Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
GMZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
I have no doubt these cars can do everything vrt says they can, but just not for 20 grand. if i'm wrong, post up your price list and i'll shut up on this thread. ooooooh, you're not even boosted, my bad. just to get you up to speed, USED isn't saying that a modded 350z couldn't keep pace with a modena, he's saying that you can't do it for the price they say.
Hehe, let me clarify. I dont work for VRT, just have seen their cars and spoken with Michael at length about lots of things VQ. And no I am not boosted, yet check my sig for an update this weekend! VRT's thing is that they custom make a car to your exact needs/wants. So things will vary somewhat which is why Michael said $20K "RANGE".
Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
USED

Originally Posted by dscheers
They do say "20K range", guess that can be up to 29,999.99US$ ???

No, the origin of this is based on a $20k budget. Of course, all new parts please.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

common now Michael...you've got just a tad more than $20K invested in your car.
But your point is well taken. A basic 350z plus another chunk of change can easily destroy just about any supercar on the road, for 1/3 of the total delivered price.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
common now Michael...you've got just a tad more than $20K invested in your car.
But your point is well taken. A basic 350z plus another chunk of change can easily destroy just about any supercar on the road, for 1/3 of the total delivered price.
Not my car, I admit my car is well over my budget...

Yet a used Z with $20,000 invested will hit our budget

Thanks for your clarifications

USED...

Hope you guys like the video, we enjoyed making it yesterday.

M
Old 07-03-2006, 08:17 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by USED
Well, I'm back. Patience is a virtue. Good work on the trials at the track (although not as originally stated). What were the actual time results?

First and foremost, I would like to say that I am a JDM purist. That is why I decided to go with a GT-R instead of a Porsche 996-997 or Ferrari 360/430. Never the less, I appreciate and respect both aforementioned examples. Yes, I also like the Z-06. I don't have any animosity toward the Z/G or any of their respective owners. I own a built and boosted Z as well. I have lost count on how may of these cars I have built for customers. On to the point.

The original post stated:

"Hi, what turbo kit and tune i need to beat a ferrari 360 modena on the race track an still have a daily driven car. Can somebody answer my question please?"

Further it was expanded to:

"With at least $20,000 into your Z and you will be killing anything at the track depending on your skills."

mraturbo:

"If you want performance, you will need at least $20k as a package and NOT JUST A TURBO KIT, for with just that Mod you still will not have a complete car for world-class performance."

USED:

"I have to call you out on this one. All that for $20g???? Seems unlikely."

mraturbo:

"Send the Money and you will get what you are asking for..."

O.K., I've been hard at work behind the scenes as usual. I have at my disposal, a bone stock 350z and a check for $20k. I also have at least 3 360 Modenas to provide services.

Here's my proposal:

I will delivery you a bone stock 350z and a check for $20k. Regardless of the outcome of the event. I get to keep the 350z with all the upgrades that I paid for. You provide the press. I want an itemized spec sheet of all parts/labor/services at real retail publicly displayed on this forum prior to the track day. Everyone can review and post their opinions/experiences on the build sheet.

We will have a 3rd party (professional driver) we both agree upon to drive both cars. He will only take the cars to reasonable limits (ex. no overheating/no overboosting/ of course, pump gas-no meth/water inj). The cars should be tested in all the usual test (0-60, braking distance, etc.) as well as the short twisty track and high speed track.

Some items must be kept equal. For instance, if the Z is on race compound tires/pads, so is the 360. If the Z is off cats, then so is the 360. I would rather see both cars race in street trim. This would be the best since the original post said "daily driver".

I can provide the Z. I can provide the $20k budget. I can provide the 360. You build the car and provide the press. This will be awesome.

Don't mis-judge me. I am NOT in the Ferrari corner. I am NOT in the Z corner. I just don't believe this can realistically be accomplished on a $20K budget. That was my original and only point.
Let's start ASAP.

I want to build you a monster Z for $20k...You provide the car...I will build you what you want.

M
Old 07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
What does $20,000 get you VRT?
Will provide a full parts list...

Give me a day...Yes my GirlFriend IS VERY HOT...

She doesn't come with the deal.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes easily put you at $10K, and the turbo kit at $7K. Thats $17, just for two areas of the car, without any labor.

$20K is not realistic, IMHO.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 PM
USED

I'll have the Z in two weeks. I'm working with a 3rd party that is actually donating the car. It's amazing what a buzz this has created. They don't think it can be done @ that price either. I wanna see that spec sheet in the meantime mraturbo
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Excellent - Very Interesting

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Let's start ASAP.

I want to build you a monster Z for $20k...You provide the car...I will build you what you want.

M
As Used had posted:

Well, I'm back. Patience is a virtue. Good work on the trials at the track (although not as originally stated). What were the actual time results?

First and foremost, I would like to say that I am a JDM purist. That is why I decided to go with a GT-R instead of a Porsche 996-997 or Ferrari 360/430. Never the less, I appreciate and respect both aforementioned examples. Yes, I also like the Z-06. I don't have any animosity toward the Z/G or any of their respective owners. I own a built and boosted Z as well. I have lost count on how may of these cars I have built for customers. On to the point.

The original post stated:

"Hi, what turbo kit and tune i need to beat a ferrari 360 modena on the race track an still have a daily driven car. Can somebody answer my question please?"

Further it was expanded to:

"With at least $20,000 into your Z and you will be killing anything at the track depending on your skills."

mraturbo:

"If you want performance, you will need at least $20k as a package and NOT JUST A TURBO KIT, for with just that Mod you still will not have a complete car for world-class performance."

USED:

"I have to call you out on this one. All that for $20g???? Seems unlikely."

mraturbo:

"Send the Money and you will get what you are asking for..."

