Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Several Questions prior to going FI re: clutch, power goal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:47 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Several Questions prior to going FI re: clutch, power goal

Well, after my problems this weekend I will probably have to pull my engine to replace the cradle / subframe, so I figured, why not make the best of this crisis and take the opportunity to do some upgrades.

As mentioned in another thread I am hoping to install an APS TT kit on a stock bottom end with any necessary supporting mods (although I'm more and more leaning toward 9:1 or 9.x:1 pistons and some h-beam rods). I have a few questions before I lighten my wallet:

QUESTION 1 - Clutch
So when Nissan replaced my transmission I had them install the NISMO pressure plate and flywheel, but chose to install a brand new stock clutch disc itself.

I'm trying to nail down plans to go FI with a target of no more than 400-450hp - will these components withstand that? I don't drag race at all and the car will probably NEVER see the strip, but I don't want something that is going to fail in short order causing me to have to pull everything apart a second time.

If people DO NOT feel it will stand up to the power, can I simply upgrade the disc and keep the other parts (perhaps a NISMO disc?) - I like the way it drives now...

QUESTION 2 - Power Goal vs Engine Build

There has been a lot of talk about this from what I've seen via Search, but I wanted a definitive answer. Everyone seems to either shoot for 350-400 or the 550-700 range... Any reason in particular that people don't "settle" for say 425 or 450? I for one have built a very powerful over-kill engine for my previous car and would be perfectly happy with another 100-150hp on top of what I have now, especially if longevity could be improved and I could get from 50,000-80,000 between rebuilds/checks. Is it turbo sizing in the kits? are they either too small or too big? Am I choosing the wrong application for an APS TT kit? My main thoughts are reliability and drivability - I don't want something where it's a sledge-hammer when you reach positive manifold pressure. I just want some extra fun from exercising the "go" pedal

QUESTION 3 - Fuel System

I already have a brand new SX pump and regulator, can I use that instead of the "drop-in" Walbro that everyone sells (the reg is the same as what comes with the AAM "kit") - and what else do I need to run the fuel return? I don't really feel like selling what I have and paying just shy of 1k for their kit, is there anything besides lines and fittings that you get, and can I source fuel rails elsewhere (there's a shop down the street that I can get anything and everything AN from so that's taken care of).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!