Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

geez, I can't decide on what water injection kit to get...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006 | 11:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Default geez, I can't decide on what water injection kit to get...

I'm getting the idea that a progressive controller is the way to go and have been looking at the cooling mist kits the most

is this kit totally stupid overkill? Or is it possibly worth the $599 instead of the $400 kits?

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...id=controllerS

I'm running a vortech setup doing around 450whp or so and am looking into a W/I kit more for cooling and safety than performance
Old 05-10-2006 | 01:18 AM
gringott

Same problem here. Trying to figure out if I can get the UTEC to control a cheap kit.
Old 05-10-2006 | 02:39 AM
mistaboosta

it's better to buy a kit that has the option to use 100% methanol - 100% water or blend of 50%-50%.
Old 05-10-2006 | 06:03 AM
MIAPLAYA

If you can wait a while the Spearco/Turbonetics Water/meth kit should be released very shortly. The 350Z tuner that is assisting with this is pending install right now and the kit that will be released will be a Z/G specific kit with detailed instructions on where to mount what, etc. Spearco/Turbonetics does have a universal kit you could buy now but the Z/G specific kit will be worth the wait...
Old 05-10-2006 | 06:10 AM
gringott

Interesting Miaplaya, keep us informed.
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:01 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gringott
Interesting Miaplaya, keep us informed.
Will do...
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:16 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

how soon before we know more info about the kit? sounds like it's just a few weeks away from being done. How much will it cost?

Last edited by sentry65; 05-10-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by sentry65
how soon before we know more info about the kit? sounds like it's just a few weeks away from being done. How much will it cost?
Theres a number of reasons. A pre made tank with specified mounting hardware and equipment to place it out of the way of the motor and keep it cool. A filler tube and cap for the tank to make refills very easy (note all items installed in the engine bay or surrounding areas not in the trunk) pre-cut lines, brackets, bolts, etc purpose designed and made for the Z/G, standalone progressive controller, ultra quiet injection pump, etc, etc. As I said before you can order the universal kit now from Spearco if you want. But the Z/G specific one is being worked on by a very popular Z tuner on this board and lets just say that based on his history of work to date this kit will be worth the wait. In fact the standalone controller was so good in his opinion that he has opted to use that as opposed to using the Utec built in controller. He also mentioned the components of this kit (ie: SS nozzles etc) were far superior to other kits that he has installed. The universal kit cost is $399 and I'm sure the Z/G specific will be the same...

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 05-10-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:43 AM
RedLeader

mia-
Will the kit you're referring to allow all water, all methanol, or 50/50 as mistaboosta suggested above?
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by RedLeader
mia-
Will the kit you're referring to allow all water, all methanol, or 50/50 as mistaboosta suggested above?
Thanks,
Bruce
Heres some more info on the standalone kit (which will be modified to be Z/G specific of course)

Applications and Features:

Charge-air cooling for force induction engines
Minimizing the onset of detonation
Suitable to run water and alcohol mixtures
"Plug and Play" controller for ease of installation
All components are properly engineered for reliable operation
Intermittent diaphragm pump- more reliable than the normal windshield washer pump
Built in Thermal-Cut in water pump
Enable "Meaner & Leaner" air / fuel ratio
Increase octane rating on low grade pump fuel
Dash controller allows real-time user flow control with status LEDs
Only three wires needed to be connected for total control
Can be used with any 0-5V load sensors
Inline 100 micron stainless steel filter

Description:

The system is comprised of a dash-mounted controller and a high-pressure diaphragm pump designed to receive a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) signal from the controller.

The pump can be used with a high concentration of alcohol (75%) as well as just water alone; this is particularly useful for applications where alcohol can enhance the fuel octane or just asadditional fuel at high boost levels. It is recommended that alcohol be added for cold operating conditions.

The Dash controller only measures 2.3" x 1.4" x 0.6" tall, perfectly suited to fit into any small cockpit space. Although small in size, it contains all the necessary controls to enable the user to cover the'mid' to 'high' load range of any 0-5V output MAP sensor.

Injection triggering point is set by the 'THRESHOLD' potentiometer and is indicated by a blue LED on the controller. It is user adjustable between 1.5-4.5V. Adjustment to this potentiometer will determine the starting point of the water injection system. As shown in the chart below, 1.5V of a 2 bar MAP sensor represents approximately 0.4 bar below atmosphere (vacuum), while a 3 bar sensor represents almost atmospheric pressure.

The injection % range is set by the 'GAIN' potentiometer on the controller. As the red LED lights up, it indicates about 80% of full injection and will continue to get brighter until it approaches 100%. The gain potentiometer can be set to arrive at any level at any boost.

The water injection system can be switched off via an 'ON/OFF' push button, indicated by a green LED on the controller.

