Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS Twin Turbo Kit and Apexi Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Zilvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so no one has pics of the apexi kit
Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 AM
plumpzz

My intercooler defense is that.. well first off the HKS intercooler is oil cooled + watercooled so no worries with the size..HOWEVER in turbo situations the only thing more important than turbocharger size is intercooling heat capacity. Cooling air has more affect on power than increasing pressure, since increasing pressure also increases heat, decrease density and loose power.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Zilvia

so will it be optional to swich out intercoolers.......cause that dinky lil SFMIC wont be very helpful racing on a track...........
Old 01-21-2006, 12:05 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 086
UMM wrong

320 UNTUNED for the HKS.. that is the same for the Vortech.

Tune and you are 350-360 PEAK horsepower. Most people do not realize peak #s dont mean crap. The HKS has more meat under the power/torque curves than the vortech at even much less peak horsepower.

I dont know how many times I have to explain about the small intercooler. People push over 20psi through a full size intercooler, why do you need a full size for only 10psi max? The stock engine will not handle any more than that. This is basic fluid dynamics 101.
Well Ive tried to push 13.5 though the larger Vortech IC and the belt would not hold no matter how tight I got it . I understand what your saying . The HKS is a smaller blower and is at its best sonner than the Vortech . I would think if you compared the compressor maps they would totally different . same with small turbo and large turbo thing . There are quite a few Vortech guys running 11 , 12psi on a stock block . I dont think your going to see that out of a HKS SC
Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

You illustrate something that is not very obvious. Area under the curve is what translates into seat of the pants, real world power...and FUN..on the road. Would I trade a a Supra powerband for the VQ's, even if I could gain 200whp....nope!
Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 PM
booger

Originally Posted by 086
The HKS SC puts out a higher average torque and hp throughout the RPM band even at significantly lower peak HP numbers.

HKS at 7psi:
Peak HP: 329
Peak TQ: 326
AVG HP (3-6.5k RPM): 264
AVG TQ (3-6.5k RPM): 297

Vortech at 9psi:
Peak HP: 408
Peak TQ: 331
AVG HP (3-6.5k RPM): 268
AVG TQ (3-6.5k RPM): 286

For those that suck at math, this is a 79whp difference in peak power. Yet, only a 4hp difference in average power across the power band. The average power is what matters more than peak power (unless you have a small *****)

And still at 5ft-lbs peak torque, the Vortech still lags the HKS by 11ft-lbs across the RPM range.

PLEASE PEOPLE. STOP SAYING THE HKS ROTREX SUCKS OR IS INFERIOR TO VORTECH. At a 70+hp disadvantage, the HKS will be a faster car.
I think I just said that....When I said the HKS will be at its best sooner than the Vortech . I would think the HKS wouldnt be as upgradable for more psi .

OH...LOL I do have a small ***** . I guess when some guys feel threatened . They have to bring up ***** size to feel more manly
Old 01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
booger

No offence but with less than 10 post , I got a feeling some one sent you here to defend the HKS . Ive said it before , the HKS is a great kit . It cost more and if you dont plan on for bigger hp , it might be the kit to get . But how many of us are satisfied with the way the kits come out of the boX ? Not many of us . Im sure there are smaller pulleys to get with it , but its going to run out of juice sooner than a Vortech . Just as a smaller turbo vs. a bigger turbo
Old 01-21-2006, 05:30 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Anyway, anything new on this HKS kit. I'd love to see what they've come up with. Hopefully they've managed to keep the bumper support (unlike greddy). I was quite amused when one of the guys at greddy told me that the support has to be removed in order to fit the intercooler, so i then asked him why nobody else has to remove it. There was a long silence, with no answer.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:07 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

My opinion is that they rushed the kit in order to get it out there quickly, and didn´t really do enough research. I´m not mocking the kit, i think its a great one to make a platform with, but remember when it first came out, it had cheap stuff, like nasty paper gaskets. The kit has improved, i would just like them to do something about that intercooler positioning, it is a complete ****up from them.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Zilvia

Originally Posted by Zilvia
so no one has pics of the apexi kit

any at all
Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Calsonic

yay, the more the better for the Z's turbo market..
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
brewster

HKS sure looks good at SEMA. I've been waiting > 1 year for HKS to release a FI kit for the G35 which was supposed to happen but hasn't. Now the Rotrex SC is seems to be back ordered ++. I waited a long time for a back order Hi Power exhaust. Does anyone know what is coming for the G35 coupe & when? When you call HKS no one can say anything. They're good at advertising but not getting stuff out. Sorry I'm just the customer, I must be wrong? Will PWR can you advise?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by brewster
HKS sure looks good at SEMA. I've been waiting > 1 year for HKS to release a FI kit for the G35 which was supposed to happen but hasn't. Now the Rotrex SC is seems to be back ordered ++. I waited a long time for a back order Hi Power exhaust. Does anyone know what is coming for the G35 coupe & when? When you call HKS no one can say anything. They're good at advertising but not getting stuff out. Sorry I'm just the customer, I must be wrong? Will PWR can you advise?
The exhaust has been in stock for the past few weeks or so and should still be in stock. I can double check tomorrow

As for the SC kit for the G35c, we are doing long term testing on our inhouse car.

Hope that helps a little
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 PM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i saw the APEX turbo kit for the z it's pretty big.

each time i try to post these pic's i can't. could any one help me
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Will Pwr

The G35c (and Z) are currently in stock

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
The exhaust has been in stock for the past few weeks or so and should still be in stock. I can double check tomorrow

As for the SC kit for the G35c, we are doing long term testing on our inhouse car.

Hope that helps a little
Old 01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
brewster

Thanks Will for the update! I hope they get a FI kit out soon for the G35 kit. That HKS twin turbo would fit nicely under the G's hood. Of course I've seen a few Z's with the SC in Canada & they rock! We'll see if good things come to those who wait.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

will the new HKS work with AT car?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Will Pwr

Thanks Will for the update! I hope they get a FI kit out soon for the G35 kit. That HKS twin turbo would fit nicely under the G's hood. Of course I've seen a few Z's with the SC in Canada & they rock! We'll see if good things come to those who wait.
No probs.....

The SC will probably be available for the G35 relatively soon...especially since ours has been performing well. Yeah, there are a good number of then in Canada and everyone has been very happy with them. Im not sure if you are near Calgary, but there is a Pro Dealer up there, RCTS, and they did a nice roadster up there.

as for the turbo for the G35, first things first and testing on the LHD 350Zs has to be done..then from there.....
Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by Bubble
will the new HKS work with AT car?
We havent firsthand installed one on an automatic, but I heard of a few done by owners/installers. There might be some modifcations that need to be done due to items such as an AT cooler/lines that run in the same path as parts for the SC kit.....but I have heard of them being done. I do know that on early model G35 sedans the SC kit would not work due to the radiator fan design. The early models used a clutch fan that was driven off the motor/pulley assembly...where as the newer ones (post 6spd manual release) used an electric fan set up like how the Z and the G35c do.

If I can a chance to do some research with some dealers, I can see if they personally installed a kit on an AT.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
dank311

Will PWR - Do these HKS single and TT kits have much production left before being released, or are the in their final production stages?

Im just trying to get an idea if they will be released in the next few months, or is it going to be more like a year for it to hit the US? I am getting closer and closer to buying a turbo setup for my Z, and I was wondering if either of these kits will be worth waiting it out.

Quick Reply: HKS Twin Turbo Kit and Apexi Turbo Kit