Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

No intercooler with water injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006 | 04:32 PM
trefling

Default No intercooler with water injection

Horrible idea...period. I have made some post supporting the use or atleast the idea of using boost without intercooling in substitution for intercoolers. Our Dyno tests revealed intake tems with injection were still in the 240 range Intercooling is pretty much needed for any intercooling. Theoritically enough water/meth could work, but if it quits your engine is dead.

I just wanted to be the first person to call me out for being full of shyt. Always use a intercooler.
Old 04-08-2006 | 06:12 PM
pj550v12

Originally Posted by trefling
Intercooling is pretty much needed for any intercooling.
Old 04-08-2006 | 06:26 PM
kalima275Z

double
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:44 PM
taurran

I think he's comparing the use of an intercooler to the use of no intercooler and water/meth injection.
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:07 PM
kalima275Z

ah, i see.
Old 04-09-2006 | 08:47 AM
chris'smax

Horrible idea...period. I have made some post supporting the use or atleast the idea of using boost without intercooling in substitution for intercoolers. Our Dyno tests revealed intake tems with injection were still in the 240 range Intercooling is pretty much needed for any intercooling. Theoritically enough water/meth could work, but if it quits your engine is dead.

I just wanted to be the first person to call me out for being full of shyt. Always use a intercooler.

what was the setup of the car? Also what were the temps with the intercooler?
Old 04-09-2006 | 10:18 AM
rythex

I thought meth/water injection only lowers the chance of detonation.. it doesn't lower the intake temperature like an intercooler.. I don't see why you only try to do water injection..
Old 04-09-2006 | 10:37 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by rythex
I thought meth/water injection only lowers the chance of detonation.. it doesn't lower the intake temperature like an intercooler.. I don't see why you only try to do water injection..
The water is supposed to soak up alot of the heat, which is also a big factor in detonation. But w/i was never meant to take the place of an intercooler, only add to it's efficiency.
Old 04-09-2006 | 01:29 PM
booger

Sorry to hear it didnt work . It may have been possible at lower boost levels , Did you happen to see how hot the intake temp was with out the W/M injection ?
Old 04-09-2006 | 04:49 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by booger
Sorry to hear it didnt work . It may have been possible at lower boost levels , Did you happen to see how hot the intake temp was with out the W/M injection ?
Air inlet temps were 270+F at 15psi (no meth), and 5000rpm, and we had to abort the runs (I think we made about 4 passes). With meth at the lowest setting, it dropped the temps to about 240F. At that point, trefling decided that a large FMIC would be a better approach, so we didnt experiment further.

On CPR's dyno, we placed an air inlet probe just before the TB, so you are, in fact, measuring the temp drop as a result of the meth injection.
Old 04-13-2006 | 05:44 AM
trefling

Shariff and CPRacing are top notch tuners and shop! They hooked me up with a monster intercooler and I'm back on track, big thanks!
Old 04-13-2006 | 05:54 AM
chimmike

Horrible idea...period.
thank you.

I couldn've told you running 10.3:1 compression and adding boost without intercooler was a fast route to a dead motor

the pure nature of compressing air creates heat. In order to use meth injection to correct that you'd probably need a 15gal tank just for that alone.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:05 AM
booger

Were you able to gain boost with the bigger IC ? Or sooner ?
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:49 AM
trefling

car is still with Shariff and is awaiting tune with the new HUGE intercooler
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:36 AM
Ep3

with the bigger ic are you going to do custom pipes now?
update PICS?
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Ep3
with the bigger ic are you going to do custom pipes now?
update PICS?
Yes.
Old 04-19-2006 | 08:22 AM
atlsupdawg#2

You do understand that the principle behind water/meth injection is to lower the detonation threshold in the cylinder upon compression of the air/fuel mixture? Not to lower intake temps like an intercooler.

Grand Nationals run without intercoolers at high intake temps, albeit larger turbos, and a lot of those guys run h20/meth injection or even propane. I just think measuring temps is not an accurrate way of discerning whether or not your experiment worked. The ability to run a little more aggresive timing would've been a better indication of a pass/fail.. Just my .02
Old 04-19-2006 | 08:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
You do understand that the principle behind water/meth injection is to lower the detonation threshold in the cylinder upon compression of the air/fuel mixture? Not to lower intake temps like an intercooler.

Grand Nationals run without intercoolers at high intake temps, albeit larger turbos, and a lot of those guys run h20/meth injection or even propane. I just think measuring temps is not an accurrate way of discerning whether or not your experiment worked. The ability to run a little more aggresive timing would've been a better indication of a pass/fail.. Just my .02

There was detonation gallore, for about 50rpm's before we shut it down. The intake temps were excessive, and it was unsafe to continue. An intercooler is a requirement. You arent going to tune an engine with 93 octane fuel, and 270F inlet temps....just not going to happen.

So more timing would have certainly have been a bad idea. We did this test with 13 degrees of timing, BTW.
Old 04-19-2006 | 10:59 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
There was detonation gallore, for about 50rpm's before we shut it down. The intake temps were excessive, and it was unsafe to continue. An intercooler is a requirement. You arent going to tune an engine with 93 octane fuel, and 270F inlet temps....just not going to happen.

So more timing would have certainly have been a bad idea. We did this test with 13 degrees of timing, BTW.
Hey Sharif, that post wasn't aimed at you. I should've "quoted" the original thread starters post. I do understand what you're saying though..
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
Hey Sharif, that post wasn't aimed at you. I should've "quoted" the original thread starters post. I do understand what you're saying though..
Thats cool..I didnt think it was directed to me. One other thing. Meth kits definately decrease intakes temps. Try placing your hand on your plenum after a meth run...its ice cold. There is a benifit to reduced intake temps, in addition to the combustion chamber anti-detonation effects.

Quick Reply: No intercooler with water injection