This latest 'Plug and Play' water injection from Turbonetics sets a new standard for the growing water injection market currently shared by many new water injection manufacturers.

Old 05-10-2006 | 07:49 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

where will the water tank be mounted and how big is it? Can we get different options for the size? I was thinking of getting a gallon tank instead of a 2 qt - just to help make sure I don't run out cause that might suck.

As far as the standalone controller being so good to just use it on it's own - I'm curious how it's better cause so far all the controllers look like they have basically a minimum boost **** and a maximum boost **** and that's all you gotta set up - pretty simple - how was this improved on?

edit- ah ok your post beat me
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

where will the water tank be mounted and how big is it? Can we get different options for the size? I was thinking of getting a gallon tank instead of a 2 qt - just to help make sure I don't run out cause that might suck.

As far as the standalone controller being so good to just use it on it's own - I'm curious how it's better cause so far all the controllers look like they have basically a minimum boost **** and a maximum boost **** and that's all you gotta set up - pretty simple - how was this improved on?
Most controller require the use of a solenoid in addition to the controller. The Spearco one does not due to the type of pump and signal it outputs. Again I am not installing this but this is what I was told by the shop that is making this Z/G specific. That was just one advantage mentioned. As for the tank at the moment it looks like the tank is going to sit in the fender well in between the bumper and the wheel and I believe the tank is 3/4 of a gallon. There will be a flex tube included and instructions on how to route the filler hose (with screw on cap) into the engine bay to make refills as easy as popping the hood.
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:57 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

the cooling mist W/I kits have a 40 micron filters instead of 100. On their site they go on saying other kits have 90 micron filters.

Does this kit have any sort of clog sensors like some of the cooling mist kits do?

how many psi can the pump do? The other kits can do 150psi

which side of the car will the tank be on?

Last edited by sentry65; 05-10-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:00 AM
MIAPLAYA

the cooling mist W/I kits have a 40 micron filters instead of 100. On their site they go on saying other kits have 90 micron filters.

Does this kit have any sort of clog sensors like some of the cooling mist kits do?

how many psi can the pump do? The other kits can do 150psi
I don't recall the exact pump output PSI but I belive it was 100 or close to that. At that rate no one has had an issue with atomization of the water/meth. As for the filteration 100 micron is what the Spearco engineer decided on for whatever reason. I trust their judgement. To date the kits the universal kits have been moving pretty well and the feed back from those who have installed it have been really good...

Edit:: Dammit quit editting so fast the tank will most likely be on the passenger side of the car...Ditto for the filler tube..
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:04 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

hehe sorry about the editing - trying not to be a post ***** with multiple posts

I kinda like the idea of having the water tank actually be inside of the car. The main reason is I can physically see the tank and where the water level is vs hoping it's pretty full. The water probably stays shielded from extreme weather more being inside and will stay cooler in the summer. I know the hoses would be longer though. Also weight distribution etc

btw thanks for answering questions and posting info

I'm probably going to be mounting an oil cooler where that kit is having the water tank mounted and don't want to screw myself

Last edited by sentry65; 05-10-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:09 AM
gringott

I was looking at some big Jaz tanks to mount in the rear by the strut - maybe I am wrong, but the weight back there should help with traction. And my bumper wells are full now, and will be fuller later!
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

hehe sorry about the editing - trying not to be a post ***** with multiple posts

I kinda like the idea of having the water tank actually be inside of the car. The main reason is I can physically see the tank and where the water level is vs hoping it's pretty full. The water probably stays shielded from extreme weather more being inside and will stay cooler in the summer. I know the hoses would be longer though. Also weight distribution etc

btw thanks for answering questions and posting info

I'm probably going to be mounting an oil cooler where that kit is having the water tank mounted and don't want to screw myself
If thats the case you can still buy the universal kit and accomplish those goals but most people prefer to not take up the little trunk space we have with a tank of water...but each person is different of course...
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gringott
I was looking at some big Jaz tanks to mount in the rear by the strut - maybe I am wrong, but the weight back there should help with traction. And my bumper wells are full now, and will be fuller later!
I think you'll find that tank included is less obtrusive then you think. Like I said its still being installed/tailored so when I have pics of it I'll get them up right away...
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:17 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

yeah I honestly don't use my trunk space all that much and with a 1 gallon tank you only lose like half a square foot, though I guess the pump has to be mounted somewhere too which is kinda ugly
Old 05-10-2006 | 08:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

yeah I honestly don't use my trunk space all that much and with a 1 gallon tank you only lose like half a square foot, though I guess the pump has to be mounted somewhere too which is kinda ugly
Well like I said when the kit is done being fit for the Z/G i'll get as many pics as I can up...most of the input on tank placement etc came directly from the Z tuner who is doing the work and I trust his judgement 100%

Quick Reply: geez, I can't decide on what water injection kit to get...