Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT or JWT TT?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman2004
BTW, how did you get that ding in the bumper brace? It looks like the bumper was dropped during the install or something. If it gets dinged like that after dropping what do you think a collision will do to it?
Haha, looks like someone took a 5lb sledge to it!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
1G-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running strong and very fast. I get a little scared sometimes cause I am always on it. I don't think any motor can take the abuse I am giving this car. I filled my tank up yesteray during lunch I am going to have to fill it up again on my way home today. I got like 200 miles out yesterday's tank. It's is 60 miles rount trip from my house to work and I went out to lunch yesterday and ended up driving up on the down the freeway at 140+mph. On my way home after work yesterday I raced a STI and boosted RSX. I hope the novelty wears of soon so I stop driving like this.

BTW, how did you get that ding in the bumper brace? It looks like the bumper was dropped during the install or something. If it gets dinged like that after dropping what do you think a collision will do to it?
Naaaa a bunch of last Summer where going out for a drive, a couple of Z's stock at the time, an M5 and a M3. I took a 14mph 120 degree turn to hard, way too gravely and porus... And i spun her... Hit a gaurdrail in that very corner... I got lucky There was very little damage.... Crashes happen when you play hard...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

That is a 0 degree bend?Looks like 90 to me..Also what about the passenger side turbo outlet, how about that 90 degree bend, got pics of that?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Zivman
oil pan spacer rather than replacement oil pan:
you could always have the best of both worlds. I am putting the JWT spacer on with my APS oil pan.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

you could always have the best of both worlds. I am putting the JWT spacer on with my APS oil pan.
To me, that picture look like a half azzed install...How is that better than a larger oil pan again?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
TheCajunStyle

Yeah that does look pretty bad--not really sure why so much adhesive (or silicone) was used...shouldn't a couple of gaskets work perfectly?...

seriously though, we're saying some kits are better than others because they are lacking 90 degree bends? last time I checked, when air is forced to travel through something, it will go without any issue--in whichever direction it needs--from high to low pressure areas.

finally, stock for stock, the aps may be more "complete" from the current view of tuners, but time will tell, stock for stock, the JWT will also be viewed as "complete."

Moving slightly past stock levels, go APS. For a little extra $, the JWT will accomplish this just as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
To me, that picture look like a half azzed install...How is that better than a larger oil pan again?
I didn't say that is better than a larger oil pan. I said I am going to put a JWT spacer on my APS oil pan. I will have a 7 qt capacity.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't say that is better than a larger oil pan. I said I am going to put a JWT spacer on my APS oil pan. I will have a 7 qt capacity.
are you going to extend your pickup two times?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by beastie
Peter is that you? I thought you were banned?
Just Kidding! I am glad your kit and car are running well. Enjoy.
Okay, I'm really out of the loop. I've seen multiple comments about Peter being banned (mentioned in other threads).

What's the story on this? Is there a thread I missed? Everyone keeps saying they've experienced APS customer service first hand, etc.

I just want to know what happened (if anything)?

People on here don't seem to be defending him or anything, but they do still promote APS products when they believe in them.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Zivman
are you going to extend your pickup two times?
I don't know what SGP does, but they make it work.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

wont that be an inch from the ground?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:06 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by chimmike
does it HAVE to be a TT kit? What are your power goals ? (as someone asked before)

Think you would have figured out by now that no one wants to hear your turbonetics plug after you didn't get a response to your first post in this thread?? READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Back on topic.

Obviously, I'm partial to the APS kit since that's what is on my car. The reason that the APS kit is on my car is because I believe it is the most complete out, of the box, no corners cut forced induction option for the 350Z. Simple as that.

The JWT kit no doubt has a lot of potential, and is of pretty good quality, plus having the MAF placed before the turbos has it's advantages.

The one major problem I have with the JWT kit is it's "fuel system". I would NEVER run an FMU setup with stock injectors on a car that I care about again. I made the mistake once. It led to an injector failure and a blown motor in my previous vehicle. The stock injectors aren't designed to have the kind of fuel pressure forced through them and running them near 100% duty cycle is just asking for trouble.

If JWT addressed that issue, the engine managment and oil pan, I think the JWT and APS kit would be nearly identical in performance for dollar, reliability and quality.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
beastie

Originally Posted by 350Track
Okay, I'm really out of the loop. I've seen multiple comments about Peter being banned (mentioned in other threads).

What's the story on this? Is there a thread I missed? Everyone keeps saying they've experienced APS customer service first hand, etc.

I just want to know what happened (if anything)?

People on here don't seem to be defending him or anything, but they do still promote APS products when they believe in them.
Peter got banned awhile back. I believe for advertising on this board and not paying to be a sponsor. Most people (with a few exceptions) have had bad customer service issues with APS. I don't think anyone would say their kits are not done very well but if you have a problem you are kinda on your own.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by beastie
Peter got banned awhile back. I believe for advertising on this board and not paying to be a sponsor. Most people (with a few exceptions) have had bad customer service issues with APS. I don't think anyone would say their kits are not done very well but if you have a problem you are kinda on your own.

I've found that if you deal with APS through an APS dealer in the states you can get a lot farther a lot more quickly. Several guys that had either APS TT or APS ST setups done at GRD here in IL had small issues that were taken care of very quickly when GRD contacted APS instead of the owners themselves.

It might have something to do with the way they do business over in Australia...who knows, but that's the only advice that I have.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah IMO it seems like JWT is trying so hard to get the kit to pass CARB that they skimped on certain areas like the fuel system and injectors.

The APS kit had one main goal and that was to build the best FI kit they can that addressed all the issues and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

condidering how much power it's running, I'm not thrilled by the SS box, the hot air intake, the stock injectors, and the ho-hum fuel system.

I'd definetly choose the APS kit or their tuner kit
Old 03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
beastie

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I've found that if you deal with APS through an APS dealer in the states you can get a lot farther a lot more quickly. Several guys that had either APS TT or APS ST setups done at GRD here in IL had small issues that were taken care of very quickly when GRD contacted APS instead of the owners themselves.

It might have something to do with the way they do business over in Australia...who knows, but that's the only advice that I have.
I agree with you. GRD seems to have a hotline into APS. My advice to all interested in the APS would be to take it to an authorized dealer like GRD and don't let anyone else touch it. I had no options as I live in Florida and Japtrix wasn't authorized yet. I should have shipped my car to GRD if I wanted the APS or really bought the Greddy TT from Sharif and had him do it.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Oleg

In my opinion a breakdown of a TT project's success is 15-20% for the choice of the kit and 80-85% for the ability of the installer/tuner to do a good job on this. So whoever is local to you, go with the kit that he knows better. Greddy, JWT, APS, SFR, even PE, they all have a lot of potential to make a ton of power if the shop is good or to destry the motor is the shop sucks.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Oleg
In my opinion a breakdown of a TT project's success is 15-20% for the choice of the kit and 80-85% for the ability of the installer/tuner to do a good job on this. So whoever is local to you, go with the kit that he knows better. Greddy, JWT, APS, SFR, even PE, they all have a lot of potential to make a ton of power if the shop is good or to destry the motor is the shop sucks.
+1
Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
georgec

Originally Posted by Oleg
In my opinion a breakdown of a TT project's success is 15-20% for the choice of the kit and 80-85% for the ability of the installer/tuner to do a good job on this.
I reckon you have it the wrong way around - the design, completeness and quality of an intercooled twin turbo system results in a very high success rate. So, 80% would be due to design and construction and 20% the tuner's ability imho. If you get the turbo matching, intercooler sizing, fuel system design, etc, etc, wrong from day one then there's little that the tuner can do (other than replacing many parts) to rectify those issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.

George

Quick Reply: APS TT or JWT TT?!?