Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 20"makavelli
damn a brand new motor that seems a little weird, something brakes on ur car after going F/I and the shop will buy you a new MOTOR damn give me the address for this place
its a dealership.. and nissan usa is probably footing the bill
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM
woodstock300s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the preset tubonetics ecu reflash at 8 psi safe to run on the vq's?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:36 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not buy the car new, I had just bought the car about three months ago. It's an '03. I've decided not to have them put on the kit and find someone else to do the work but now I've just wasted $850 that they charged for a ****ty install. Well actully I guess it paid for a brand new engine though, not too bad. Anyway I still want the kit on my car but just not looking for high horsepower anymore, first I'll go for reliability. I'm also not looking to spend a lot of money just to get another shop to put on the turbo again. But if thats what it takes than so be it. I know there's some people out there that work at shops, give me some prices on install. I also want to add the boost guage and a/f guage. And if an Engine management system would be a good idea than that also. Just looking for prices for now.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by woodstock300s
is the preset tubonetics ecu reflash at 8 psi safe to run on the vq's?
Yes.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by redman333
I did not buy the car new, I had just bought the car about three months ago. It's an '03. I've decided not to have them put on the kit and find someone else to do the work but now I've just wasted $850 that they charged for a ****ty install. Well actully I guess it paid for a brand new engine though, not too bad. Anyway I still want the kit on my car but just not looking for high horsepower anymore, first I'll go for reliability. I'm also not looking to spend a lot of money just to get another shop to put on the turbo again. But if thats what it takes than so be it. I know there's some people out there that work at shops, give me some prices on install. I also want to add the boost guage and a/f guage. And if an Engine management system would be a good idea than that also. Just looking for prices for now.
well that explains a lot. Who knows what the previous owner did to that car. But we also don't know if something else was wrong either....
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to finish the thread. I have since had the new engine installed, the turbo kit was put back on with the new engine. I still didn't trust the install even though they promised it would work. Istarted the car and drove it directly onto a flat bed truck and brought it to GTMotorsports. They have given me a lot of info that I needed. They checked the install for me and said that the waste gate was set wrong. But they also installed an aam fuel return system, utec, defi egt-boost-oil pressure guages, 565cc injectors, and of course a good tune. Now the car has been running great. I can beat the crap out of it without worry. This little incedent has taught me alot. I will be going for a built motor soon. Thanks for all the information.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
DMK

Haha, good job.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
lemansz20
Banned

Nice end to a bad beginning lol. I still dont care what anyone says, and dont try flaming me with all your crap. That ecu reflash is worthless, and a complete waste of time. Dont let people get you down man, barely anyone knows the details of how a motor works and what not. Everyone just trys to act like they do. Miaplaya knows his stuff and never gives an answer that could **** you off.(HAHA Unless its an argument for aps lol still cant get over those old threads lol, what a mess) Lesson learned, you made a mistake and didnt know EXACTLY what you were getting into.
Im on my 3rd motor and I know a thing or 2 about motors and turbos, But I sure as hell wouldnt be able to say I know EXACTLY how everything works. Sometimes people on this forum expect so much, when in reality they forget that people have lives and are not focused on their cars as much as they are. I love my car and take care of it, but at the end of the day I could really give 3 ****s about how a motor works lol. GOOD LUCK with the new motor and just make sure you respect the car for what it is. A heavily modified non turbo car, with a turbo on it now. Be safe.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:52 PM
JimRHIT

Just to finish the thread. I have since had the new engine installed, the turbo kit was put back on with the new engine. I still didn't trust the install even though they promised it would work. Istarted the car and drove it directly onto a flat bed truck and brought it to GTMotorsports. They have given me a lot of info that I needed. They checked the install for me and said that the waste gate was set wrong. But they also installed an aam fuel return system, utec, defi egt-boost-oil pressure guages, 565cc injectors, and of course a good tune. Now the car has been running great. I can beat the crap out of it without worry. This little incedent has taught me alot. I will be going for a built motor soon. Thanks for all the information.
Did you buy the car used from Mossy Oceanside?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
G Money

