Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need advice on F/I!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 PM
azrlee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on F/I!!!!

Hi guys!!!

Just thinking about going F/I, but donīt wanna pay $7.000 +, i was thinking about maybe a Single turbo or Vortech or ATi Procharger, in that price range, any recommendations????? Which is more reliable and if I have to get other parts besides the ones the kit has. thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 PM
widebody350

Vortech is probably the most widely used supercharger(reliability&tuners know how best to tune them) and cheapest of what you listed to install. Could be wrong though. TN is another way to go and all of the owners of TN kits swear by them so definately check that out. To answer your last question. You definately want to have a UTEC(insert EMS here) nowdays to ensure reliability/driveability/most hp.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
azrlee

what does TN stands for????

and UTEC ?????

what about other superchargers?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Ahmads350z

Originally Posted by azrlee
what does TN stands for????

and UTEC ?????

what about other superchargers?
Turbonetics...
what are your goals with your Z? I suggest you do some research first bro
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Forced-induction recommendations are in the forced-induction forum. You have been a member for more than 3 years. Not exactly a newbie.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
azrlee

Well I had done all kind of N/A mods to the car and i believe to get the Hp increase Iīm looking F/I is the way, but i donīt want to mess up my car because is my everyday car (daily driver) and besides itīs my only ride, so Iīm looking not to go any extreme, just get a good kit, that doesnīt affect daily driving. Here is a list of my actual mods:

1)Engine:K&N Typhoon Kit/Borla Headers/Borla True Dual Exhaust/UR SS Pulleys Kit/Stillen Grounding Kit/APEX S-AFC2
2)Drivetrain: B&M Short Shifter/JWT Flywheel/ACT Street Clutch System
3)Brakes: Goodridge Brake Lines/Brembo Front and Rear Cross Drilled Rotors/Hawk Front and Rear HPS Brake Pads
4)Suspension: Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS Kit

Originally Posted by Ahmads350z
Turbonetics...
what are your goals with your Z? I suggest you do some research first bro
Old 11-15-2006, 12:30 PM
azrlee

Yes Iīve been member a long time ago but Iīve been using the forums from march to this date, but thanks for the tip i will take a look at it.

Originally Posted by davidv
Forced-induction recommendations are in the forced-induction forum. You have been a member for more than 3 years. Not exactly a newbie.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Ahmads350z

Well I had done all kind of N/A mods to the car and i believe to get the Hp increase Iīm looking F/I is the way, but i donīt want to mess up my car because is my everyday car (daily driver) and besides itīs my only ride, so Iīm looking not to go any extreme, just get a good kit, that doesnīt affect daily driving. Here is a list of my actual mods:

1)Engine:K&N Typhoon Kit/Borla Headers/Borla True Dual Exhaust/UR SS Pulleys Kit/Stillen Grounding Kit/APEX S-AFC2
2)Drivetrain: B&M Short Shifter/JWT Flywheel/ACT Street Clutch System
3)Brakes: Goodridge Brake Lines/Brembo Front and Rear Cross Drilled Rotors/Hawk Front and Rear HPS Brake Pads
4)Suspension: Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS Kit
well thats a good set of mods but when you say that you dont want to go into any thing extreme...i think you should think twice...
theres a possibility of blowing the engine which ( if your not ready financially) could just about make you cry like a school girl... trust me i blew my engine the first time around and ended up building my engine...if i were to go back i would do as much as research as could and if you were to go the FI route make sure you have a very reputable installer.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 PM
azrlee

thanks for the advice, financially Iīm not ready to change engines or start repairing mine, in that case i will rather stay N/A and look to some other mods that maybe will not give me a lot of HP but at least some security!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys!!!

Just thinking about going F/I, but donīt wanna pay $7.000 +, i was thinking about maybe a Single turbo or Vortech or ATi Procharger, in that price range, any recommendations????? Which is more reliable and if I have to get other parts besides the ones the kit has. thanks!

guess what, you are gonna pay over that amount anyway, not just for the kit but for the install and tune. you are looking at close to 10K
Old 11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Ahmads350z

thanks for the advice, financially Iīm not ready to change engines or start repairing mine, in that case i will rather stay N/A and look to some other mods that maybe will not give me a lot of HP but at least some security!
well if you are going to go FI some time make sure you save so you are ready to build.
good luck
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
azrlee

thanks bro!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Anthony C

i cant justify spending $6,000+ and only gettin about 400whp... 6 grand on an Evo would put you well into the 600-700 hp range...

has there been anyone who pieced together their own single turbo kit with a rather large turbo capable of producing at least 500whp??? for less than 6 grand?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
saberphx

Originally Posted by Anthony C
i cant justify spending $6,000+ and only gettin about 400whp... 6 grand on an Evo would put you well into the 600-700 hp range...

has there been anyone who pieced together their own single turbo kit with a rather large turbo capable of producing at least 500whp??? for less than 6 grand?
Either way you need a shortblock if you want to go over 400hp safely.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:17 PM
widebody350

Originally Posted by Anthony C

I am sure someone has an ST capable of producing atleast 500whp.
For $6,000 or less? Nope. Don't get caught up on numbers though man. you could have a lot of hp and still get beaten on the street or around a track b/c of the torque curve. You have to look for useable hp...that is unless you just want to walk around saying, "I have a (insert amount of hp) car," or feel like a big dog on dyno days. As far as the Evo comment is concerned...I would rather valet my possibly slower Z than a 900hp Evo. That is enough said about that the Evo vs. Z thing I'm sure you can search and find more than enough threads to re-hash about Evos vs. Zs.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Anthony C

Originally Posted by widebody350
I am sure someone has an ST capable of producing atleast 500whp.
For $6,000 or less? Nope. Don't get caught up on numbers though man. you could have a lot of hp and still get beaten on the street or around a track b/c of the torque curve. You have to look for useable hp...that is unless you just want to walk around saying, "I have a (insert amount of hp) car," or feel like a big dog on dyno days. As far as the Evo comment is concerned...I would rather valet my possibly slower Z than a 900hp Evo. That is enough said about that the Evo vs. Z thing I'm sure you can search and find more than enough threads to re-hash about Evos vs. Zs.

relax man... i OWN a Z.... but i am the photographer for Evo-NY and TSE so im around the cars alot and see what theyre capable of.... i just traded my 04 WRX for a Z pretty much for the statement you made... simply cause its more mature looking and is more of an eye candy stock to stock.

to me though 400whp isnt alot since im around high HP cars on a regular basis doing photoshoots for personal and magazines. so to me 6 grand isnt worth an additional hundred and some odd horsepower ya know?

my brother is investing about 4500 in a a turbo and parts needed for his MKIV Supra and that will put him in the 700hp range... although i LOVE my roadster i guess they just dont wake up to horsepower as great as other cars... BTW dont take this as ignorance or disrespect to those who have spent money on a SC or TT kit for their Z. i just think theyre pretty high priced for the amount of power they offer in a kit... and i know im not the only one who feels this way.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM
widebody350

didn't mean to sound like I was jumpin on ya man. Yea the amount of money for hp on a Z is up there in comparison with other cars but it is what it is. So yea you are not the only one but you know how it goes...Gotta pay to play.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
NissanZfan

You want FI but dont want to pay 7k+ With install, tune, etc you are well over 7k. On top of everything you better have 10k saved incase your engine blows.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Anthony C

edit: nevermind

Last edited by Anthony C; 11-15-2006 at 02:55 PM.