Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Looks like I've been missing all the fun..........

Thanks Michael (Mr.A) and Ed (Eagle1) for the kind words,

However a competent driver can carry a car well enough to make up for a lack of power, yet there IS only so much that can be done. The faster (bigger) tracks will make a lack of power increasingly more obvious.

hahaha, not too sure about that (might get alot of strange looks.)

Lets get down to business and get this Z vs. 360 challenge underway.....should be fun, and could get interesting!!
ok, no patch scott. but i think a cape would be awesome!!!!
scott kinda had me going once before i knew he could drive. neighborhoods aren't made for drifting, lol. all good. hope you guys are doing good down there.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Weqster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
I don't know what shops you've talked to but i would never take a NA car, boost it, and not put andy type of monotoring devices on it.i would definately not take my car to a place that told me that. Did your other shops tell you that a stock clutch would hold up to 20 high speed laps on a road course also? Just curious. It's always hard to hammer out details like this in a public forum because of all the various opinions. For the sake of my fingers(i'm a really bad typer), i'm gonna sit back and let this one ride out.

No offense guys, but just because you have money, doesnt mean u need to throw it at people for everything. I have seen many HKS, Defi, greddy and top of the line autometers fail. My friends HKS gauge was reading 5psi FFS. thats $160 for a guage that failed in 2 months.

$25shipped for that entire setup. Oil pres+temp are eletrical. Reads exactly the same as my datalogs and has done so for 1year now.... Oh and last time i checked, the store i bought em off still had some in stock. I'll hook u up??

USED/Bullitproof: U keep bring up RRP. Once again, i do not enjoy throwing my money away. It seems alot of people in this thread ENJOY this past time though. 10minutes spent on the internet researching before u buy any part will show u the rediculous markup that the car modification industry puts on products. If u have ever sold/talked to a dealer, u will understand that 30-50% off any products RRP is no uncommon.

Now lets put all these idea's together. YOu have a shop which is selling a package deal on products they have installed hundreds of times (combined). This means they will be highly efficent, know all the tricks and techniques to do something, will probably have basemaps or beginner tuned that they can quickly refine and have the expertise to understand the shortfalls of a product to take precautions and realise limits. All this combined means less time spent, less chance of failure, less chance of returns/warrenty issues and more chance of a smooth and safe ride.

P.S: Any respectable ECU will have boost cut features.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
USED

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Now. To the business before us. I see the cards dealt, the rules agreed, the chips in the pot.....and Michael has called the hand. Time to put up or shut up.
USED here.

I'm playing serious "catch up", but the above is not an accurate statement. This boat is definitely leaning to one side. That much is obvious.

Mostly, my head is spinning from all the double talk and biased reports . The original theme is gone. Now everyone is ranting "go, go, go". No agreement has been established on what a "reliable", "daily driver", "360 BEATING" machine should have/be. There is no "itemization" at all. It's cool that VRT is building "package" cars, but 99% of my customers want a breakdown of things, not just a receipt with a figure at the bottom.

My standards of building a reliable/daily driver/weekend track car have been proven to be quite higher than most here. I'm actually quite happy about that. That is what we do. There are a few here that stand on my side of the line (BULLITPROOF/SHARIF). . . it's funny how SHARIF's post go on almost unoticed.

That's all I can say for now. I'm gonna talk to MRATURBO when I have a moment to sit down. We'll see if we can get something going on relatively soon. I have a car in the back ground and the funds are there too. One of my biggest challenges to get this done is the fact that the hypothetical car doesn't meet my standards.

It's tuesday, I have a serious gas fume induced headache, I put about 10 min into this thread today. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

USED - I am confused as to what the challenge actually is I think. I thought it was a challenge to VRT to see if it could be done for 20k. Simple, clean, and only governed by the standards of the laws of what is street legal and what is not.

You are saying that the car has to be up to your standards, which leaves us with a huge gray area. What if your standards are higher than general public's? Thats not an accurate assesment of what can be done to these cars for the budget given.

So is this a challenge to see if VRT can build a car to compete, or build YOU a car to compete? I understand that it will be your car and your money, but IMO, its not a challenge if you make them put gauges and other things in your car because thats the way that you would want it. It should be straight forward no gray areas.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Sorry For Any Delays

Here is What VRT Will Offer USED for his $20k in 350Z Modifications
* Obviously this doesn't include any applicable tax.
* As mentioned, No Turbo Kits in California are CARB as of yet so this build is for OFF ROAD PURPOSES ONLY.

FI
JWT Twin Turbo Kit/ Out of the Box
-BB530 Turbos
-Inter-cooler for the 350Z
-Split Second Air/Fuel/Timing control
-Fuel/Boost Pressure Regulator included
-Waste Gate Springs Adjusted to 8.5 PSI

Clutch and Flywheel
* If Needed ONLY...
JWT Clutch and Flywheel

Brakes
Ap Racing
6 Piston Fr/14.25 and 4 Piston Rear

Rear End
Stock 350Z Rear End - Assuming this isn't a One Wheeled Wonder!

Suspension
VRT Custom Coil Over for the 350Z
Stillen Adjustable Sways Front and Rear
VRT Front Camber for the 350Z/G35
VRT Rear Camber/Toe

Wheels
Enkei NT03 +M 18” MAT track wheels 9.5”F/10.5”R

Tires
Nitto NT-01 275/35 F and 315/30R or
Kumho ECSTA V710 285/18/30 and 315/18/30
* 350z and 360 Ferrari are to run on the EXACT SAME TIRE Brand and Size...

Cooling
VRT Upgraded Radiator and Oil Cooler
* High capacity aluminum radiator
Nismo 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap

ECU
JWT ECU Re-flash for 7300 Rev and Top Speed

Boost Controller
None - Springs set to 8.5 PSI

Gauges
No Gauges Necessary, car will be tuned for 8.5 PSI and Air/Fuel Ratios in healthy 11s

Other
Light Weight Pully System

Profit and Labor
Yes, we have calculated a Profit that makes sense for VRT. Trust me, would love to put at least a built bottom-end (rods and pistons) to boost 12 PSI yet then it wouldn't make sense to even VRT at $20k (NO PROFIT).

LOL...Would make this easier for sure to Beat the Ferrari 360 to simply turn up the boost EVEN on the track with Race Fuel (100 Octane Unleaded would be fine) however would like to keep the power reasonable, - what the hell. We have raced many Non-Built motor on the track on racefuel with great results at 10 PSI, that will be a decision for race day. We are having fun at any rate.
Note: We do not ship the JWT kits to other shops so what their or your estimated cost for install doesn't apply. It is what VRT can do it for! USED said a $20k budget and I said, send the car and he will get what he wanted, a Z that can beat a 360 on the road race track. Please don't waste my time about there is NO WAY WE CAN DO THIS FOR THIS PRICE. VRT will do this for this price! If you have any doubts, send the car and the $20k and let's get the show on the road - No hesitation from VRT.

Tuned Power Expectations
410 WHP and 400 Ft/Lbs Torque

Special Notes
Legal Disclaimer (Remember we are on a Public Forum)
USED Will provide a 350Z to VRT. We will build him the car with $20k (not including applicable tax) in modifications for the purpose of Racing Off-Road. VRT contends these modifications will allow the Z with a QUALIFIED driver the ability to Compete and Yes (We will see - Beat) a Ferrari 360 Modena (With Same Tires) in a 20 Lap Timed Trial Event at Willow Springs Raceway. Best Time Wins for the 20 laps! In the end, We can ONLY hope for the best. I am just stoked that Nissan has created an Fm Platform with the VQ that can even compete at any Supercar level with a reasonable amount of modifications. You might say, How Is $20k reasonable when you can buy the car used for almost $20k? And you put $20k into it.

Well Precisely, for an estimated $40k+, you have a legit Sports Car Road or Track that can compete with cars in price ranges from $75-$200k! Not bad as far as VRT is concerned.
Is this NOT an itemization of what is going on?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by USED
USED here.

I'm playing serious "catch up", but the above is not an accurate statement. This boat is definitely leaning to one side. That much is obvious.

Mostly, my head is spinning from all the double talk and biased reports . The original theme is gone. Now everyone is ranting "go, go, go". No agreement has been established on what a "reliable", "daily driver", "360 BEATING" machine should have/be. There is no "itemization" at all. It's cool that VRT is building "package" cars, but 99% of my customers want a breakdown of things, not just a receipt with a figure at the bottom.

My standards of building a reliable/daily driver/weekend track car have been proven to be quite higher than most here. I'm actually quite happy about that. That is what we do. There are a few here that stand on my side of the line (BULLITPROOF/SHARIF). . . it's funny how SHARIF's post go on almost unoticed.

That's all I can say for now. I'm gonna talk to MRATURBO when I have a moment to sit down. We'll see if we can get something going on relatively soon. I have a car in the back ground and the funds are there too. One of my biggest challenges to get this done is the fact that the hypothetical car doesn't meet my standards.

It's tuesday, I have a serious gas fume induced headache, I put about 10 min into this thread today. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I also think it is virtually impossible for everyone to agree on what a "reliable" daily driver would be. People have their own takes on what they feel are/is adequate. The bottom line is can the car that VRT is building be a daily driver? Yes, would they stand behind it the same way that they satnd behind their other cars, I do believe so. Mike is right when he said that there is a huge gray area now where a lot of people paying attention here did not realize there was.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by USED
USED here.

My standards of building a reliable/daily driver/weekend track car have been proven to be quite higher than most here. I'm actually quite happy about that. That is what we do. There are a few here that stand on my side of the line (BULLITPROOF/SHARIF). . . it's funny how SHARIF's post go on almost unnoticed.

USED,

Left a message for you at your work number provided.

I actually thought the challenge was to build a car that can to fill the shoes of this question:

HAROBARK - Panama
350Z VS Ferrari 360
"Hi, what turbo kit and tune i need to beat a ferrari 360 modena on the race track an still have a daily driven car. Can somebody answer my question please?"

Now, - if this is what we are still talking about, then I believe VRT has provided a list of modifications that will satisfy his needs.

He didn't even say ANY BUDGET...I just said VRT could do it for $20k and most of you said it couldn't be done for ONLY $20k.

So, whether you want this build or NOT, WE are going to have a car that can ANSWER HAROBARK'S Question:

As a matter of fact, we have this very car on JWT's dyno as we speak.

Have a nice Day! This is still fun...Not a headache for VRT!

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 07-11-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 PM
pecora55

I believe a list was provided in previous posts of the items going on the car... It can easily be found and navygolf has quoted as well...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Bullitproof

Sorry to interject, but when USED said price list, i think he meant for the prices to actually be listed............
Old 07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
iNi_REALiZED

Sorry to interject, but when USED said price list, i think he meant for the prices to actually be listed............
I don't see a reason for a pricelist to be documented, as has been mentioned before. It would be too hard to list parts and labor pricing when offering a package deal. A parts list has been listed, and has been said it can be done with 20k. As far as I'm concerned thats all that is needed, so long as VRT can offer a package similar to it to any Joe coming off of the street. I think the only thing holding this build up, is there has been no consensus of what a daily driven street car IS. I think it would be easier if USED was to post a list of areas he would like covered, and then from there have a general blue print drawn up and agreed upon. Just my .02 cents...

-iNi
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 AM
pecora55

Everything is listed out that he is getting and the price is 20k... Sounds like a price list to me

VRT, Just put a list together and throw some #s on it and the put grand total at the bottom = $20,000.00... Think that would work as long as it all adds up...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by mraturbo
USED,

Left a message for you at your work number provided.

I actually thought the challenge was to build a car that can to fill the shoes of this question:

HAROBARK - Panama
350Z VS Ferrari 360
"Hi, what turbo kit and tune i need to beat a ferrari 360 modena on the race track an still have a daily driven car. Can somebody answer my question please?"

Now, - if this is what we are still talking about, then I believe VRT has provided a list of modifications that will satisfy his needs.

He didn't even say ANY BUDGET...I just said VRT could do it for $20k and most of you said it couldn't be done for ONLY $20k.

So, whether you want this build or NOT, WE are going to have a car that can ANSWER HAROBARK'S Question:

As a matter of fact, we have this very car on JWT's dyno as we speak.

Have a nice Day! This is still fun...Not a headache for VRT!

M
Just like M said above, he already has this car at his shop, it is just not USED's car. Hopefully they can get the details worked out so this can be settled.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
ActionJackson

USED's responses after Mike posted up his itemized list have been lackluster, and it seems like he's the one unwilling to go on with this project. If you're gonna bring a challenge to a shop, bring it. Tell us what it is exactly "YOU" want. How about you itemize or write a 10 page essay about how a car should be reliable, how its driven every day, what you use it for on a daily, weekly, monthy, and yearly basis so that VRT can see if they can cover everything YOU want for 20k?

You say their itemized list they provided isn't enough because it doesn't have prices by each item? BS. They have no obligation to do that because it would probably jeporadize their business. Imagine all the other shops here drooling over the possibility of seeing a competitor's actual prices?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
rAiN

lol wow.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by ActionJackson
USED's responses after Mike posted up his itemized list have been lackluster, and it seems like he's the one unwilling to go on with this project. If you're gonna bring a challenge to a shop, bring it. Tell us what it is exactly "YOU" want. How about you itemize or write a 10 page essay about how a car should be reliable, how its driven every day, what you use it for on a daily, weekly, monthy, and yearly basis so that VRT can see if they can cover everything YOU want for 20k?

You say their itemized list they provided isn't enough because it doesn't have prices by each item? BS. They have no obligation to do that because it would probably jeporadize their business. Imagine all the other shops here drooling over the possibility of seeing a competitor's actual prices?
I know it's kinda low-tech action-j, but they both have phones and they both own shops. Maybe today wasn't a good time for USED or WA2GOOD to trade witty banter. Maybe tomorrow though, just because it's thursday.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 AM
USED

How about you itemize or write a 10 page essay about how a car should be reliable, how its driven every day, what you use it for on a daily, weekly, monthy, and yearly basis so that VRT can see if they can cover everything YOU want for 20k?
Wait a minute AJ.....are you being sarcastic??? If not, your getting carried away. It comes down to standards regardless of budget. This is the primary reason for my interjection on this thread at all. I have discovered my standards in building this type of car are much higher than most people involved in this thread. I'm happy about that. As Sharif stated "some corners must be cut to do it for $20G" (not verbatim, but that's the theme). Indeed.

Uh, dude. . . any competent shop already knows this information. No one drools. There is no top secret formula. There is cost and there is margin. Those number vary according to certain factors. Sometimes you make more and sometimes you make less. It's basic business practices. This is not a session on how to become better versed in such or an espionage mission.

Don't get it twisted. This is not a competition between shops. Don't try to make it that. Michael and VRT are great. They do great things with JWT and the VQ FM platform. I'm sure mraturbo and I will become good friends. I simply don't have multiple hours on a daily basis to dedicate to this topic and for that, I apologize.

So, it's back to work for me.

Have a great day
Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 AM
punish_her

Not to OT or any thing but....

Tires
Nitto NT-01 275/35 F and 315/30R or
Kumho ECSTA V710 285/18/30 and 315/18/30
* 350z and 360 Ferrari are to run on the EXACT SAME TIRE Brand and Size...

These are the largest you can fit in the wheel well and not rub? you running a 30 offset right? How about the front? no rubbing issues there or is it 30 offset as well?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by punish_her
Not to OT or any thing but....

These are the largest you can fit in the wheel well and not rub? you running a 30 offset right? How about the front? no rubbing issues there or is it 30 offset as well?

This is what I did on my car:
27mm offset in the front. 30mm offset in rear. 3mm spacer all around.
9.5 inch wheel in front, 10.5 inch wheel in back. Using the Enkei NT03+M wheel. 3.5 degrees negative camber in front on adjustable front UCA. On the fronts there was no rubbing inside or out. On the rears the right rear was fine, the left rear needed a very very slight roll of the little flange of sheet metal along the inner well, with a wooden dowl, because that did barely rub on my car. But I have now run that set up on multiple track days smoothly. I think that when you use these sizes you are truly at the "max" limit for sizing and there will be some individual variances that might make some tweaking necessary, like my left rear trim/roll.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
mraturbo
Banned

9.5 inch wheel in front, 10.5 inch wheel in back. Using the Enkei NT03+M wheel. 3.5 degrees negative camber in front on adjustable front UCA. On the fronts there was no rubbing inside or out. On the rears the right rear was fine, the left rear needed a very very slight roll of the little flange of sheet metal along the inner well, with a wooden dowl, because that did barely rub on my car. But I have now run that set up on multiple track days smoothly. I think that when you use these sizes you are truly at the "max" limit for sizing and there will be some individual variances that might make some tweaking necessary, like my left rear trim/roll.
More rubber, more grip!

The Nitto is really pushing the limit, Pirelli Corsas will work dandy as well.

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 07-13-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Also, on Eagle1's car those Nittos, although rated at a 315, actually measured out to be a 323, so that could have contributed to the slight rubbing. I run the following setup on my car...

18" x 9.5" Nismo LMGT4 +30 offset all around.
Michellin Pilot Sport Cup Tires - 285/30/18 F, 315/30/18 R with no rubbing at all, no rolled fenders.

Although 315 is a little bit of a stretch for a 9.5" rim, the short stiff sidewall makes up for the stretch. If possible, a 305/30/18 is an ideal size for that wheel. The Nitto's on Ed's car are the only wheels I have found that have an 18" x 10.5" +30, but they also don't make an 18" x 9.5" +30 for the front, only +27. An ideal wheel / tire setup would be...

18" x 9.5" +30 Front with 285/30/18 tire
18" x 10.5" +30 Rear with 315/30/18 tire.

Quick Reply: Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT