Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree he is in a bad state and we shouldn't be bashing him.. we should be helping him.. but Ashmo.. your statment of a kit should come with an A/F and Boost Gauge is just out of this world.. i don't think any Aftermarket kit comes with a boost and a/f gauge.. a matter of fact.. i think the only Turbo car from the factory that comes with a boost gauge is the Subaru ..
Old 06-12-2006, 06:24 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the point everyone is making is that without a good boost gauge or wideband you would never know if there was an install error. Hell the wastegate signal line could have melted half way through his test drive and could have been hittind 20 PSI. But without a boost gauge or wideband to look at to make sure the install was correct I would NEVER flog a car. I don't care who does the install or who makes the kit install error is a very REAL possibility. Hell Peking is a perfect example. His shop installed his kit (a reputable one he thought) but failed to modify the fuel pressure regulator as stated in the instructions and he ended up with 70+ of fuel pressure making his car run like ****. I've seen countless times on other kits where "shops" put the wastegate boost signal line in the wrong spot. Instead of opening the wastegate at 8 PSI it was keeping it closed permanently. Luckily they usually also mess up the BOV signal port so the BOV opens at 3 PSI of boost and the only damage is the car runs like crap. The point being there are hundreds of places an install could go wrong regardless of how knowledgeable the installer is and regardless of the tpye of kit. If you pinch the APS pressure signal to their FPR guess what, no rising fuel pressure. Any kit is susceptable to this. That is why you install gauges. So when you get your car back you can make sure the install was done right and the car is running properlly before you go ***** out on it..
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

you sure as hell are lucky if your dealer replaces your motor under warranty despite the fact that a turbo kit was installed and it spun a bearing. Even if they did the install.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I am not trying to be confrontational but it to me it would seem like a good decision for FI kit manufactures to include something in their kits to protect their reputation. Granted if you screw up the kit install, screwing up the gauge install is plausible. Anyway, getting pissed off and telling people off really doesn't do much.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:38 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I am not trying to be confrontational but it to me it would seem like a good decision for FI kit manufactures to include something in their kits to protect their reputation. Granted if you screw up the kit install, screwing up the gauge install is plausible. Anyway, getting pissed off and telling people off really doesn't do much.
what is the difference between the FI Manufactuer bumping the Kit price $200 to include a boost gauge or you buying the boost gauge after for $200

i think the difference here is.. most people like to choose their own boost gauges.. if i had the option i wouldn't buy the gauge with the kit, i would go with what i like.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 AM
nissansource

wastegate signal melting?? unless he had it wired for a boost controler he wont boost more then reqired at least thats from my experiance. unless the vacume is altered from both sides of the gate it wont boost more then required from the spring

Last edited by nissansource; 06-12-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:36 AM
nissansource

**** happends sucks that he spun a bearing. maybe his motor was a slouch and gave with the power increase
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
wastegate signal melting?? unless he had it wired for a boost controler he wont boost more then reqired
Um it should. The wastegate is designed to stay closed until 9 PSI of pressure builds underneath it to force the valve open. If the pressure is never introduced the valve shouldnt open...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer could have not filled it to proper oil levels and due to lack of oil spun a rod bearing. Truth is we likely wont know what caused the failure now, but it is pretty damn disturbing reading that people are still naive enough to do a FI install- on their own or have somebody do it, and not do a boost and WB guage. He could have checked to see if he was too lean, overboosting, underboosting, whatever. Unbelievable how people skimp on $50on a boost guage, now he's gonna get a$$ raped at a dealer for a new block + labor. Tough, expensive lesson hopefuly learned.

To the guy saying kits should come with a boost guage
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 AM
nissansource

did mossy do the install? what dealer did it? and this is why i do everything myself on my car. only thing i didnt do and let someone touch my car was the suspension adjustment
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Ahsmo

as much as they want to build a good kit, they're in business to make money. If they include a boost gauge, that's one thing. but there are 40 different boost gauges out there and nobody wants the same as the next person.

also, if they were to include a wideband they'd basically be promoting that each dumbass tunes his own car, which will lead to exponentially higher engine failures.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by chimmike
as much as they want to build a good kit, they're in business to make money. If they include a boost gauge, that's one thing. but there are 40 different boost gauges out there and nobody wants the same as the next person.

also, if they were to include a wideband they'd basically be promoting that each dumbass tunes his own car, which will lead to exponentially higher engine failures.

