Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Best exhaust for supercharged z

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 09:26 AM
zeith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for supercharged z

I am looking to buy an exhaust system for my car within the next month and i will for sure be buying a vortech supercharger in april. So my question is which exhaust will result in the best gains for a supercharged z. I have done the search and have not come up with a definate answer. Some have said a free flowing exhaust is best and some have said the opposite. Please chime in if you have had experience with this issue. thank you in advance for your time
Old 12-25-2005, 10:21 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the true duals or a 3 inch single should work fine
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Nismo 350z

Is the Nismo a 3 inch single?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 AM
MoodDude

I would go with the true dual, looks and sounds better than the single.

All I have to say is that Nismo is over-priced! There is just as high of quailty or better out there for a lot less $$$!!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 AM
PoWeRtRiP

2 words, cut-out. just install an electronic cut out on your stock exhaust and youre good to go.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 AM
dimebagdolf

I went with the Nismo and have been very happy.

Got a great deal on it too.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 AM
LOU

It doesn't matter. Pick the one you like the best. (sound, looks, price, etc.) I have had three different exhausts on my car, including both true dual and single pipe exhausts. There wasn't much difference at all.

The Borla TD was nice, but rattled. I broke a JIC Spartan DE Type 2 at the track. Crappy construction if you ask me. And now I have the Nismo. It sounds good and has held up on the drag strip and road courses with no problem.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 AM
LOU

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Is the Nismo a 3 inch single?
Yes
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM
CpraceZ

I agree with the True Daul always seen good numbers a great sound with that setup
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by dimebagdolf
I went with the Nismo and have been very happy.

Got a great deal on it too.
I agree that Nismo does a great quality job and it will fit. Just saying that there are options other than NISMO.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
RedLeader

Default other option

I'd buy one of the dual setups that has a sound you like. The Stillen flowed really well in the magazine comparo, and I'm making over 500whp with it. While I like Powertrips' suggestion, the cops in my locale are really tough on excessive noise. I know I'd get caught running with the exhaust bypass open.....

With the new APS 3.5" exhaust arriving this week, there may be a bunch of people upgrading. Could be an opportunity for you.

Last edited by RedLeader; 12-29-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
LOU

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I'd buy one of the dual setups that has a sound you like. The Stillen flowed really well in the magazine comparo, and I'm making over 500whp with it. While I like Powertrips' suggestion, the cops in my locale are really tough on excessive noise. I know I'd get caught running with the exhaust bypass open.....

With the new APS 3.5" exhaust arriving this week, there may be a bunch of people upgrading. Could be an opportunity for you.
Bruce,

3" or 3.5" True dual exhausts are great for turbos, but superchargers are a completely different animal. If the pipes are too big with a SC, you will lose torque in exchange for a small increase of the top end horsepower.

Most people with superchargers aren't pushing enough horsepower to run a 3" TD exhaust. The Stillen 2.5" TD performs relatively the same as the Borla TD or a 3" single pipe exhaust like the Nismo.

My car (before the engine was built), Tim Goodman's car and John's (G35) car all had similar setups as far as cams, boost, etc. Tim has the Stillen TD, Jonh has the Injen SES, I have the Nsimo and all of our power numbers, HP and TQ were similar.

Last edited by LOU; 12-29-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
RedLeader

Lou-
That's exactly what I meant. As TT guys buy bigger systems, it may mean there will be some good 2"-2.5" systems available. Hell, I'm even thinking about going bigger. Rob says my car has a hard time boosting above 15-16lbs even with the Forge actuators.
I hope you guys are getting some of our "liquid sunshine". It's really ugly here.

Bruce
Old 12-29-2005, 10:09 AM
LOU

Oh okay, I see what you meant now. So how long has it been since you've seen your car? I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushing over 600rwhp by the time you get it back.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
plumpzz

Really, on a supercharger you don't need that much of a freeflowing exhaust.. you'd go by fine w/ high flow cats or stock cats and a 3 inch exhaust like nismo. However, some TD sound real good.. I'm very partial to quieter exhausts so..yah.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
RedLeader

Plumpz-
That's why I like the Stillen and the Borla dual. Good sound, a little louder than stock, and a "throatier" exhaust note.

Lou-
Rob has had it since August 26th. I've run into a few holdups on parts, but it's pretty well wrapped at this point. Rob was trying to get as many cars out the door as possible before he headed out for Christmas, so I told him I'd prefer to wait until he got back. No sense rushing it, and I didn't want to brave the airport the week before Christmas. Maybe I should just leave it in CA and visit it periodically?

Bruce
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
booger

I have the Stillen also . Glad to see it holding 500whp . I think its a 2.25 inch instead of 2.5 inch though . With test pipes...it dam loud though . But with high flow cats its not flowing enough . So Im going to have to put up with the rasp and noise
Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
barthelb
Master

May i add what a nice decoration your car has been there. J/k you have saved me and G3po a lot of headaches.

Your exhaust is pretty quiet. The turbos sure do quiet things down a lot, I wish the same could be said for our SC bretheren. Thats the only thing that kills that is the enormous sound it produces under load.

So, when are you coming down to Cali.....

Lou that sounds like a good idea about the Final drives.

Plumpz-
That's why I like the Stillen and the Borla dual. Good sound, a little louder than stock, and a "throatier" exhaust note.

Lou-
Rob has had it since August 26th. I've run into a few holdups on parts, but it's pretty well wrapped at this point. Rob was trying to get as many cars out the door as possible before he headed out for Christmas, so I told him I'd prefer to wait until he got back. No sense rushing it, and I didn't want to brave the airport the week before Christmas. Maybe I should just leave it in CA and visit it periodically?

Bruce
Old 12-29-2005, 12:50 PM
RedLeader

Booger-
I can't remember if you're running a S/C or turbo? One of the guys that had his engine built here in Portland has test-pipes behind his Vortech with a 9lb. pulley and the techs said it is absolutely deafening. I have LaBree resonated test-pipes behind my turbos and it doesn't sound much louder than stock. I've already seen a used APS 2.5" exhaust come up for sale, but if I'm going to step up, I think I'll go 3.0".

Bruce-
I'm still waiting to hear if the 3.5" test-pipes have cleared customs. That's the only thing that's keeping me from flying to SJO on Jan. 2nd. If I can get a pair, I'll have them installed while Rob can install them. I have to end this batch of mods and recharge my bank account! (Not to mention being tired of motorcycle-commuting in 36-degree monsoon season)
Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
booger

Booger-
I can't remember if you're running a S/C or turbo? One of the guys that had his engine built here in Portland has test-pipes behind his Vortech with a 9lb. pulley and the techs said it is absolutely deafening. I have LaBree resonated test-pipes behind my turbos and it doesn't sound much louder than stock. I've already seen a used APS 2.5" exhaust come up for sale, but if I'm going to step up, I think I'll go 3.0".

Bruce-
I'm still waiting to hear if the 3.5" test-pipes have cleared customs. That's the only thing that's keeping me from flying to SJO on Jan. 2nd. If I can get a pair, I'll have them installed while Rob can install them. I have to end this batch of mods and recharge my bank account! (Not to mention being tired of motorcycle-commuting in 36-degree monsoon season)
Yeh..Vortech T-trim 13.5psi , working on 16psi now . Very loud with the stillen and Crawford cats...I had test pipes , resonated pipes , Rt cats , gutted RT cats . When I put the Crawforss on , I gained 1.5psi , lost power , but it got rid of the rasp . Going to have to put up with the very, very , very loud and rasp for more power

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for supercharged z