Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit just installed, safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:57 AM
LODOSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

850 is a pretty damn good price though.

AAM charged me 1400..

my 100% stock engine/car at 3000 miles went with the TN kit. It was put on the dyno after the install and it just died.. looking at the dyno that I was provided with, something was terribly wrong.. it was making only 200-220 hp all the way till 5500 rpm and then power went to 300+ and thats when the engine went too... to me.. it sounded like an issue with the MAF/TB not setup correctly.... I was told that it drove fine when they test drove it...

I am sure some of you probabaly witnessed this. it was on the day when they had the BBQ cookout.

Luckily i was able to get a new engine in the car but had to end up putting out another grand to get the kit reinstalled. price is good.... but still..

Last edited by LODOSS; 11-09-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
HARRYPOTTER

been driving my Turbonetics kit without ANY GAUGES and nothing YET (8,000 miles)...thank god...but I know about engines.....it's true you should have some knoledge and a gauge to keep an eye on things. But I got mine installed with an Apexi three inch exhaust, and it's been fine....

these things happen sometimes...don't let that steer you from FI.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LODOSS
850 is a pretty damn good price though.

AAM charges me 1400..

my 100% stock engine/car at 3000 miles went with the TN kit. It was put on the dyno after the install and it just died.. looking at the dyno that I was provided with, something was terribly wrong.. it was making only 200-220 hp all the way till 5500 rpm and then power went to 300+ and thats when the engine went too... to me.. it sounded like an issue with the MAF/TB not setup correctly.... I was told that it drove fine when they test drove it...

I am sure some of you probabaly witnessed this. it was on the day when they had the BBQ cookout.

Luckily i was able to get a new engine in the car but had to end up putting out another grand to get the kit reinstalled. price is good.... but still..
Who installed the kit that blew your motor to pieces? Why did they continue to run the car if there was obviously a problem below 5500RPM? Was this AAM?

They provided no explanation?

You let them reinstall your kit again?

JET
Old 11-09-2006, 12:56 PM
nissansource

I drove mine without gauges self install for a week drove up and down street normal for about 5 times.. then drove to redline half throttle 2 times and then it was to the woood the rest of the time running like a champ. sorry about your misfortune
Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
taurran

Running a new turbo kit install withtout gauges installed and a dyno run is the automotive equivalent of russian roulette. If you do this and your motor is still fine you've just beat the odds.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
STREETTRENZ MAG
Banned

sorry to chime in on this but i think people will want to read this

https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-off-topic/229440-just-to-let-everyone-know.html
Old 11-09-2006, 03:11 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Who installed the kit that blew your motor to pieces? Why did they continue to run the car if there was obviously a problem below 5500RPM? Was this AAM?

They provided no explanation?

You let them reinstall your kit again?

JET
I don't know who installed it.. but i was told that he just moved from the nissan dealer there and my car was his first Turbo install at the shop. I think i met him but i dont' quite remember because My mind was elsewhere when i heard the bad news. Noah stated that he pretty much watched him throughout the whole install to make sure it was installed right... the install looked clean.. but something was wrong apparently. the guy seem pretty nice.

they said that when they test drove the car, it drove fine and boosted ok. I would think that if the car was making 200 hp at wheel they should notice a bit of difference. i mean thats slower than stock.. its either that or they gave me a bogus dyno chart.. which i doubt.. the A/F was very consistent even when the engine went.

they did help me to get a new engine int here.. and for that i am grateful.. it is a 2 hour drive from where i live and at that time i was not aware of any other good reputable performance shops around the area. so I risk my life on the line and had them go through with the reinstall.. which again is a clean install. took a bit longer, . twice the ecu was sent to my house(first time was mine) instead of the location of the shop.. so i ended up driving up there quite a few times....

I thought it was kind of funny when they told me that the car is up and running good.. and then the next day my ecu came in my mail.. and i called them and they said.. oh yah, i think we got someone elses ecu mixed up. and tahts why they were having a hard time starting up my car..

with the wrong ecu and using the same key.. would it still start the car? so many questions and so many answers that to me .. did'nt make much sense. but then again i don't know as much as they do.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by LODOSS
I don't know who installed it.. but i was told that he just moved from the nissan dealer there and my car was his first Turbo install at the shop. I think i met him but i dont' quite remember because My mind was elsewhere when i heard the bad news. Noah stated that he pretty much watched him throughout the whole install to make sure it was installed right... the install looked clean.. but something was wrong apparently. the guy seem pretty nice.

they said that when they test drove the car, it drove fine and boosted ok. I would think that if the car was making 200 hp at wheel they should notice a bit of difference. i mean thats slower than stock.. its either that or they gave me a bogus dyno chart.. which i doubt.. the A/F was very consistent even when the engine went.

they did help me to get a new engine int here.. and for that i am grateful.. it is a 2 hour drive from where i live and at that time i was not aware of any other good reputable performance shops around the area. so I risk my life on the line and had them go through with the reinstall.. which again is a clean install. took a bit longer, . twice the ecu was sent to my house(first time was mine) instead of the location of the shop.. so i ended up driving up there quite a few times....

I thought it was kind of funny when they told me that the car is up and running good.. and then the next day my ecu came in my mail.. and i called them and they said.. oh yah, i think we got someone elses ecu mixed up. and tahts why they were having a hard time starting up my car..

with the wrong ecu and using the same key.. would it still start the car? so many questions and so many answers that to me .. did'nt make much sense. but then again i don't know as much as they do.
With the wrong ECU in the car it would start for about 10 seconds and shut itself off.