Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEM EMS Now available for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:33 AM
RageWoRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
AEM is made by GEMS in England

http://www.gems.co.uk/ems/standard_aem15.html
I was saying that the Wolf3D was made by AEM Aus and it was the father of the AEM EMS (mostly just because it came before it) ... but I never said the newer AEM EMS was made in Aussie land.

-Jon

Last edited by RageWoRX; 04-15-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by RageWoRX
I was saying that the Wolf3D was made by AEM Aus and it was the father of the AEM EMS (mostly just because it came before it) ... but I never said the newer AEM EMS was made in Aussie land.

-Jon

I don't think they are the same company. Wolf has a location in the US

http://www.wolfems.com.au/company/dealers/usa
Old 04-15-2006, 09:14 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3k is great IF it produces cars like the FCON. Everyone who has spent the cash on the fcon has been very happy and it has an excellent safety record. Get some cars installed and post user impressions/#'s. That will quiet all the haters. A UTEC is no where near what you offer. All this right now is just talk.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:33 AM
RageWoRX

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
I don't think they are the same company. Wolf has a location in the US

http://www.wolfems.com.au/company/dealers/usa
Dynamic6er ... notice the .au in www.wolfems.com.au address. That usually means that site originates in Australia which is also where the Wolf3D orginates from. Now I'm not 100% sure the AEM that made the Wolf3D and the AEM that we know of here are infact linked in any way .. but I was told at one time they were .. like I said I'm not 100% on that.

Trust me Wolf3D is a system from Aus as I have worked with them and had to get them sent back to Aus for testing and for other misc parts .... yeah not cheap trust me.

But yes you are right Wolf3D does have a US HQ and I have talked to Chris many times about one of the projects I was working on ... as far as experts on the Wolf3D in the US Chris is about it ... I guess you could say I'm somewhere on that short list now (probly towards the bottom but there none the less).

The Wolf3D 3.0 and 4.0 are actually pretty nice systems and are very feature rich for thier time ... it justs seems that they were given up on and replaced with more user friendly systems.

-Jon

Last edited by RageWoRX; 04-15-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:17 PM
aalzuhair

Coming from the Subaru world I would never use a UTEC or Unichip as they are usally a great way to go through a few motors. Also most serious Subaru guys stopped using them years ago and now use EcuTek, AccessPort, Hydra Nemisis, and AEM .... the UTEC and Unichip are just old/unsafe options. The Emanage Blue/Ultimate is a decent option for the lower hp applications and a good deal price-wise but Greddy electronics have always been know to be problematic. But in the end everyone has thier own experiences and opinions so the choice is yours .... I think I've made mine.

-Jon
Can you be more specific? What's unsafe about the UTEC and why did the Subaru guys stop using it?

Thanks,

Az
Old 04-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
Can you be more specific? What's unsafe about the UTEC and why did the Subaru guys stop using it?

Thanks,

Az
There is some confusion between the Suburu UTEC's and the 350Z UTEC's. They are completely different in terms of how they control the engine. The Suburu UTEC uses MAF offset, but the 350Z UTEC allows the user to set injector pulse widths, and completely bypass the stock ECU under boost. The user has full control over fuel and timing. I see no issue with using a UTEC, even on a high whp 350Z.

The AEM EMS is certainly a nice step up, and has a vast feature set that will appeal to lots of people...including me. But it doesnt make the UTEC unsafe in any fashion.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:58 PM
RageWoRX

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
There is some confusion between the Suburu UTEC's and the 350Z UTEC's. They are completely different in terms of how they control the engine. The Suburu UTEC uses MAF offset, but the 350Z UTEC allows the user to set injector pulse widths, and completely bypass the stock ECU under boost. The user has full control over fuel and timing. I see no issue with using a UTEC, even on a high whp 350Z.

The AEM EMS is certainly a nice step up, and has a vast feature set that will appeal to lots of people...including me. But it doesnt make the UTEC unsafe in any fashion.
Very true .... they don't operate 100% the same (EJ vs VQ) and there have been updates to the UTEC system over the years ... however the base system (hardware) is still similar and pretty dated with respect to hardware.

I don't really have the time right this moment (have to get ready for UFC ) to get into the finer points of the "Newer" UTEC systems that still kind of scare me. Mabey once I get some time we can start an EMS thread with Pros and Cons of each system so we can discuss this in greater detail because I believe this is still an important issue for the growing high HP VQ crowd.

Overall it isn't a bad system (UTEC) and more than enough for some decent hp levels ... but for those looking to break new ground HP wise with the VQ or plan on pushing there setup to the bleeding edge ... I would stay away from the UTEC. Me personally from my experience .. I would never use a UTEC on a Subaru and I would definately not be using one on a VQ being pushed to the limit.

I don't know like I said its all preference so use which ever one your heart desires or your bank account can accommodate .... But I think it all comes down to the old saying ... Spend more now or Spend way more later .... its your choice.

-Jon

Last edited by RageWoRX; 04-15-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

At least provide some solid facts to your statements that it is a good way to blow motors and "it scares you".
Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

I agree Sharif. But the statement that was made by RageWoRX was kind of BOLD and would love to hear more from him on that issue .... I mean it's one thing to say that the AEM is a good ECU (I have used it on other cars and I like it) but it's another thing to say that even the UTEC hardware is not update, etc, etc ... It would be nice to hear the basis of such claims.

Az
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Well, I am sure nobody wants this to turn into an EMS war thread. I think the points were made, and we'll leave it at that. People have waited a very long time for the AEM EMS, and I know it will be a successful product for those that install it. Let AEM have their glory. SP put a lot of time effort, and money into this project, and I cant wait to get my hands on one for testing.

Larry/SP not sure if my inbox was full...please PM me back.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Havok_RLS2

I'm sorry if I missed something but did someone just say that the UTEC was crap?

After reading through this thread I still fail to see how this new AEM system is an better than the UTEC with the Tuner beside the fact that it cost more than $1000 over the UTEC systems with all the trimings.
Even after all that mumbo-jumbo AEM broom Ha-HA. Where are the dyno tests and and supporting reviews from folks who have the system installed already?
A modded AEM EMS unit not supported directly by AEM for $3000 and somehow we're all to believe that it's better than everything on the market? Riiiiiight... Forgive me for being a skeptic but that just my nature. I think it would be a lot easier to believe if someone like AAM were making all these claims with solid side-by-side comparos and data.
Who knows... Maybe I'll be eating my words in a few months and selling my UTEC on e-bay like a lot of other folks reading this thread. But not yet... Not today.

I'd like to hear what TurdoSX and AAM have to say first.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
RageWoRX

HaHa well I'm gona let this one go for a bit .... at least until we get to see some of the VQ AEM EMSs in action then we can further this discussion.

-Jon
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
lex350

Sounds interesting.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Havok_RLS2

HaHa well I'm gona let this one go for a bit .... at least until we get to see some of the VQ AEM EMSs in action then we can further this discussion.

-Jon
Thats all I'm saying. Believe me... I'd like to eat my words but it'll only be with a side order of PROOF.

Thanks RageWoRx. Looking forword to your future post to this thread and the forum.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 04-15-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
accordfreak

subscribing

can't wait to see the final results. been waiting for this unit FOREVER...
Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

+1, love AEM, can wait to see some results, prolly go FI with stock flash or unichip... save up for AEM and go all out.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:04 AM
nissansource

the one thing I was worried about was he's modding aem Universals which isnt bad but its not supported by aem. Id be worried about voided warrenty on the unit. next thing aem is a large company i doubt they would source this out to another company SP just sped up the proccess so they can use it . Id use it if aem developed the full solution. i think the price can be lowered abit. Like i said earlier i just picked up AEMS new EMS for the SRT4 with harness,braket and ems made for the dodge srt4 2275.00. sp price might be a small price to pay. i wonder what is being modded? is it modded for the ignition to control the coils?. Now that i think about it the price isnt that bad map sensor and IAT sensor with his harness.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:49 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the price of 3 grand with all the sensors, wiring, and UEGO? AND a base map?

Guys, that is a great value... its time to stop questioning the price IMHO. Sound Performance has an amazing reputation, and you are easily getting what you pay for. These guys are the real deal and have been around w/ great service and support 10 times as long as pretty much every vender on here.

And for those waiting for results... what results are you waiting for? The Sound Performance car runs on the AEM EMS... that is the result, its already running! The results are a 350z running on the AEM EMS standalone ready to be tuned to whatever your components potential contains!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:53 PM
John@Victory

3grand for something not backed by a factory warranty is my only issue. price wise it seems like a deal except for that one issue.... is the vendor going to warranty it? and if so what is it going to cover? thats really my only issue with it
Old 04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you paid about 10 times that for something not backed by a factory warranty the second you put nitrous on it

ive never seen anything performance backed by a factory warranty other then the basic rule of free replacement if its bad out of the box... after that its a manufacturer's decision if they feel like helping you down the road. i would trust Sound Performance to handle any incidents in a professional manor... and thats really the most you can ask for in this industry.

Last edited by phunk; 04-16-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Now available for 350Z