I have been reading this thread and it sure sounds like everyone is so quick to blame all but the people to whom the blame lies. Blame the previous owner and the guy for not doing research, what's up with that? Simple fact is that if the dealer messed up on the install it's THEIR fault. He drove it down the freaking street and it blew up! If it was a bad part then it's the manufacturers fault. But the car should never have blown up if the dealer did the proper checking to be sure that everything was working, even if there was a bad part. Personally, I would hold the installers responsible. I wouldn’t even install a mouse on a computer without checking it out to see if it’s functioning properly, much less a FI kit. Something was obviously not right when he left or it wouldn't have blown up so quickly. It sounds like the dealership is stepping up to the plate and taking the responsibility as they should. It's not dude's fault that the dealer did a ****ty install, and no amount of him doing research will put knowledge into the dealer’s head. Besides, it sounds like he did do his research and had a good plan. He was driving to another shop to get the boost gauge installed, give him a break.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by G Money
I wouldn’t even install a mouse on a computer without checking it out to see if it’s functioning properly
And how do you plan to do that?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the mouses A/F ratio of course !!!!

JET
Old 11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
G Money

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
And how do you plan to do that?
Hahahaha. You've got to be kidding me right? I guess you are the type of person who would build an airplane and just assume that it will function properly since you followed the instructions. You wanna know how to test a mouse after you install it? Simple, you put it through it's paces to make sure it moves the cursor and the mouse buttons work as expected. In other words you test your install.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
JimRHIT

so ...

I wouldn’t even install a mouse on a computer without checking it out to see if it’s functioning properly.
and then ....

You wanna know how to test a mouse after you install it? Simple, you put it through it's paces to make sure it moves the cursor and the mouse buttons work as expected. In other words you test your install.
such a risk taker you are ... installing that mouse, not knowing it would work and completely contradicting yourself in the process.

ps - its called QC ... someone/machine at Microsoft, Logitech etc tests the mice before they are packaged
Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by lemansz20
Nice end to a bad beginning lol. I still dont care what anyone says, and dont try flaming me with all your crap. That ecu reflash is worthless, and a complete waste of time. Dont let people get you down man, barely anyone knows the details of how a motor works and what not. Everyone just trys to act like they do. Miaplaya knows his stuff and never gives an answer that could **** you off.(HAHA Unless its an argument for aps lol still cant get over those old threads lol, what a mess) Lesson learned, you made a mistake and didnt know EXACTLY what you were getting into.
Im on my 3rd motor and I know a thing or 2 about motors and turbos, But I sure as hell wouldnt be able to say I know EXACTLY how everything works. Sometimes people on this forum expect so much, when in reality they forget that people have lives and are not focused on their cars as much as they are. I love my car and take care of it, but at the end of the day I could really give 3 ****s about how a motor works lol. GOOD LUCK with the new motor and just make sure you respect the car for what it is. A heavily modified non turbo car, with a turbo on it now. Be safe.
Talk about contradictions?

If you think you know how a motor works then you sure have a funny way of showing it by making all of these waste-of-space posts that make absolutely no sense.

Oh, and paying someone to rebuild your motor for you 2 times does not constitute knowledge on any level. It almost sounds like the exact opposite to me.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:32 PM
lemansz20
Banned

Seriously man, if I pissed you off in some way I apologize for it. You really dont have to come out anymore and bein a d***. Im sorry I cant build a motor myself, b/c I dont have the tools or area to do it. Take it as you will I apologized to you, whats done is done. I hope maybe we can meet up some day and actually ride out together without these problems.

chris
Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Zexy

The kit was the basic turbonetics st kit so I had nothing installed for boost gauge or a wide band afr. As far as leeboyNY post, thats exactly what I've been doing and I'm also getting in touch with some reputable shops in my area to help me out to. It may have been a dumb move getting into this without the knowledge needed but am learning the hard way.

The shop got back in touch with me and said that I had spun a rod bearing. Once again I have to look up what that means but if you can help it would be appreciated.

Wow man. Definately do some research next time before you take such a big plunge.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by lemansz20
Seriously man, if I pissed you off in some way I apologize for it. You really dont have to come out anymore and bein a d***. Im sorry I cant build a motor myself, b/c I dont have the tools or area to do it. Take it as you will I apologized to you, whats done is done. I hope maybe we can meet up some day and actually ride out together without these problems.

chris
No worries. I like to debate these issues on the forums and don't let it carry over in any way in-person. Ask some of the APS guys and they'll tell you. I just don't like people saying somethign doesn't work or is worthless when it in fact is not.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:45 AM
redline350ZZ

What causes a Spun rod bearing?
A. Oil starvation?
B. Detonation/ pre-ignition?
C. Over boosting?
D. all of the above.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 AM
chimmike

in my experience, rod bearings are spun due to oil starvation. If you overboost/detonate, your rod itself or the piston is likely to go first.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns