Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

465WHP on Stock Motor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
MoodDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Track
I'm interested in more cooling for my car (just for normal driving). What GOOD brands of radiators are out there for us that you recommend? I like the idea of a vented hood for functionality, but not for looks....especially if the car is a sleeper. So I guess my only options are radiator & oil cooler....or move out of Texas? Haha.
At my last all Z track day last month - the temp got up to 88F. I was the only turbo Z that didn't have a overheat issue. All I had - at that time, was an oil cooler and I cut some vents in the stock hood. Some of the other cars had the same oil cooler. So - do vents in the hood work - YES. And I live in a hotter/humid state than you!

OH - I have now added a Koyo radiator to the mix since I want to still track in the summer and don't want to sieze my engine at a track day.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by MoodDude
At my last all Z track day last month - the temp got up to 88F. I was the only turbo Z that didn't have a overheat issue. All I had - at that time, was an oil cooler and I cut some vents in the stock hood. Some of the other cars had the same oil cooler. So - do vents in the hood work - YES. And I live in a hotter/humid state than you!

OH - I have now added a Koyo radiator to the mix since I want to still track in the summer and don't want to sieze my engine at a track day.
Mods like these might be in my future then. I don't need them because I baby the car, but I love the added security these types of mods provide. A lot of people only spend money on something that's going to get the rwhp. I'm looking for safety and longevity.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mods like these might be in my future then. I don't need them because I baby the car, but I love the added security these types of mods provide. A lot of people only spend money on something that's going to get the rwhp. I'm looking for safety and longevity.
If you want safety and longevity, got with an aftermarket Radiator (the stock one is dreadfully anemic) and oil cooler. These will give you peace of mind I think with that additional safety margin.

Good luck.
--B
Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by BamBam
If you want safety and longevity, got with an aftermarket Radiator (the stock one is dreadfully anemic) and oil cooler. These will give you peace of mind I think with that additional safety margin.

Good luck.
--B
Yeah, I spent some time last night looking at these. I was looking at the Koyo radiators. I'm not sure what brand oil cooler to get though. And it looks like the mounting location can vary. I was looking at hoods too, but I'd rather not buy one of those if I don't have to...yet, I could definitely see the benefits of a vented hood.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I spent some time last night looking at these. I was looking at the Koyo radiators. I'm not sure what brand oil cooler to get though. And it looks like the mounting location can vary. I was looking at hoods too, but I'd rather not buy one of those if I don't have to...yet, I could definitely see the benefits of a vented hood.
Yea, I think the Koyo is pretty common for most of us. The oil cooler can vary. AAM put mine together because we wanted to mount it in the front bumper, so it had to be custom sized. Dave chose the Fluidyne core that would fit and ordered the appropriate piping. I believe there are some pre fabricated setups for the 350Z out there already. Greddy probably makes one.

Wait for the hood until you decide what you want. If necessary, use some washers on the hinges to raise the hood a mm or so to get s little bit of extra flow. But again, I don't necessarily think that is necessary in your case.

--B