Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can the Turbo XS UTEC control boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 02:58 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the UTEC. What do I need to buy for boost control. Do I need to run 2 solenoids? One to keep the wg closed, and the other to open it? Can the UTEC do this or can it only control wg opening signal.

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 03:26 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one to keep it closed up to the desired boost level.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I have the UTEC. What do I need to buy for boost control. Do I need to run 2 solenoids? One to keep the wg closed, and the other to open it? Can the UTEC do this or can it only control wg opening signal.

Respect
JET
You should only need one solenoid. The boost signal from the compressor should still go to the lower wastegate port. This force is acting to open the wastegate. The solenoid out port will go to the top port of the wastegate to act on it to keep it closed.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 PM
JETPILOT

Sweeeet !!!! Can't wait to hook this up.

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 04:00 PM
JETPILOT

Who is knowledgeable and capable of hooking this up to the UTEC? Which solenoid do I need?

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Who is knowledgeable and capable of hooking this up to the UTEC? Which solenoid do I need?

Respect
JET
I hate to tell you to drive again but Sharif should be able to handle this for you...
Old 01-01-2006, 04:20 PM
JETPILOT

I figured that.....

1 trip to NC and back to hook up the Tnetics kit 1000 miles.

1 trip to MD and back to hook up the UTEC and tune. 2000 miles.

1 MORE trip to MD to hook up with 440 injectors, boost controller and tune. Childs play.

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

We are actually going to play with this feature this week a bit..I will keep you posted on the outcome..
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Never Mind

aha.. good timing .. I was wondering last night if something can be hooked to reduce/increase boost on the fly..

say the APS TT kit @ 8PSI, with a boost controller you can reduce the boost to what level? and wouldn't that cause a rich AFR?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Never Mind
aha.. good timing .. I was wondering last night if something can be hooked to reduce/increase boost on the fly..

say the APS TT kit @ 8PSI, with a boost controller you can reduce the boost to what level? and wouldn't that cause a rich AFR?
You won't be able to reduce boost on the fly like a seperate boost controller. Even better.... you can switch between MAPS already tuned for the pre-selected boost. You won't adjust your boost independant of the MAP. You can switch to a lower boost MAP. MAP 1 might be a 6PSI MAP for 91 octane, and MAP 2 might be for 7PSI and 93 octane. Just switch the MAP and your UTEC takes care of controlling the boost.

You can never reduce boost below the wastegate spring pressure. So whatever spring pressure you have is the lowest boost you can create a MAP for.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-02-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Never Mind

thanks, figured it out after reading one of the boost controllers manual
this even makes me feel better knowing that you can set a lower preset boost..
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I thought it was possible to tune using the UTEC and vary boost (with an external EBC) and maintain fairly consistent AFR ?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:06 AM
BlackTuner

Respect
JET
We will offer a separate Boost Solenoid. You will be able to run single or dual solenoids depending on what you want to do. Simple boost control all you will need a single solenoid.

I like the Dual Solenoid setup, which will be available at a much later date. This allows you to run a very low w/g spring setting so you can launch the car without completely blowing away the tires then ramp boost as traction increases. This will be the hotness

Well if you use the UTEC's boost control you will be able to make several maps for low or high boost. The beauty of the deal is that it allows you to tune each fuel map for the boost you will run with UTEC for Boost Control or another Boost Controller. With a flip of the map selector you have multiple maps at your finger tips

I thought it was possible to tune using the UTEC and vary boost (with an external EBC) and maintain fairly consistent AFR ?
It is, you will just have to adjust your on the controller separately.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

Last edited by BlackTuner; 01-02-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM
JETPILOT

My friends told me I wasn't a "pimp" before.... But with this UTEC I certainly qualify as a "pimp". This is certainly pimp material.

Respect
JET
Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

We just managed to get it working!!We were running 14psi before using a manual boost controller, and just removed is and replaced it with the solenoid from the APS kit, and made a boost map.We were able to have the car run and hold 9psi rock steady!!! We were of course halted by the weather,but will be doing some Dyno tuning and boost mapping later this week..But it does work!!
My wastegate springs are good for about 18-20psi, so the UTEC controled the BCS and made it maintain 9psi..We were also able to get fater spool up by playing with the Boost Control gain feature in the UTEC user constants!!
This is exciting news and will eliminate the need for costly boost control units in the future!!
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/162152-utec-open-loop-boost-control-good-times.html

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorizes Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884
Old 01-02-2006, 12:31 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

My friends told me I wasn't a "pimp" before.... But with this UTEC I certainly qualify as a "pimp". This is certainly pimp material.

Respect
JET

Jet: You certainly attained PIMP status when you installed the giant TurboSmart wastegate. How loud is that anyhow?

Julian, thanks for the info on the boost control via UTEC. If they come out with a solenoid soon I may go wthat route and sell the Blitz.