makes sense
Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Hell Peking is a perfect example. His shop installed his kit (a reputable one he thought) but failed to modify the fuel pressure regulator as stated in the instructions and he ended up with 70+ of fuel pressure making his car run like ****.
Yeah no kidding, along with some other things they did or didn't do that I had to go back and double check on

But thanks to Sharif@ForgedPerformance and Eric@CPRace things are good

Very hard to find good places to go for working on the car.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
josh846

More than likely whoever installed it installed the TN kit by the instructions. Which therefore had the wastegate turned to the wrong side allowing for 25-30lb of boost. The shop that did mine installed it like it said, then took it and put it on the dyno, and it shot up to almost 30psi, they then looked at the wastegate and noticed it didn't look right. Anyway it is a mistake in the Instructions from Turbonetics, and they have not fixed it. I called AAM and they said that the directions are wrong, that you have to install it opposite of what they say.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by josh846
More than likely whoever installed it installed the TN kit by the instructions. Which therefore had the wastegate turned to the wrong side allowing for 25-30lb of boost. The shop that did mine installed it like it said, then took it and put it on the dyno, and it shot up to almost 30psi, they then looked at the wastegate and noticed it didn't look right. Anyway it is a mistake in the Instructions from Turbonetics, and they have not fixed it. I called AAM and they said that the directions are wrong, that you have to install it opposite of what they say.
I beg to differ. Here are the install instructions: http://turboneticsownersclub.com/tur...icsinstman.pdf

Heres a cut and paste from those instructions:

Install (1) 1/8” NPT x 5/32” hose fitting into the bottom port of the wastegate, and (1) 1/8” NPT x 5/32” hose
fitting into the top port of the blow-off valve, pointed out in FIGURE 78.
86. Cut approx. 2.5 feet of 5/32” vacuum hose (P/N 30542-BK), and route the hose from the upper intake plenum
(port shown in FIGURE 79) to the blow-off valve fitting. Cut approx. 2.5 feet of the same hose, and route it
from the fitting on the wastegate to the fitting on the compressor housing (installed in step# 60). Loosely zip
tie the hose as desired. NOTE: The operation of these turbocharger control devices rely on these hoses for
pneumatic signals, so do NOT pinch or crimp the hose in any way.

That is 100% accurate. The bottom port of the wastegate is the lower port furthest away from the Turbonetics logo. The upper port of the BOV is the port closest to the logo. This isn't rocket science and the instructions are correct.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chimmike
would you buy a car without a speedometer?
if it were a porsche 911 turbo...yes...bad analogy
Old 06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright to help straighten some of this out. I didn't have a boost gauge because I was intending on driving the car straight to a tuning shop nearby and have them install a boost gauge, a/f monitor, then have it all tuned by them cause I have heard of these systems running very rich. That WAS my intention, but didn't even get down the street before it broke.

Good news though, the dealership doing the work is going to replace the engine with a brand new one and will all be covered under the factory warranty. So nothing comes out of pocket. Now my problem has changed how should I treat a brand new motor. Never had a new engine before. Should I have the turbo installed and just drive it very easy for a couple thousand miles or should I just drive the car w/out the turbo. Either way the boost gauge and the wideband a/f monitor will be installed with the turbo.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
doug

take the kit off... find a reputable shop near by.. *cough* VRT *cough* then break the car in for a couple thousand miles.. or ask *cough* VRT *cough* what to do
Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by redman333
Alright to help straighten some of this out. I didn't have a boost gauge because I was intending on driving the car straight to a tuning shop nearby and have them install a boost gauge, a/f monitor, then have it all tuned by them cause I have heard of these systems running very rich. That WAS my intention, but didn't even get down the street before it broke.

Good news though, the dealership doing the work is going to replace the engine with a brand new one and will all be covered under the factory warranty. So nothing comes out of pocket. Now my problem has changed how should I treat a brand new motor. Never had a new engine before. Should I have the turbo installed and just drive it very easy for a couple thousand miles or should I just drive the car w/out the turbo. Either way the boost gauge and the wideband a/f monitor will be installed with the turbo.
Wait you never had a new motor? Did you buy the car new?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM
20"makavelli

damn a brand new motor that seems a little weird, something brakes on ur car after going F/I and the shop will buy you a new MOTOR damn give me the address for this place

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns