Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NHRA Legal Roll Bars for the Z...the search continues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 PM
knight_white99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I weighed my Kirk bar (straight rear braces) before I installed it. Not light - 71 pounds including hardware.

Do a search - there are pics of my roll bar and many, many others on this forum.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
mrtomcat

car is getting heavier with every mod

Next is figuring out how to loose some of that weight again.

BTW what type of harness are people using and do you have to wear it for every day driving or can one put it aside and use the oem belts when not at the track?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
knight_white99

I use a G-Force harness, and I have to use them every day I drive the car, since I have also replaced the stock seat. (The stock seat belt uses the buckle that is attached to the stock seat - removing the stock seat renders the stock seat belt useless).
Old 07-04-2006, 04:26 AM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured it like this. For the cost of a $1500 to 2k bar installed I could ge the material and just purchase the tools needed. A MIG with AR/CO2 rig, tubing notcher and 1/2 drill, chop saw and a drill press. I recommend on a unibody that you do the double plate bolt in. I chopped the main hoop to size then marked the floor where the plates should go. I drilled the floor plates at the four corners and did this in pairs and marked the direction of the plates so when I installed them their was no guessing on the alignment of the holes, put the top plate in the right spot then drill through the floor. Bolt the top and bottom plate together with grade 8 hardware. Air tools help here because you want to clamp the plates together very tightly so that the floor pan and the plates bend together into the flatish shape. I did this at all five spots where the plates went, it worked out real nice. then tack the main hoop in and go from their. A large welding tarp is a needed here to protect the interior from welding spatter. I did all the welding with a Harbor Freight welder, but using Lincoln wire. I consumed nearly a full 20cf bottle of AR/CO2, so next time I would get a 40cf bottle to be sure. A few cans of spray paint and the padding and your done. Sounds easy doesn't it

Last edited by MardiGrasMax; 07-04-2006 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:05 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
car is getting heavier with every mod

Next is figuring out how to loose some of that weight again.

BTW what type of harness are people using and do you have to wear it for every day driving or can one put it aside and use the oem belts when not at the track?
I have the same problem with weight!

I ordered FIA approved racing seats to go with my roll bar. That way the weight I add with the roll bar will come off with the seats. Yet, I will only loose around 50# w/ the seats (since I have leather seats) and gain 70# with the roll bar. Oh, well, not sliding around on the seat and the added safety of the roll bar is worth 20#!

I also ordered the G-Force 5-point harnesses, since they are the least expensive FIA approved harness on the market. And NASA makes you replace the harness every 2 years or after a crash, which ever comes first! Hope the 2 years comes first

Everything goes in her next week, just in time for Barber Motorsports Park!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM
mrtomcat

I read that some people got tickets for driving with a harness on the streets, is there some law against it?

other than the seats and the plastic stuff what could possibly be done to loose more wieght?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that some people got tickets for driving with a harness on the streets, is there some law against it?

other than the seats and the plastic stuff what could possibly be done to loose more wieght?
Five points are not DOT approved. On a Maxima you can unbolt the seatbelt receiver from the seat, cant you do that on a 350Z seat too. Then just bolt it to the new seat frame?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:58 PM
mrtomcat

so if I keep the oem seats for now I will still be able to use the oem seatbelts for everyday driving?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Five points are not DOT approved. On a Maxima you can unbolt the seatbelt receiver from the seat, cant you do that on a 350Z seat too. Then just bolt it to the new seat frame?
Hmm - you don't by chance have the law that says that making the car safer for the driver and passanger is against the law? It just doesn't make sense, but then again most laws don't

Edit - I just read the law of my state and the states around me. They just require that a driver (not the passangers) where a seat belt. There is no wording about what kind of seat belt.

Heck - there actually is no law in Gerogia that enforce you to wear a seat belt. What kind of backward state do I live in?

Last edited by MoodDude; 07-04-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
mrtomcat

LOL

well the way things are it'll be illegal to sit in a car in california soon...I'm sooo ready to move
Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 AM
vq35carel

Default PM me if interested in a NHRA roll cage for the Z

PM me if interested in a NHRA roll cage for the Z.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
MoodDude

I talked to Kirk Racing - he said he would be willing to build NHRA legal roll bars for the Z. He said he would just need someone's Z in his shop to do the measurements. So, if you guys could get someone in Birmingham with a Z over to his shop, then you will have an off the shelf roll bar for the Z.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey MRC guys, i would go with the chromoly if possible, it is almost 40% lighter than steel.

well worth the couple extra dollars..
Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by MoodDude
I talked to Kirk Racing - he said he would be willing to build NHRA legal roll bars for the Z. He said he would just need someone's Z in his shop to do the measurements. So, if you guys could get someone in Birmingham with a Z over to his shop, then you will have an off the shelf roll bar for the Z.
interesting of course now we need a test subject
Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
hey MRC guys, i would go with the chromoly if possible, it is almost 40% lighter than steel.

well worth the couple extra dollars..
thanks for the tip, I was wondering what the benefit was
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Jason@MRC
I spoke to them today and the mild steel 8 point is actually only 179.99 and they have a 10% off sale now... The chromoly 8 point is 399- the10%... I am ordering the mild steel one this week to try out.... Just FYI though, you will still need to do some work to put this in besides basic welding.. They also have the swing out kits for $35 each or so... They also do not make ay type of bolt in bars for the Z... My only concern being 6'1" is how much room I will lose behind the seat and how close the hoop is to my head... Other tha that, seems like a great deal...
did you ever order the bar and get it installed?
I am about to finally place my order and was hoping for positive feedback from you before I do
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

did you ever order the bar and get it installed?
I am about to finally place my order and was hoping for positive feedback from you before I do
No he never did..He did however manage to wrap his car around a pole and total it..
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 AM
punish_her

EEEWWWW !!!! So what you are saying is he now has a roll bar available? Any other goodies. Sorry I am a vulture. So does he have upgraded half shafts?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
No he never did..He did however manage to wrap his car around a pole and total it..
DAMN, I hope he is ok
Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Did you ever get the roll bar!

Also does anyone ever find a place that sells NHRA legal Bars?

Quick Reply: NHRA Legal Roll Bars for the Z...the search continues