Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Jim Wolf Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
What I like about the JWT kit is what VRT keeps alluding to... the first rule of efficient FI is using turbos that are just big enough for your goals, but not bigger. Many other twin turbo kits use bigger turbos, and have the ability (overhead) to run 800 hp...

But unless you really want to eventually get 800 hp, there is no use. You'll just be carting around bigger turbos with overhead that you don't need. That bigger turbo will spin up slower and cause lag. The power will shift to the upper ends of the RPM band, with more lag down below. The power comes on so fast, it's difficult to manage.

Truth is, 800+ hp is mostly going to go to waste in a G35/350z without massive, super sticky tires and AWD.

I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile monster... wrong car, for one thing. I want a very streetable and trackable setup with even delivery of power (therefore predictable and manageable).

Sure, there are all kinds of street cars with 800+ hp... but you won't see them making good time around a track. For instance, Hennessey Motorsports got a lot of attention when they brought out their 1000+ hp TT Viper... but any time they were part of a comparo in C&D or Motor Trend, or One Lap of America, they weren't taking that package to the tracks. They were using lesser HP cars with nice torque curves. Wonder why?

VRT - what's your experience as to the weaknesses/limits of the drivetrain? Especially the rear end and 6MT tranny? Aftermarket solutions? Torque tends to make things "snap".

We, surprisingly, have found the only week spot in the entire stock drivetrain is the factory clutch, and only on FI cars. The 6MT tranny and axle shafts seem to hold up real well for our purposes, and have had no problems to date.

Scott at VRT
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
xziteme

VRT- Since you guys track your cars alot, do you guys have any problems with oil temps and/or taken any steps to reduce the oil temps?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Stillen oil cooler.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 PM
xziteme

Few questions about the Stillen oil cooler w/ the JWT TT...

1) I know it doesn't have a thermostat. Is it installed to work w/ the stock oil cooler?
2) Where is a good location to install it? Front of left wheel well?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
We, surprisingly, have found the only week spot in the entire stock drivetrain is the factory clutch, and only on FI cars. The 6MT tranny and axle shafts seem to hold up real well for our purposes, and have had no problems to date.

Scott at VRT
But if you ever drag race with DRs or Slicks (above 500rwhp) the OEM half shafts can snap, seen it happen at Infineon Wed night drags. Otherwise OEMs are fine. Upgraded half shafts can be gotten from the Driveshaft shop (thru ForgedInternals.com).
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by xziteme
Few questions about the Stillen oil cooler w/ the JWT TT...

1) I know it doesn't have a thermostat. Is it installed to work w/ the stock oil cooler?
2) Where is a good location to install it? Front of left wheel well?

1) yes
2) yes, or on the upper side in front of the radiator.

Scott at VRT
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by G3po
But if you ever drag race with DRs or Slicks (above 500rwhp) the OEM half shafts can snap, seen it happen at Infineon Wed night drags. Otherwise OEMs are fine. Upgraded half shafts can be gotten from the Driveshaft shop (thru ForgedInternals.com).
I agree. In most cases the stock half shafts are fine, but for any heavy load launching with boost, I do, and have recommended that you upgrade to these stronger ones. Most people know this, but good point anyway, thanks.

Scott at VRT
http://www.violentracing.com/
Old 12-30-2005, 06:16 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I agree. In most cases the stock half shafts are fine, but for any heavy load launching with boost, I do, and have recommended that you upgrade to these stronger ones. Most people know this, but good point anyway, thanks.

Scott at VRT
http://www.violentracing.com/

We will be putting mine to the test in the near future... I am going to let Alberto the 1/4 mile GOD ****** some low azz 11's for me.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
We will be putting mine to the test in the near future... I am going to let Alberto the 1/4 mile GOD ****** some low azz 11's for me.

Sounds good John, let me know how it turns out.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
350Z4JAG

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Get some Video of that Torque beast of yours running the 1/4. I for one would like to see that thing launch with boost! Are you going to get some drag radials to try this with or regular street tires??
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

He said he has some DR's. I have to set up the logistics of how we are going to do this and everything. He is up north soemwhere. I need to get in contact with him.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I will see if he has a video camera. I don't have one hahaha
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
vision619

Originally Posted by mraturbo
You go Mike - vision619.

Want to square off at Willow and Laguna Seca...

M
Let's do it! I'm not racing your built G though. You better get in a non-built car like mine
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 PM
vision619

1) yes
2) yes, or on the upper side in front of the radiator.

Scott at VRT
My stock oil cooler was removed because of some sort of interference with the Stillen Cooler. ?? I'll try and find out why. I know it's not NESSISARY, but just done to improve performance.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Dude,

Your car is lighter, has better suspension, and a locked rear end. Learn to drive that man and it will be a great match up regardless. Just think about my Z at low boost passing DB's Black G at Willow Springs on turn nine. Both on slicks. Pucker up....

No excuses.

JY, still wish you were here man. I need your motor.....

M
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
AmyCroft

Unhappy Are you drunk or just being a POST *****

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Dude,

Your car is lighter, has better suspension, and a locked rear end. Learn to drive that man and it will be a great match up regardless. Just think about my Z at low boost passing DB's Black G at Willow Springs on turn nine. Both on slicks. Pucker up....

No excuses.

JY, still wish you were here man. I need your motor.....

M
Are you drunk or just being a POST *****
Old 12-31-2005, 04:12 AM
Never Mind

so the JWT TT kit can be installed on a stock block.. what is the highest boost that you can run and being in the safe side?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 AM
booger

VRT...Its more than likely been mentioned , but what engine managment system does the JWT kit use ? And can you purchase the kit from you and have a local shop install it ?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:35 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Wow,

FIRST - Amy Croft, didn't know it was a crime to post on more than one Thread. Maybe a Lil Tipsy at 11:30 PM - rare for me...Just have limited time on the computer to view, post, reply, or whatever. Excuse ME for being busy running a few companies and consistently making kick-*** VRT cars.

BTW, are you a Girl or Boy? Not making a stab - just confused and like to know who publicly thrashes me for NO REASON when they really have NO IDEA WHO I AM.

Warmly,

Michael call me (The Post *****) if you want...

http://www.ViolentRacing.com
Old 12-31-2005, 08:36 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Sorry Booger,

Your Question: We use Split Second and so does JWT.
www.Splitsec.com

Laptop programmable and allows us reasonable control over A / F, Timing, and Voltage that we can monitor from our FMU and Boost controlled set-ups. The User-Interface needs improvement for sure, yet it is very functional.

As for the JWT Kit, please PM or register at my site
www.ViolentRacing.com

We can discuss prices. Not at liberty to sell you a kit to install in your hometown though.

Please PM if you have any questions.

Thanks

Michael

Quick Reply: Jim Wolf Turbo Kit