Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbosmart Wastegate Pics / Cure for TN Overboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 PM
meme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is really nothing to the block off plate. just get some scrape metal. drill 2 small holes cut to shape; done. no need to buy/pay much for it. metal does not need to be thick.

use some high temp silicone and lock washers.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
keeptrying

Scribed.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jet looks like I am having the same problem as you. My tuner has just finished the UTEC and tuner pro install and tune but he let me know that once in a while it will spike 11-12 lbs of boost. I know the RSR and topspeed are similiar but he RSR is a smaller pipe so I thought I might get away with it. So here is my question does TN have a solution yet? or do I also have to throw my money at it? The only reason I dont want to is because because the car is rediculously loud as is.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that.... Add another to the list.

As far as I know TN has no cure yet, but they are working on it. They will be recieving a Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust soon, and will be fitting it to a car and evaluating the situation. Likely it will not be soon. My estimate? At least a month til you hear anything about a fix. Maybe more. But they are working.

All I can offer to you is to run with the silencers in to reduce exhaust noise. But if you think your car is loud now wait til you hear a wastegate vented to the atmosphere. It will scare motorists in the lane next to you. No kidding.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-04-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Well.... it is related to the exhaust system. If you put on a less restrictive exhaust system the exhaust will allways follow the path of least resistence which is through the turbo instead of out the wastegage. So with the stock exhaust you are ok because it is building back pressure and the wg is the path of least resistance. By reloactating the wastegate and making the exhaust flow to it more efficient the path of least resistance is through the wg again with a free flowing exhaust installed.

Respect
JET
I dont think its related to the exhaust system, becuase we have tested 3inch exhuasts, and even disconnected an exhaust system, and experience absolutely zero boost creep or spike. All of this was performed on CPR's dyno.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:06 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I am not sure it is only an exhaust issue either but what else could it be?

Red Hot Z: You should let Reggie @ TN know that you are having the issue.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I dont think its related to the exhaust system, becuase we have tested 3inch exhuasts, and even disconnected an exhaust system, and experience absolutely zero boost creep or spike. All of this was performed on CPR's dyno.
Thats why this is such a freak problem. TN has also tested a car with no exhaust and not experienced creep. There are some 3" exhaust owners who do not experience this problem at all, so that proves that theory wrong. Kelly replaced the WG and still has the issue Very weird how only a few guys are experiencing this situation-and with diff exhausts systems, and others dont with the same set-ups....
Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Well Jet proved that it is WG flow. It could be purely due to the angle of the WG/dump pipe and that on the stock kit its on the hairy edge of flowing. Maybe piping alignment is enough to throw it off. I dunno but it would be nice to have precise WG control
Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Well Jet proved that it is WG flow.
Yes he did, on his car...

It could be purely due to the angle of the WG/dump pipe and that on the stock kit its on the hairy edge of flowing.
If that was the case then how is it less than a handful of people have experienced this problem when 90% of TN owners also have aftermarket exhaust systems? And many have 3" systems with no issues, so that kinda shoots down that theory....btw Im not trying to argue with you or anybody, just trying to help figure out why only a few cars experience this, and the majority dont. Saying the WG location is on the hairy edge of flowing imo is an unfair statement.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:13 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Eh. It could be that there is just not enough tolerances built into the system and that the WG/dump design just does not flow enough on cars with "the right combinations." Not trying to argue with you either. I realize this is a weird issue but...

I bet there are a bunch of people that don't even know how much boost they are making and others that are slightly overboosting that either do not care or are managing it. Those people may experience even higher boost if they swap to a higher flowing exhaust in the future too. You only hear about the problem from a few people that experience the issue AND post.

Let me turn it around a bit. We really do not know how many people have precise WG/boost control do we? How many people have the TN kit with an EBCS and have shown they have precise control over boost? I don't recall seeing too many posts like that (if any). Have you?

BTW, Please do not read anything into this. It is not my intention to criticise TN or the kit. On the contrary I appreciate that they are working on it. I'd like to see a mod come out for the kit that resolves the issue so that we can have precise WG/boost control on our cars.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You are right it could be the WG location and the right combinations make the problem appear. A post where TN owners posted actual boost with both a boost guage and some other device as a confirmation, along with their exhaust set-up would be neat...

I should be full boost tonight with my kit, Im running a slightly larger than 3" exhaust, Ill report back what happens, Im not gonna lie, Im a little concerned but we shall see
Old 01-04-2006, 07:36 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Hopefully the boost god are with you Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 AM
RED HOT Z

They are not with me!!! So what should I do drive my car as is or will I damage it? Should I wait for a TN solution or just buy a wastegate and hope it helps
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

How much boost are you seeing?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
kcobean

I would also like to note that for most of us (and Sharif can testify to this) the overboost issue doesn't show up on the dyno, but it does on the street. I have my CPR dynos and my car peaked at around 9-9.5 PSI of boost on the dyno, but will routinely pull 11+ on the street.

Red Hot Z, since you are not using the typically rich Tnetics reflash, and have a tuned 11.x:1 AFR, I would not push your car unless it was tuned to be safe at the higher boost levels. When I was driving my car with the reflash, I could boost to 11 all day long because my AFR was so ridiculously rich. I don't do it now that I have a proper AFR that is tuned to 9 PSI.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by kcobean
I would also like to note that for most of us (and Sharif can testify to this) the overboost issue doesn't show up on the dyno, but it does on the street. I have my CPR dynos and my car peaked at around 9-9.5 PSI of boost on the dyno, but will routinely pull 11+ on the street.

Red Hot Z, since you are not using the typically rich Tnetics reflash, and have a tuned 11.x:1 AFR, I would not push your car unless it was tuned to be safe at the higher boost levels. When I was driving my car with the reflash, I could boost to 11 all day long because my AFR was so ridiculously rich. I don't do it now that I have a proper AFR that is tuned to 9 PSI.
Kelly Im curious what was your a/f when you were overboosting? And was the overboosting on the street consistent or would it only occur randomly every once in a while?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:57 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Alberto
Kelly Im curious what was your a/f when you were overboosting? And was the overboosting on the street consistent or would it only occur randomly every once in a while?
Well, unfortunately, I can't really say because I don't have a WB gauge in the car (yet, but it's on the hotlist for the new year) so I don't have any "street data". On the dyno though, pulling 9-9.5 PSI, I was in the low-mid 10's up to about 4500 RPM, then I dropped into the 9's. I still haven't gotten all the fuel residue off the back of the car.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I take it you did not use a load based dyno like a Mustang?

My car showed slightly over 10psi on a Mustang dyno. On the street I have seen 9.9psi...pretty accurate if you ask me. *this was when it was warmer.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
RED HOT Z

Well me on my boost gauge I see it spike to 11 but my tuner on the dyno and on the tuner pro shows sometimes 11-12. So what should I do? It has been about a month or more since I installed the kit and still have not felt boost!!! AHHH
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
Well me on my boost gauge I see it spike to 11 but my tuner on the dyno and on the tuner pro shows sometimes 11-12. So what should I do? It has been about a month or more since I installed the kit and still have not felt boost!!! AHHH
You have two options. First drive it but take it easy until Turbonetics fixes this...Second..put your stock exhaust back on until the fix is out...

Quick Reply: Turbosmart Wastegate Pics / Cure for TN Overboost