O.K., I've been hard at work behind the scenes as usual. I have at my disposal, a bone stock 350z and a check for $20k. I also have at least 3 360 Modenas to provide services.

Here's my proposal:

I will delivery you a bone stock 350z and a check for $20k. Regardless of the outcome of the event. I get to keep the 350z with all the upgrades that I paid for. You provide the press. I want an itemized spec sheet of all parts/labor/services at real retail publicly displayed on this forum prior to the track day. Everyone can review and post their opinions/experiences on the build sheet.

We will have a 3rd party (professional driver) we both agree upon to drive both cars. He will only take the cars to reasonable limits (ex. no overheating/no overboosting/ of course, pump gas-no meth/water inj). The cars should be tested in all the usual test (0-60, braking distance, etc.) as well as the short twisty track and high speed track.

Some items must be kept equal. For instance, if the Z is on race compound tires/pads, so is the 360. If the Z is off cats, then so is the 360. I would rather see both cars race in street trim. This would be the best since the original post said "daily driver".

I can provide the Z. I can provide the $20k budget. I can provide the 360. You build the car and provide the press. This will be awesome.

Don't mis-judge me. I am NOT in the Ferrari corner. I am NOT in the Z corner. I just don't believe this can realistically be accomplished on a $20K budget. That was my original and only point.

End......................................................... ....................................

From Amy

Yes Sir: A car provided and 20K provided. I am sure the VRT crew can exceed the 360. As some 350Z sponser's could add a few parts to VRT project, would that be aceptable?

Cheers Amy -

Last edited by AmyCroft; 07-03-2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Separate Post from new question....
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
knight_white99

I haven't even watched the video yet. I don't really need to, since I was also at the track yesterday, and got to see it for myself.

I have a VRT installed JWT turbo kit (plus a larger radiator and oli cooler). The rest I did myself (brakes, suspension, etc.).

Michael has an amazingly fast car, and drives it very well, too. My car does not have his kind of horsepower (I do not have a built motor), but is still making better than 400hp to the wheels. I was there when they dynoed it!

For myself, it was my first time to drive a car at Big Willow. I didn't have many laps to learn the track (and I had some clutch problems - nothing to do with VRT or the turbo kit), and it was a killer hot day, but by the third session out, I was getting the hang of the track. Because of the clutch problems, I was just shifting twice per lap - 5th to 4th into turn 1, and 4th to 5th on the back stretch after turn 7. Certainly, if I had more laps, and was able to use the car to its full potential, I could have gone faster. But I was impressed by the torque of the tubo kit - never really needed to use 3rd gear even between turns 3 and 4.

How did my car do? Well, I was able to catch AND PASS a very fast, well driven Porsche 911 Turbo. That's still shifting just twice per lap! Plus my car was "gear challenged," since I have the 3.35 gear installed for high speed running - not so good for track acceleration. Another track ready 350Z who started behind me - well, I never saw him. My mirrors were clear the entire third session (except for the Porsche that I passed - ).

I was on the track with the Ferrari while I was still learning the track in the second session. It is a beautiful and fast car, no doubt. I spoke to the driver (Jim) after the session. He mentioned that he couldn't catch me on the back straight, and didn't understand why. I told him that I had a VRT turbo installed in my car. "Oh, that's why," was his reply.

Bottom line - if Michael says he can build a Ferrari (or Porsche) beater for your $20K, you had better believe it!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
USED

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Let's start ASAP.

M
I already have a monster Z. I don't want another one. I want to reinforce to my customer base that we are entirely upfront (although on the higher side, but that is for the quality and promise we deliver) about our pricing. Too many times I find myself on the delivery side of a estimate and the customer saying "God Damn! It's how much?!". Well, yes, it is. I have only built one "almost" track worthy (to my minimum standards) 400+whp 350Z for under $20k. That car had many "previously owned" parts to keep it in that budget and it was stock bottom end. I really hate playing the pessimist, but $20G, I still can't fathom it.

It's all good though.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
USED

Originally Posted by AmyCroft
From Amy

Yes Sir: A car provided and 20K provided. I am sure the VRT crew can exceed the 360. As some 350Z sponser's could add a few parts to VRT project, would that be aceptable?

Cheers Amy -
Unfortunately no. Although a very nice gesture and quite thoughtful, that destroys the entire point. It has to be complete realistic retail.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:01 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Now I understand what you are looking for.

I already have a monster Z. I don't want another one. I want to reinforce to my customer base that we are entirely upfront (although on the higher side, but that is for the quality and promise we deliver) about our pricing. Too many times I find myself on the delivery side of a estimate and the customer saying "God Damn! It's how much?!". Well, yes, it is. I have only built one "almost" track worthy (to my minimum standards) 400+whp 350Z for under $20k. That car had many "previously owned" parts to keep it in that budget and it was stock bottom end. I really hate playing the pessimist, but $20G, I still can't fathom it.

It's all good though.
Very good news for you Used. For your customer base VRT is most likely to provide your answer.

Cheers Amy -
Old 07-03-2006, 09:03 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Understood

Unfortunately no. Although a very nice gesture and quite thoughtful, that destroys the entire point. It has to be complete realistic retail.
Roger Understood..

Cheers Amy -
Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

oh boy - it never ends...
Old 07-04-2006, 04:04 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Philthy
oh boy - it never ends...
Morning Philthy.

Hope you are doing well.

M
Old 07-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

VRT Video's for windows media player.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:35 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Thanks JY.

Appreciate the help.

M
Old 07-04-2006, 07:57 AM
knight_white99

BTW, I gladly volunteer to be the driver for the little shootout between the VRT 350Z and the Ferrari. Just let me know where and when.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 AM
tig488

nice vid, i always knew them VRT cars was fast.

Quick Reply: Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT