I am somewhere right around there now too (at 9psi) but we had to stop because the car was getting overly hot. I have to go back for some tweaks (primarily the boost ramp rate) and I will have the timing advance checked to see if we can squeeze anything more out of it. I dunno how people get these 400-450hp numbers though.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

I am below 400whp!

I have not had the car on a dynoJet yet but I was somewhere around 365-375 originally (at 10psi+). I am somewhere right around there now too (at 9psi) but we had to stop because the car was getting overly hot. I have to go back for some tweaks (primarily the boost ramp rate) and I will have the timing advance checked to see if we can squeeze anything more out of it. I dunno how people get these 400-450hp numbers though.
Dave a Dynojet is the key to these numbers. IIRC you are working with a Mustang dyno. Thats a good dyno for tuning but I highly recommend hitting up a a Dynojet to get some "industry standard" numbers. I think you'll be pleasently surprised.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:26 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Yeah, the numbers are discouraging but I don;t get too caught up in that. I am sure a DynoJet will return much better numbers. However, the fact that the numbers did not change much does say that there was not much to be gained in my tune over the flash AND that I am limited by something else (not fuel related). Whether that is the Turbo, the engine, or the exhaust I do not yet know. That is why I say that stage 1.5 is not necessarily a power upgrade like the stage 2. Of course, a good fuel return and EMS are great investments regardless of which direction you end up going (as long as it is UP).
Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yeah, the numbers are discouraging but I don;t get too caught up in that. I am sure a DynoJet will return much better numbers. However, the fact that the numbers did not change much does say that there was not much to be gained in my tune over the flash AND that I am limited by something else (not fuel related). Whether that is the Turbo, the engine, or the exhaust I do not yet know. That is why I say that stage 1.5 is not necessarily a power upgrade like the stage 2. Of course, a good fuel return and EMS are great investments regardless of which direction you end up going (as long as it is UP).
Did you not gain ANYWHERE in the power band. Its not uncommon to see gains all over the power band but still have the same peak numbers.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Well its totally different! The power keeps rising to redline now whereas before it was dropping off. I dont know if that is due to the spacer or what?
But the boost ramp is hurting me. Its way too conservative. When I get that fixed I expect to get more area under the curve, especially down low.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well its totally different! The power keeps rising to redline now whereas before it was dropping off. I dont know if that is due to the spacer or what?
But the boost ramp is hurting me. Its way too conservative. When I get that fixed I expect to get more area under the curve, especially down low.
There you go...you did gain power...just not peak...Lets see how changing the boost ramp up does for you...
Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

LOL, actually I believe I have gained a slight amount of peak power but lost important area under the curve due to the boost ramp rate. I am hoping to get that back by adjusting the ramp rate. But gains are minimal. The tune is much more balanced now though.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

LOL, actually I believe I have gained a slight amount of peak power but lost important area under the curve due to the boost ramp rate. I am hoping to get that back by adjusting the ramp rate. But gains are minimal. The tune is much more balanced now though.
Whats peak boost pressure?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Holy Hijack!

It is set for 9psi and is dead on. The issue is how the BCS is controlled. The rate at which it is allowing boost to build is too linear. The ramp rate allows you to control that boost curve. In theory it should be able to blast it up with a slight bump and then flatten out to the desired boost.
So I do not have that slam you back in the seat spool up anymore (for now). Thats good for traction but I miss the feeling We just need to tweak the value.
Unfortunatley I did not grab a dyno sheet. The graph is worth a thousand words!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Holy Hijack!

It is set for 9psi and is dead on. The issue is how the BCS is controlled. The rate at which it is allowing boost to build is too linear. The ramp rate allows you to control that boost curve. In theory it should be able to blast it up with a slight bump and then flatten out to the desired boost.
So I do not have that slam you back in the seat spool up anymore (for now). Thats good for traction but I miss the feeling We just need to tweak the value.
Unfortunatley I did not grab a dyno sheet. The graph is worth a thousand words!
Yes sir it is [/un-hijack]
Old 04-18-2006, 06:14 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

So MIA , any info on what is going to be different with the REV-UP... AND will i be able to raise my rev limit with the uichip-q
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MI 35th
So MIA , any info on what is going to be different with the REV-UP... AND will i be able to raise my rev limit with the uichip-q
Yes it will raise the revlimiter. The main changes will be that the Revup kit is not going to use a reflash and the last charg pipe to the MAF will be a little different.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

To my understanding the 35th anniv, and posibly the 06 has a stock oil cooler where i would think the IC should be hung... Has TN looked at this, to see if it were in the way.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MI 35th
To my understanding the 35th anniv, and posibly the 06 has a stock oil cooler where i would think the IC should be hung... Has TN looked at this, to see if it were in the way.
All Zs have a stock oil cooler. Are you saying they created a heat exchanger in the front on the 06? If so it will be addressed in that model of the kit...

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Stage 1.5...for those that wanted a piggyback and bigger injectors..