Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can the Turbo XS UTEC control boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the Turbo XS UTEC control boost?

Can something be hooked up to the UTEC to control boost? Or is a seperate electronic boost controller required. I'm not talking about a manual boost controller. I want pressure keeping the wg valve closed until desired boost is reached. My wg is creeping open before desired boost is reached.

Respect
JET
Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 AM
DayBlueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing it can't control is your woman!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
JETPILOT

LOL !!! What do I need for the UTEC to control boost.

Respect
JET
Old 12-31-2005, 01:48 AM
mojo powered

the TurboXS DTEC electronic boost controller.. (~$500)

but I believe you need a Gameboy to set it up
Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by mojo powered
the TurboXS DTEC electronic boost controller.. (~$500)

but I believe you need a Gameboy to set it up
The DTEC is not needed to control boost. The UTEC has a solenoid driver on the board that will need to hard wired. If you are using a the APS UNICHIP you can hard wire the solenoid to the UTEC and use the UTECs Boost Map.

Thanks,
Old 12-31-2005, 06:44 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

So the boost features are enabled now? Will the launch control and no-lift-to-shift work now?
Also, will the TurboXS boost controllers work?
Trying to decide if I should use the UTEC boost features or the Blitz SBC that I have sitting in my office. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
The DTEC is not needed to control boost. The UTEC has a solenoid driver on the board that will need to hard wired. If you are using a the APS UNICHIP you can hard wire the solenoid to the UTEC and use the UTECs Boost Map.

Thanks,
Jermaine,
PM me on which pin to wire it to..
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 PM
JETPILOT

Now for the stupid people..... what do I need to install for the UTEC to control boost.

Respect
JET
Old 12-31-2005, 02:16 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Now for the stupid people..... what do I need to install for the UTEC to control boost.

Respect
JET
Just their solenoid, I believe.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:32 PM
JETPILOT

Would I need 2 solenoids? One to hold the WG closed, and one to open it?

Can the UTEC do this?

Respect
JET
Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 AM
ken350z

It's explained very well in the manual.

http://www.turboxs.com/downloads/350...Zutec_v2_3.zip

Answered a lot of questions for me.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by DayBlueZ
the only thing it can't control is your woman!
Man, if it could do that then I think they would be sold out in under 10 seconds!

Why not just get a boost controler, that way you can play with the boost and gain manually? So if you loan your car to someone (who you don't want to give all the hp to) you can turn down the max boost (3 psi). Or if you want to ramp up your Turbos faster you can turn up the gain (just be carefull not to go overboost).
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Man, if it could do that then I think they would be sold out in under 10 seconds!

Why not just get a boost controler, that way you can play with the boost and gain manually? So if you loan your car to someone (who you don't want to give all the hp to) you can turn down the max boost (3 psi). Or if you want to ramp up your Turbos faster you can turn up the gain (just be carefull not to go overboost).
Because that would defeat the purpouse of the UTEC controling the boost.With the UTEC controling the boost it gives you the ability to map your boost settings, same as in an advanced $500+ boost controller, and will also allow you to accurately switch your boost settings within the UTEC simply by switching maps.
Basically by adding a simple boost control selenoid to the UTEC and mapping your boost you can develop say a 93 octane 11 psi map and a 100+ octane 14+psi map that will be switchable within the UTEC without having to go under the hood and turn a boost controller...Using a manual boost controller is pretty much a guessing game.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:22 PM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Because that would defeat the purpouse of the UTEC controling the boost.With the UTEC controling the boost it gives you the ability to map your boost settings, same as in an advanced $500+ boost controller, and will also allow you to accurately switch your boost settings within the UTEC simply by switching maps.
Basically by adding a simple boost control selenoid to the UTEC and mapping your boost you can develop say a 93 octane 11 psi map and a 100+ octane 14+psi map that will be switchable within the UTEC without having to go under the hood and turn a boost controller...Using a manual boost controller is pretty much a guessing game.
So if using the boost controller is a guessing game, why isn't the UTEC? You probably still have to set the maximum boost and gain on the UTEC?

And I don't have to go under the hood to change the settings, my boost controller is mounted right where the sunglass holder was.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

So if using the boost controller is a guessing game, why isn't the UTEC? You probably still have to set the maximum boost and gain on the UTEC?

And I don't have to go under the hood to change the settings, my boost controller is mounted right where the sunglass holder was.
Because a manual boost controler your turning a valve and you really are estimating the amount of boost your increasing or decreasing per turn.Where as once all the parameters are set within the utec and you make a boost map,exactly the same as the Uni-chip does on APS kits, then you know when you switch maps, to lower or higher boost, your running the same settings every time.When using a manual boost controller you can not do this on the fly..
Old 01-01-2006, 01:48 PM
rs350z

So if you had a boost controller and UTEC the controller would pretty much be useless? I have a controller and plan on eventually getting UTEC. Shoudl i just sell my boost controller or is it worth hanging on to?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Because a manual boost controler your turning a valve and you really are estimating the amount of boost your increasing or decreasing per turn.Where as once all the parameters are set within the utec and you make a boost map,exactly the same as the Uni-chip does on APS kits, then you know when you switch maps, to lower or higher boost, your running the same settings every time.When using a manual boost controller you can not do this on the fly..
Maybe we have are wires crossed? My boost controller (Blitz SBC i-D) has a feedback loop so I don't have to estimate (just can't over gain the sucker(PID loop)) and it works perfect with the APS TT. Plus, with my Blitz Powermeter I can set boost as a function of speed (really helps keep the tires from spinning at take off).

Can you program UTEC to control boost according to speed? Because if it can - man I made the wrong choice.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:55 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I guess the question is whether you can use the utec to just run using boost but not control similar to the way you can with the emanage does.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
rs350z

Now all we need is anwsers..........
Old 01-01-2006, 02:49 PM
BlackTuner

Maybe we have are wires crossed? My boost controller (Blitz SBC i-D) has a feedback loop so I don't have to estimate (just can't over gain the sucker(PID loop)) and it works perfect with the APS TT. Plus, with my Blitz Powermeter I can set boost as a function of speed (really helps keep the tires from spinning at take off).

Can you program UTEC to control boost according to speed? Because if it can - man I made the wrong choice.
You are not required to use a UTEC's Boost Control but it does allow for boost level mapping to be adjusted when you use the map selecting function. If you have purchased a seperate boost control device the UTEC will work just fine i.e MBC, SBC, DTEC-BC or whatever else is available these days. Just remember you will have to adjust your boost level seperately when switching maps.

The current UTEC software contains a simple RPM vs. TPS Map. You can either tune this map by two options. OPEN LOOP BOOST Control allows you to enter solenoid duty cycle from 0 to 100% to achieve your targeted boost level. CLOSED LOOP BOOST Control allows you to enter an arbitrary value and from 0 to 500. This mode uses the map sensor to provide feedback to actively seek your boost target. A bit odd but works very well.

The UTEC Boost Control will be upgraded in the future to contain a lot of the boost functions used on the DTEC Boost Controller like gear based control and our Advanced Closed Loop.

Last edited by BlackTuner; 01-01-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Can the Turbo XS UTEC control boost?