Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HELP All Stillen SC'd owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 PM
username

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP All Stillen SC'd owners

I just started hearing a noise in the engine bay over the past 2 weeks. It has been progressively getting louder. The sound started off really low to where you could only hear t with the windows down, but now, I can hear it with the windows up. If I put the windows down then it is really loud. I check my SC belt and it doesn't sem to have any unusual wear to it. The sound comes in around 1800rpm's and continue until the whine of the SC drowns it out. If I don't put the car under WOT I can hear it all the way up to 3500rpm. Whatever it is, it gets louder and faster the higher the RPM's go. I recenly took it to GRD (as many of you may know that Stillen sent me a bad SS box and GRD was putting in a new one) to have a dyno pull and my A/F ratios were great with no sounds of detination whatsoever. I am just wondering if one of my pulleys or belt tensioners are going out.

Say this outloud... ee ee ee ee ee to maybe a chirping sound? Arggghhhh!!!! This is so frustrating!!!!

My wife says that it sounds like a clicking sound, but who knows.

I really don't want to have to take it to GRD again (they are about 2 hours away). I did notice 2 things when looking at the belts.

1. The belt to the far left looks a little frayed on the top back edge

2. The belt tensioner for the upfront center belt I can wobble it with my finger.

Neither of these 2 things are associated with each other as far as I can tell.

Any ideas???? for getting this fixed??? Would a standard belt shop be able to possibly fix this or would I really be better off to go back to GRD (4 hour round trip) for them to diagnois this?

Has anyone expierenced any of the pulley's or belt tensioners going out on these setup???

Any suggestions or other experiences would be helpful.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok first is it the belt as you are looking at the engine the one on the left low,thats the power steering belt.mine has had to be tightened 4 times,by me.now the sound,when you first start the car do you hear a squeal.while its running is it squealing or what.i need better info.also sounds like the idler pulley might be going bad.that will make it squeal and fray the belt.let me know.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
username

Originally Posted by superchargedg
ok first is it the belt as you are looking at the engine the one on the left low,thats the power steering belt.mine has had to be tightened 4 times,by me.now the sound,when you first start the car do you hear a squeal.while its running is it squealing or what.i need better info.also sounds like the idler pulley might be going bad.that will make it squeal and fray the belt.let me know.
1. Doesn't squeal at start up.
2. The frayed belt is the one on the low left side (while facing the engine)
3. The belt tension that I can make wobble is the front middle one (while facing the engine)
4. All belts feel tight, and when I mean *feel* According to the Stillen manual, you shouldn't be able to rotate the belt more than 60 (or is it 40??)degrees.
5. The noise only occurs above 1800 rpms.

I hope this makes a little more sense now.

Last edited by username; 06-11-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

witch tensioner is the one you say is loose and how much free play.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:00 PM
username

witch tensioner is the one you say is loose and how much free play.
Its the big black one in the front center belt configuration closest to the radiator. IT IS NOT THE SUPERCHARGER BELT.

.(O)
O) \
.(O)

Here is the worst diagram on earth showing it. It is the middle O.

Last edited by username; 06-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

ok when you say loose how loose 1/16 of an inch or is it more.and we need to stop hopping back and forth from the 2 forums.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:15 PM
username

ok when you say loose how loose 1/16 of an inch or is it more.and we need to stop hopping back and forth from the 2 forums.
LOL. Ok, we will stick to this one. Ha ha

I would say that it is less than a 16th.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by username
LOL. Ok, we will stick to this one. Ha ha

I would say that it is less than a 16th.
allright thats normal,unless the bearings are screwed up,which you cant tell unless you loosen the belt and spin it.i doubt that is the problem,im still willing to bet its the power steering belt.thats actually the only thing ive had a problem with.it needs to be tighter then normal,also when you get that belt replaced make sure to tell them to tighten it a little tighter then normal.make sure its a gates belt or if not a napa they are made by gates.any shop can do this.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:25 PM
username

allright thats normal,unless the bearings are screwed up,which you cant tell unless you loosen the belt and spin it.i doubt that is the problem,im still willing to bet its the power steering belt.thats actually the only thing ive had a problem with.it needs to be tighter then normal,also when you get that belt replaced make sure to tell them to tighten it a little tighter then normal.make sure its a gates belt or if not a napa they are made by gates.any shop can do this.
cool, thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get home... in 2 weeks Stinking work!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

good luck thats the only thing i can think it would be.only cause mine did the same thing.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:05 PM
username

Thanks.