Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DIY turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Ok. Good. I prolly should have stated that in the first post. Sorry again.
No worries...maybe I was overanxious in my reply.... If your intention is to build your own custom turbo kit what size turbo do you plan to run. This I think will be the single largest hurdle to overcome.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest I don't know yet. I was considering a T60 since it works well for the TN kit and everyone seems to love it. The only thing that I was considering was a water cooled Garret turbo because the turbo will be right under the coolant manifold so it would be optimal positioning for it. However, those are mad money. I am looking to get low 500's on high boost (building a motor also) and low 400's on low boost (daily).

I more so want to lighten my car so that it handles better and does not need as much power to get going. Then I wont need tons of power.

Do you have any suggestions as to a single turbo that would meet those power goals. I know that turbonetics is good and so is garret. Is there any other companies that produce good turbos? I would perfer ball bearing but it may not even be necessary for the levels I am looking at. Then again it may be.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
G.Ride

To be honest I don't know yet. I was considering a T60 since it works well for the TN kit and everyone seems to love it. The only thing that I was considering was a water cooled Garret turbo because the turbo will be right under the coolant manifold so it would be optimal positioning for it. However, those are mad money. I am looking to get low 500's on high boost (building a motor also) and low 400's on low boost (daily).

I more so want to lighten my car so that it handles better and does not need as much power to get going. Then I wont need tons of power.

Do you have any suggestions as to a single turbo that would meet those power goals. I know that turbonetics is good and so is garret. Is there any other companies that produce good turbos? I would perfer ball bearing but it may not even be necessary for the levels I am looking at. Then again it may be.

Precision Turbos are Garretts, but cheaper
Old 07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Quamen

That is what I thought. I know that a garret makes stuff for a bunch of companies (I believe they even make some of the parts for HKS if I am not mistaken).

Is there a size that you would recommend?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
MIAPLAYA

You could use a 62-1/Stage V. And BTW Turbonetics makes water cooled turbos also. The 62-1 would give you low 500s at the 15-20 PSI range...and mid 400s in the 8-10 range...It would have almost the EXACT same spool up as the regular Turbonetics kit too. 62-1 compressor/Stage V turbine ceramic ball bearing...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Quamen

That is what you are running is it not MIA. Isn't that a machined out T60 basically?

Is that something I could get watercooled and if so do you know about how much those run price wise?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Quamen

I like Turbonetics and they were my first choice as the T70 I had previously spooled up amazingly quick for that size and I loved it. I think that would be a bit overkill for my need even though I measured it and I would be able to fit a T70 if I wanted to.

Other than that I was going to get my BOV and wastegate from TN. More than likely I will get nearly everything from TN such as the hose couplers and intercooler also.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
MIAPLAYA

That is what you are running is it not MIA. Isn't that a machined out T60 basically?

Is that something I could get watercooled and if so do you know about how much those run price wise?
No I run the out of box 60-1/Stage V that comes with the Turbonetics kit. The 62-1 compressor is a slightly larger compressor that delivers about 10-15% more flow then the 60-1. The turbine wheel I recommended is exactly the same thing I run. Yes it can be had watercooled. MSRP is $1528. It can be had for around $1223 from most Turbonetics dealers though. I know for sure Mossy Performance can do it for that price. Maybe a little less. Whats your budget?

BTW that price is for the following:

62-1 compressor
Stage V turbine
Ceramic Ball Bearing
Water cooled bearing housing
you specify the A/R and turbine housing style as well has compressor housing style. That is balanced and delivered ready to go out of box.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

I like Turbonetics and they were my first choice as the T70 I had previously spooled up amazingly quick for that size and I loved it. I think that would be a bit overkill for my need even though I measured it and I would be able to fit a T70 if I wanted to.

Other than that I was going to get my BOV and wastegate from TN. More than likely I will get nearly everything from TN such as the hose couplers and intercooler also.
In that case please feel free to visit THIS site. I have all the part numbers you could want for EVERYTHING Turbonetics sells on there.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Quamen

Well I spent $1800 on my T70 the first time around. Actually I am sure that I got ripped off (kicks self in the a$$) by NCR.

Right now my budget is fairly big. I can afford a $1300 turbo if need be. The turbo is my next purchase as I need that in order to make the hot piping.

Thanks for the site MIA!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Quamen

Do you know what the dimensions are on the turbo by chance or where I could get them?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well I spent $1800 on my T70 the first time around. Actually I am sure that I got ripped off (kicks self in the a$$) by NCR.

Right now my budget is fairly big. I can afford a $1300 turbo if need be. The turbo is my next purchase as I need that in order to make the hot piping.

Thanks for the site MIA!
Like I said contact Mossy Performance and they may be able to do a better deal than that on the turbo. Especially if you are planning to buy a bunch of other Turbonetics stuff. On that site in MISC parts I have part numbers and descriptions of all the different hose clamps, couplers, bellows, fittings, and everything else you could want.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

Do you know what the dimensions are on the turbo by chance or where I could get them?
I didnt put them up cause they were cut off but here:

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downlo...eries_dims.pdf

Edit:

this page may help more:

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_dimensions.htm
Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Yes we updated the flanges.We have made quite a few changes along the ways.The waterjet guy gets mad at us because he is changing the damn things all the time but finally we have something that we are happy with.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Quamen

Can you post some pictures Tim? I would be interested in buying a set off of you if you are okay with that.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
bacalhau16

so then you want to do a TT setup? So what turbos are you thinking about using with that setup?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM
G.Ride

why no interest in the GT series turbos?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Quamen

This will be a single turbo kit. Last time I checked the GT series seemed to be quite high priced. Not saying they are overpriced because that is a big difference, but I have just had experience with TN so I feel comfortable. If you can give me any info on them that would be much appreciated or any suggestions.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Quamen

Oh, and I was asking for pictures of the flanges. I am not interested in the headers, just the flanges if possible.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
G.Ride

This will be a single turbo kit. Last time I checked the GT series seemed to be quite high priced. Not saying they are overpriced because that is a big difference, but I have just had experience with TN so I feel comfortable. If you can give me any info on them that would be much appreciated or any suggestions.

Well for one thing, yes they are more costly but theres are reasons. For one, they are dual ball bearing, which if you didnt know bring up quicker full boost spool times. Different wheels as well.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo kit