Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DIY turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
veilside350zTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also another thing to think of is your time.. Im not sure how much free time you got.. but if your like me you dont have much.. So if you take time off work you gotta consider that $$ that your losing
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 AM
redline350ZZ

Meh arent most aftermarket headers designed for NA and not the heat of Turbo...need to get them coated...

Glad I got my Turbonetics kit for 4200 best deal ever....
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
has no one else ever looked at a TN single and thought, hey i could do that. As I am beginning to start a budget civic project car, (i plan on running mid 12's with only $1300 invested including car) i've been think a lot of designing my own turbo kit for the Z. I put together a pretty nice one for my 240sx, and a better one on an Integra.

I know this sounds kinda weird but i honestly can't see why it couldnt be done. Doing intercooler piping is rediculously easy, so in all honesty a TT setup maybe even easier. I've spent most of my week on JGStools.com and homemadeturbo.com trying to see if it was possible.

Has anyone made any manifolds for the Z yet? It seems like this is the hardest obsticule.

Also, as weird as this thread may seem to some people, i am serious and would like to see if it can be done. Any useful comments would be appreciated.
I say go for it. Friend of mine made his own single turbo kit for his supra. Different engine i know. But if you know what all is needed for the build, i see no reason why you could not build the kit.

Some one needs to try it

Later
Aceman
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 AM
bhk1004

Originally Posted by bhk1004
u
wow... i was reading this thread and feel asleep and make a 1 letter post...
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 AM
abyss

Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 AM
bhk1004

and now i literally just woke up and typed this, and now I wrote feel instead of fell and make instead of made... im just a retard in the making. okay now keep up the work on how I can homemake my own turbo
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
bacalhau16

i'll have to look at the e-bay headers, but i think for longevity and strength making custom manifolds may be cheaper. I consider the manifolds so cheap only because...

flange x2 $30
t section x2 $46.50
90 degree elbow x4 $38
wall radius plate x2 $40
t3 inlet flanges x2 $50
t3 dp flangees x2 $60

so i have $265 in parts but i know i can find flanges cheaper on e-bay, or i can just make the inlet, and dp flanges while im making the header flange. These are pretty small and simple manifolds so I'm pretty sure the guy i go to will weld them for about $150. that still leaves me $285 to see if i can get them heat treated.

another thing i take can take advantage of is, giving it to the nearby vocational school, and have a teacher their do it while he is teaching the class how. They dont charge a lot, if at all, and its done by a teacher who has been welding for years.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:54 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were going really Cheap, Could you not Put a single, Non IC turbo in the spot where Vortech puts their SC? Just re-rout the exhaust from the Y Pipe arround to the turbo and back down and re-connect it to the Y pipe again? Granted you would have to have someone with some Pipe Bending Skill and a Good Welder.. But it could be done to get 4-5 lbs of boost flowing in..

From what I understand the stock ECU is good for up to 6psi right?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll have to look at the e-bay headers, but i think for longevity and strength making custom manifolds may be cheaper. I consider the manifolds so cheap only because...

flange x2 $30
t section x2 $46.50
90 degree elbow x4 $38
wall radius plate x2 $40
t3 inlet flanges x2 $50
t3 dp flangees x2 $60

so i have $265 in parts but i know i can find flanges cheaper on e-bay, or i can just make the inlet, and dp flanges while im making the header flange. These are pretty small and simple manifolds so I'm pretty sure the guy i go to will weld them for about $150. that still leaves me $285 to see if i can get them heat treated.

another thing i take can take advantage of is, giving it to the nearby vocational school, and have a teacher their do it while he is teaching the class how. They dont charge a lot, if at all, and its done by a teacher who has been welding for years.
you are forgetting your jig build time and costs. you will have to have one to set it up. i am guessing it would take ya atleast 10-12 hours to build them, correctly. you will need to make your own merge to go into the turbo manifold. not easy to do and they will have to have bends in them. that will up your bend cost times 6. the exhaust runner is also an oval. now if you plan to keep it even length runners, you have got a ton of figuring to do, plus hours worth of taking the manifolds on and off the car checking fitment. also, clearance for the wastegates (if you are going external).
not trying to discourage at all, but this is something that isn't going to happen in a weekend, lol. also, if you are only getting 2 flanges, you are going to have to find someone really bored with a laser cutter to program the exhaust flange for ya, and then to cut only 2. you will prolly be looking more about $200. your best bet is ebay headers, then make your merge and flange. just put a stand off going to the block off the turbo to support it. that will help cracking.
let us know how it goes. if you were getting your bends off ebay, you are welcome to go through me, lol. cause you would prolly be getting them from my guys anyways, lol. race solutions. we have alum. for the intercooler piping also.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
bacalhau16

i'd like to say that right now, i'm just pricing out everything to see if this could be a affordable option. until then, this is all just speculation and conversation.

sq40, i guess that would be a pretty simple thing, but thats even a little to ghetto for me. im looking more to make something that would compete with other companies. Not so much in overall quality and looks, but perhaps rival with some good numbers.

i will have to look into the header option a little more. i honestly cant say i looked at seriously enough to consider it. Perhaps i am underestimating the custom manifold thing. I will have to take my plan to my welder and see how much he wants to do it.

do you think that a TT setup perhaps is a little too complicated and maybe i should try to put together a single turbo. I can't say i have a lot of time in the world, but i do have 3 days off a week and i only deliver pizza and drive a limo every now and then, so i have a lot of time on my hands for thinking.

im trying to put together a competitivly priced set-up, that doesnt look stupid when you see that someone is selling their used greddy kit for only $4k!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think this is really doable without a lot of trial and error(time and $$$), but its nice to see people thinking baout things like this. Good luck with everything if you end up trying this though.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by sq40
Could you not Put a single, Non IC turbo in the spot where Vortech puts their SC?

NO NO NO NO NO!!! No IC = REALLY STUPID IDEA.

btw, SQ, have you ever seen a TN kit before? you basically described it. And 'rerouting' the exhaust is a LOT harder, and a LOT tighter than you think.

doing a twin setup, two decent turbos alone are $600+ each. There's $1200+ right there for turbos. There's a LOT more involved than you think.......I'm seeing this now. a V engine makes a lot of things a lot more difficult.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
bacalhau16

actually i had a super 60 on my 240sx and was happy with the results. so i would consider doing dual super 60's which cost a lot less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...65924107QQrdZ1

now ebay might not be cool with all of you, but i've had plenty of success with it, so i have no problem buying stuff of ebay. lets not turn this into an ebay sucks thread.

i completly understand that this will take a lot of time, but im hoping if done right the first time, it will not require a ton of money.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Metal Heart

... im hoping if done right the first time, it will not require a ton of money...

That's the gamble dude. You willing to take it?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
bacalhau16

well i understand its perhaps a gamble, but i also understand that to get it right the first time, is gonna probably require a lot of time. i'm still not sure that this can be done effectively the first time. I'm not 100%, thats why im trying to get ideas from everyone so keep it coming.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
chimmike

super 60s are crappy turbos man. If you're gonna go to this trouble, do it right the first time. If anything, pick up a pair of T28s. New.....not ebay, and definitely not from the ssautochrome or whatever company. Most of those turbos have their comp housings GLUED together!

of course, turbos are of the least concern. Piping is gonna be the biggest issue. I still don't think you know what you're getting into.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Metal Heart

Originally Posted by chimmike
super 60s are crappy turbos man. If you're gonna go to this trouble, do it right the first time. If anything, pick up a pair of T28s. New.....not ebay, and definitely not from the ssautochrome or whatever company. Most of those turbos have their comp housings GLUED together!

of course, turbos are of the least concern. Piping is gonna be the biggest issue. I still don't think you know what you're getting into.
Yeah ... talk to pheonixturbo They have good brand new turbos at very good prices.
www.cheapturbo.com
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha! This will be a nightmare man. Trust me! If anyone would know it would be me. I lost $8000 doing what you are doing. Granted I was told $4000 to start (just like you are dreaming) things will sky rocket. Granted that the kit worked and the only issues that I had which ended up costing me my motor and my dreams of FI (for now) was that the company screwed me over in a horrible way.

www.putfile.com/quamen
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM
bacalhau16

i understand that super 60's may not be the best of turbo's but im not sure a t28 is any better, unless you meant gt28rs, then we're talking about a good turbo. Super 60's will get the job done and flow the 400-450whp that i would be shooting for.

Quamen, if you dont mind, i remember seeing your thread about your car blowing up, buy i dont recall your set-up. List it here because it would benefit this thread greatly, in comparing what i want to do and what your shop did. thanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the link in my post above.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo kit